• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Hey ladies, Gotta get your opinions on this

What do you think?

• Way to go, the kid should learn not to throw fits

• She might have handled it a bit better

• Well.. I wouldn't do that

• What the #$&# was she thinking! Pick the kid up and give him what he wants!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimerpuff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2009
CO, USA
www.OneStopDIYShop.com
I can't vote on polls.. didnt see a link.. on the topic of tantrums... When my middle child was young (he was my worst stinker) we would spend hours in the groc store.. everytime he acted up, we would stop where ever we were and have a five minute sit on the floor time out! As a single parent, it was my only option lol

PatriciafromCO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
Colorado
I think ignore is good,,,. I'm for it.....

Use to take my neighbor and her kid to the store they didn't have a vehicle.. And geesh she never get out of a store without buying 50.00 worth of junk to keep her kid quiet... The kid was faking it , fake fake fake knowing that if he started fake screaming and crying she would just throw what ever it was, in the basket.. Here's a family that can't buy a second vehicle ,, but can spend $80.00 away in a day for this little brat throwing these fake fits...

The kid responded well to authority,,, any time I stepped in and said no, it ant happening, this is not going in my vehicle you and your mom can walk home side of the road....

lol lol lol lol .... not a peep or fit out of him........ And funny instead of being any sense greatful from the neighbor,, she was upset that I stepped in.. So I told her the same thing, her and her kid can walk since they got all that money to just burn, not buy their own vehicle or help pay for gas....

still no second vehicle,, still has a bratty kid.... but she got someone else to drive her around... that I just left her high and dry and wont help her.. go figure why kids are in the state they are today.....

ladyraj

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hilarious!!! I've been that frustrated with my boys before. They're grown now but I remember it well. This type of behavior may have happened once and was met with the Mommy death look and the tantrum subsided.:)

Yeah, I would have dragged the errant ankle biter! But NOT over gravel, glass, or hot coals even though I may be sorely tempted!

Mo JJC

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Illinois, USA
My option wasn't up there:) I found one or two .... warmings is all it takes:) Then after that the evil eye will usually stop them in their tracks:)

RIMP:evil:
I believe in .... warmings myself. However in todays world people say it's chid abuse.
If I was shopping in the store, and someone had a screaming wild"child" I would have to say something to the parent about controlling their animal.:mad:

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
There were rules when my my kids were young children, we reviewed them out side the store's door.
1. No begging, ask once and that's it. Ask twice the answer is NO!
2. Keep your hands to yourself or behind your back! You touch it, I "Touch" you! (those were the days of , you break it, you bought it from store owners.)
3. No sitting down when Mom drags you. (daughter would refuse to walk so I just kept going. She would try to sit down to make it harder for me to walk..nope, she just ended up with rug burn. The warning was to prevent rug burn.)

I would have keep going with the cart..rug burn hurts!
Good for you Pat. Parents do children no favors when they are too easy. Do you think that kids boss will give him a raise if he pitches a hissy fit? Does he think cops will let him go if he pouts? Will his wife just give in if he holds his breath? (she will probably hold his nose and mouth..for him!)

Little kids are like lions, tame them with a firm voice, an gentle hand and rules or you will get eaten alive!
:shock:

m1273c

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2009
Texas, U.S.A.
When my kid was 4 we were at Disney and he threw a fit:) I warmed his .... and he quit:) An old man came up to me and said "that's child abuse!" 8-o I told him if he didn't leave my business alone, we were about to have some elder abuse:shock:

Mean momma:)

Okay - many would say that I don't HAVE a say because I do not have kids. But, I will comment anyway - I'm just contrary like that...
My view on this subject (corporal punishment/not corporal punishment) is that every child is different. What works for one, may not work for another. Corporal punishment didn't work on me when I was a kid, but putting me in a corner where I couldn't watch tv did. I don't remember how my mom got me to STAY in the corner, but there ya go. Corporal punishment (and even the threat of it "mom look") DID work on my sister however - in fact, my mother found it was the ONLY thing that got her attention and solidified the message to her. Talking to her, "time out", etc did not work on her. We simply DID NOT do, what this child is doing, in public. 1st of all - my mother would use the front part of the basket the way it was designed - she would put US in the seat. She was a single mother but she had our respect and we KNEW she was the authority - period. I do not believe that spanking (not beating people, there IS a difference) is inherently bad. And... unless the person is BEATING their child in public (or private - but we have police for that), I think interference only harms the child more. They are smart little buggers. I know I was - I learned early on that spanking only lasted a short while - I was back to playing forthwith. Whereas, the dreaded "in the corner" lasted FOREVER! lol So, they are smart. If you interfere with a parent's disciplining you undermine their authority with the child, and they will loose respect in the child's eyes - causing the child to act out more. Mind your own business.
I will amend this a little. Sometimes when I'm out-and-about I want to discipline other people's children. They let them run around in public places willy-nilly. I disagree with this completely. Alas, I can't since they aren't MY children.

Last edited:

RIMP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
There were rules when my my kids were young children, we reviewed them out side the store's door.
1. No begging, ask once and that's it. Ask twice the answer is NO!
2. Keep your hands to yourself or behind your back! You touch it, I "Touch" you! (those were the days of , you break it, you bought it from store owners.)
3. No sitting down when Mom drags you. (daughter would refuse to walk so I just kept going. She would try to sit down to make it harder for me to walk..nope, she just ended up with rug burn. The warning was to prevent rug burn.)

I would have keep going with the cart..rug burn hurts!
Good for you Pat. Parents do children no favors when they are too easy. Do you think that kids boss will give him a raise if he pitches a hissy fit? Does he think cops will let him go if he pouts? Will his wife just give in if he holds his breath? (she will probably hold his nose and mouth..for him!)

Little kids are like lions, tame them with a firm voice, an gentle hand and rules or you will get eaten alive!
:shock:

So true, so true:) He has grown up to be a compassionate and respectful young man:) Now adays too many times the kids rule the roost:( In the long run it does them no favor:rolleyes: When he was little he learned appropriate behavior and it stuck with him:)

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
Ryle..I found this for you for the next time something doesn't link..enjoy!
img.gif

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Well, my kids would get ignored and if they pushed it, a swat on the .... or even upside the head (discretely, of course, lol.) Never hard enough to hurt - just enough to get their attention!

My take on those pics (from Peopleofwalmart.com) is that she's a little late on trying this tactic. He's a little too old to be throwing that kind of tantrum - so obviously it worked for him in the past! By the time my kids were 2 they knew that tactic wasn't going to get them anywhere!

Ryle

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2008
Durant, Ok
Sounds like my brother, 3years old... he screams and throws fits whenever his mom or our dad are around. When he's left alone with me or my younger sister (17) he's perfectly behaved (unless he's sick). But the two of us were never shy about giving him a swat or isolating him if he got out of hand. Unfortunately, we're the only ones that discipline him. Now he's so spoiled that one day he wasn't getting the attention he wanted, took a broom to dad's 65Inch TV! (it's got a 4ft long crack in it now) and he didn't even get in trouble for that. I think that level of non-parenting is likely the cause of all the crazy crap kids are doing now days... all the school shootings,stabbings, or things like "Porsche Girl" (google that one if you don't know what I'm talking about.)

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
All I had to do was open my wallet and show them. Anything they say they reeeaallllly wanted was put on a list, and of course the next trip to the store there was something new and they'd forget about the first thing. It broke my heart when they cried silently!!
But they were silent!
My oldest daughter told me this summer she has turned into me! She has three kids, that was the best compliment ever...
My youngest is still throwing tantrums, loves to hang up on me. That's going to work...she's 38 now, go figure. But in all sympathy to her, she's her father's child, a Hybrid. What makes me mad is that she'll call back, like nothing ever happened. Hi Mom! Where's my apology??
But I'm all for ignoring, warming butts, and the "I'm gonna kill you" looks. When us kids were little my Mom used that middle knuckle on top of your head technique. It did work well. All my Dad had to do was look at us, and we froze all forward movement. Never lifted a hand to any of us, he was the sweetest man. Which was why we never could talk back to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread