Hey mateys! I need some MTL guide. (OBS Cube MTL kit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
I just got this OBS kit (again) with the MTL tank instead of the sub ohmer. The tank looks good! The look, top airflow, berserker like deck, I really like it! The mod, I have no qualms, this is my second one. For the price of a SMOK priv V8, this is a very good deal IMO. :thumb:

I didn't touch the included coils and cotton in the package, that's what I always do. I either used pre built claptons or grab my wires and make a simple round wire coil when I get a new RTA. Kanthal A1, 24awg, 3.0mm, 10 wraps at 0.8 ohms, that's the build I dropped into it. I vape her at 16 to 20 watts, but I think I am still disappointed atm. Taste is rather poor and the vapor is half of what I expect. :yawn:

So may I ask, what coils do I need? What wattage? And the juice... I think I need stronger juice. I have enough nic freebase, PG, VG and flavorings to make an MTL only juice, but I don't know where to start... Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
Screenshot_20190202-144355_Gallery.jpg

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
LOL... That was quick... I'm alright though! I came back to type actually... Made 7 wraps that read 0.66 and I vape her at 15 watts... LOL that made sense right? It's funny... Your mistake, I actually had better vape... Anyways, I DL at 3mg... Okay... I think I'll mix something with 6 mg? But the taste, should I do 50/50 PG/VG? I am at 70VG / 30PG normally.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
I just got this OBS kit (again) with the MTL tank instead of the sub ohmer. The tank looks good! The look, top airflow, berserker like deck, I really like it! The mod, I have no qualms, this is my second one. For the price of a SMOK priv V8, this is a very good deal IMO. :thumb:

I didn't touch the included coils and cotton in the package, that's what I always do. I either used pre built claptons or grab my wires and make a simple round wire coil when I get a new RTA. Kanthal A1, 24awg, 3.0mm, 10 wraps at 0.8 ohms, that's the build I dropped into it. I vape her at 16 to 20 watts, but I think I am still disappointed atm. Taste is rather poor and the vapor is half of what I expect. :yawn:

So may I ask, what coils do I need? What wattage? And the juice... I think I need stronger juice. I have enough nic freebase, PG, VG and flavorings to make an MTL only juice, but I don't know where to start... Any suggestions?

I've been making 1ohm coils with round kanthal for yonks now. Although, i don't need to !. A coil lasts for what seems like forever. So "building" is something I rarely do !.

I went through a learning curve to see what works best for the kind of vape i was looking for.

For strictly mouth to lung vaping using low power, at 11.5 watts, i'll only ever use 29g kanthal, 5 wraps, with a 2mm inner diameter. Absolutely no need to use anything else. 29g, through trial and error, is the correct thickness i need. I've tried various types and thicknesses. 29g is rigid and perfect for re-wicking whilst not becoming deformed. So much so that a coil lasts a very long time.

Anything thicker needs more power so batteries don't last, the vape's to warm !.

Less power with thicker wire means a coil takes too long to heat up (ramp up time).

Anything thinner and the coil will deform when i try to re-wick, so i end up having to build a new coil !.

Vaping doesn't work for me with anything other than 29g kanthal.

With several identical tanks in rotation, all with the same build there's no mess, no fuss !. A wick get switched out every day or two and will only take a few minutes.

My vaping style includes one 2 second primer draw immediately followed by a "second" 2 second draw which provides a throat hit. I've been vaping this same way for about 7 years.

I am currently using a Smoant "Charon" TS 218 box mod. I rotate several Svoemesto "Kayfun V4" RTA's.

All this is combined with 24mg D.I.Y e-liquids made 80ml at a time x ten different flavours. The costs are as minimal as they can be.

I simply cannot be bothered with high powered, dual or multi-coil direct lung vaping !. Too much effort goes into the inhale.

My style of mouth to lung vaping is effortless, and practically maintenance free !.

Vaping doesn't get any easier than this, and is no more complicated than using a pod system.

Alright !, but the difference is negligible, and a lot less expensive !.

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
I've been making 1ohm coils with round kanthal for yonks now. Although, i don't need to !. A coil lasts for what seems like forever. So "building" is something I rarely do !.

I went through a learning curve to see what works best for the kind of vape i was looking for.

For strictly mouth to lung vaping using low power, at 11.5 watts, i'll only ever use 29g kanthal, 5 wraps, with a 2mm inner diameter. Absolutely no need to use anything else. 29g, through trial and error, is the correct thickness i need. I've tried various types and thicknesses. 29g is rigid and perfect for re-wicking whilst not becoming deformed. So much so that a coil lasts a very long time.

Anything thicker needs more power so batteries don't last, the vape's to warm !.

Less power with thicker wire means a coil takes too long to heat up (ramp up time).

Anything thinner and the coil will deform when i try to re-wick, so i end up having to build a new coil !.

Vaping doesn't work for me with anything other than 29g kanthal.

With several identical tanks in rotation, all with the same build there's no mess, no fuss !. A wick get switched out every day or two and will only take a few minutes.

My vaping style includes one 2 second primer draw immediately followed by a "second" 2 second draw which provides a throat hit. I've been vaping this same way for about 7 years.

I am currently using a Smoant "Charon" TS 218 box mod. I rotate several Svoemesto "Kayfun V4" RTA's.

All this is combined with 24mg D.I.Y e-liquids made 80ml at a time x ten different flavours. The costs are as minimal as they can be.

I simply cannot be bothered with high powered, dual or multi-coil direct lung vaping !. Too much effort goes into the inhale.

My style of mouth to lung vaping is effortless, and practically maintenance free !.

Vaping doesn't get any easier than this, and is no more complicated than using a pod system.

Alright !, but the difference is negligible, and a lot less expensive !.

I only have 24g SS, 24G Kanthal, and 28g Nichrome. Gave that Ni80 a try and got a .9 ohm at 10 wraps. Vapor is good, taste still meh... Thanks anyways man.. Just what I expect at this point... Gotta mix some new juice for this I think.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I vape rtas at 23 watts , but use a coil more suited to mtl imo compared to 24g with so many wraps. Perhaps your mtl pulls are much much slower then mine, because at 20 watts with such a thick wire at 10 wraps, my 2 to 3 second pulls would never get that coil to temp. Now if you primer puff or hit that coil for 5 or 6 seconds, then perhaps that coil would reach proper temp. My .7 ohm builds are with 26g and at 2.5 ID, is only 6 wraps, so I feel that coil is at optimum temp for my lenght of draw. 9 times out of 10, flavor issues are usually caused by wicking, so perhaps its something to do with that?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Kanthal A1, 24awg, 3.0mm, 10 wraps at 0.8 ohms, that's the build I dropped into it. I vape her at 16 to 20 watts, but I think I am still disappointed atm. Taste is rather poor and the vapor is half of what I expect. :yawn:

If it's a true MTL tank, I'd go with 29 or 28 g Kanthal, 2.5 mm coil diameter, ~1Ω build. And lower the wattage to 8-12 watts to start.

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
If it's a true MTL tank, I'd go with 29 or 28 g Kanthal, 2.5 mm coil diameter, ~1Ω build. And lower the wattage to 8-12 watts to start.

No DL vaping for this tank AFAIK. Even the biggest hole is too tight for MTL IMO. Anyways, I'm using it with the 28G Nichrome, 1.1 ohm, and it vapes alright. I vape it at 9 to 11 watts, everything is just how I expected.

One thing I can't understand when people say about MTL and the flavor. I can't compare it to normal cloud chuckers I have like the KYLIN or the GEAR. I even smoked a stick yesterday just to remind me how I really smoked. That reminded me alright. I can say that I already did all I can for the hardware side of MTL. I searched and researched online, and now I think I need to mix some serious juice to match the taste and hit of a regular analog. My DL juice ain't gonna match the experience when I use it in MTL. And that is another rabbit hole that I am just starting to dig in as I type now.

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
I'd go with your 28 gauge over the 24. @ricks has this RTA and will be a lot more help than I am ;)

Yep, I made that discovery the very day I got this tank. I also find it weird that I got spit back from using that 24G kanthal. LOL, I guess I didn't expected that. It's not those burning spit back from a cloud chaser build, but funny tickling on my tongue, like those pop rocks candies. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread