• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Heya Canadians, who's missing their nicotine????

Status
Not open for further replies.

timbit

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Canada
All right, undoubtedly most of you know by now that I am A) starting my vaping journey & B) sort of freaking out that it doesn't appear that any stores have nicotine e-juice.

I've become rapidly increasing from upset to frustrated to angry to sad to ...... off & finally coming to rest on obstinately determined to get what I want. If that means I do some civil disobedience & creative thinking, so be it. All I can say is they ...... off the wrong political activist!

Health Canada wants to declare nicotine a drug &/or medical device, fine... They want to refuse to approve nicotine for this indication or delivery system, fine!!! However that does not mean I have to change my behavior ortherapeutic options. One thing they can't do say I need a prescription because no nicotine replacement therapy or delivery system requires a prescription in Ontario (i'm pretty sure its the same every where in Canada). The only thing Health Canada can do is manufacturers & retailers they can't advertise or sell it to society for those purposes...

So here's the loophole, a pharmacist (possibly other retailers) can sell the raw ingredients with a disclaimer stating they aren't for "x" purpose (the exemption to making that disclaimer is an individual that decides to make a personal decision about using it as a nicotine replacement device & purchases it from a pharmacist/pharmacy).

Basically a pharmacist has a right to provide smoking cessation therapy & prescribe appropriate nicotine replacement therapies. Its actually one of their duties that OHIP pays them for. They aren't allowed to recommend it but they are under no obligation to deny you the treatment if you want it (especially if you say its the only thing that works &/or is safe for you).

At the end of the day, e-cigs/ vapers/ APVs are all nicotine replacement devices & we have a right to the right nicotine replacement for each of us. If we want to vap that's out right.

Here's the thing all the basic ingredients are available to purchase through a pharmacist, especially compounding pharmacists. The plus is you are guaranteed a certain quality & safety factor. You can easily get USP grade vegetable glycerin, USP Grade Propylene Glycol & USP nicotine from any compounding pharmacist for sure. The other 2 nice things is they can compound up juice for you in any flavor/volume/concentration & get you wide selection of diy"volumes/concentrations of the raw ingredients.

I've got a call into my compounder & I'm placing an order for the raw ingredients, so I'll let you know how much, size, concentrations, prices, etc. I'll also check into costs for them to prepare juice. Think of it this way, professional custom diy juice at your finger tips without the hassle or danger of doing it yourself. Plus if you don't like it the first few times they'll reformulate the flavor for free until you like it or there is no saving that batch.

It shouldn't be too expensive & once you do it in larger quantities it'll become much cheaper. You could also get just a basic juice & add your own flavoring.

As for other retailers, I'm not certain of the rules for if they could sell under that provision. I know other retailers sell other nicotine replacement devices but those are approved for that indication. Still as long as they sold it with a disclaimer saying not for internal/external consumption, then they aren't breaking the law. Afterall other general nicotine products are sold in a wide variety of stores for non medical use. As long as they still use USP grade ingredients nothing changes for the consumer.

I hope this helps someone...

Adam

P.S. I am not going to mention the specific name of my pharmacy but if people who have been around a while decide they want it, just PM me.

Coffin22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
While I like the idea, and definitely let us know how this turns out... I'm curious why you think they don't have nic juice? Have you tried getting the list via pm?
Either way definitely interested in how this turns out, as it'd make me feel a lot better should health canada take a heavier handed approach soon.
Best of luck!

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Many of the US vendors are also aware of the issues of getting their products across the border. They have been known to work with their Canadian customers to ensure they, too, can enjoy their products.

Tons of vendors in Canada as well that sell what you need. Many sites you have to register in order to see their full line of products.

timbit

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Canada
I won't disagree because I am by no means an expert but every Canadian store I've checked out & registered for said, no nicotine.

I thought I might be missing something so I registered but saw no difference. I certainly haven't seen every company but based on the ones I have checked & the posts on ECF about Health Canada's current legal efforts to ban e-cigs/ e-juices with nicotine in them.

i'm still going through the list by the way, I just followed instructions regarding which ones to visit first. Based on your statement I'll hold out hope that my experience changes.

As for using pharmacies as a source, no reason why it shouldn't work. The only issue I can see might be if pharmacist had some kind of moral conflict with providing nicotine replacement therapy. Worse case, you would just have to find a new pharmacy/pharmacist.

Thanks
Adam

LesVegas

ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2012
BC, Canada
I won't disagree because I am by no means an expert but every Canadian store I've checked out & registered for said, no nicotine.

I thought I might be missing something so I registered but saw no difference. I certainly haven't seen every company but based on the ones I have checked & the posts on ECF about Health Canada's current legal efforts to ban e-cigs/ e-juices with nicotine in them.

i'm still going through the list by the way, I just followed instructions regarding which ones to visit first. Based on your statement I'll hold out hope that my experience changes.

As for using pharmacies as a source, no reason why it shouldn't work. The only issue I can see might be if pharmacist had some kind of moral conflict with providing nicotine replacement therapy. Worse case, you would just have to find a new pharmacy/pharmacist.

Thanks
Adam

Adam,

You are doing something wrong. Instead of focusing on obtaining nic in the way you are describing, just pick a vendor and place an order.
Save yourself the hassle. If you listen to the responses in this thread you will realize that we all get nic juice very easily, its not an issue.
However, if you are wanting to pursue some moral soapbox issue, then fill your boots.

Coffin22

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
Health Canada hasn't started any efforts to ban ecigs/nicotine. Misinformation was distributed from them and has never been clarified nor addressed. Theyre against it because they aren't educated regarding it. They're not some evil corporation, just a misinformed regulatory body, If they wanted it banned it would be. To us it seems impossible they don't know but when you realize what they deal with daily, ecigs are probably very low on their radar, so perhaps its up to us as consumers and vendors to educate them on our product. That being said.... They're are lots of nic selling vendors in Canada

Ill_Rev_J

Verified Member
Jul 19, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
For sure, though I like the compounding idea should our worst fears be realized. But I guess this thread proves the point that vendors who are hiding their nic do themselves a disservice, making it difficult for a noob to find.

As for HC being a benign, simply misinformed agency, I think that's a little naive. There's insider information regarding pressure being put on them by the company behind the Nicorette products to hamper the growth of ecigs with nicotine. That's why BT can sell non-nic cigalikes without too much fuss - anyone who's tried them knows they are likely to be as ineffective as NRT in replacing cigarette smoking. HC is a acting on misinformation, true, but willingly so and inexcusably so. Surely they must have "expert" staff whose job it would or should be to assess all the evidence out there which suggests vaping is orders of magnitude safer than smoking. So either they are incompetent or willfully ignorant on the matter.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Kagey K

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2013
Canada
The problem with the entire idea of this thread is that right at the top of the Canada board there is a sticky to PM for Nic juice vendors. It tells you where they are located and if you have to register on thier site to see the Nic juice. It is a few very simple steps to open up the world of Canadian nic vendors right to you.

HC isn't killing these vendors yet, and if they were there would definitely be one of them smart enough to come here and get "the list" in fact, I'd be willing to bet they have it already, but their hands are tied at this time and we are free to order and they are free to sell, the way Capitalism meant it to be. Thanks to the ways the law reads right now.

timbit

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Canada
Yup I actually put an order in already...

My problem was that I went to the site but saw no nicotine juices & was so confused...

So I came back here & searched for a bit, I found a post saying you had to register...

So I went back & registered but I still couldn't see anything... Now I was confused, frustrated & scared I wouldn't find any in time...

So I started thinking outside the box, found an unorthodox method of getting nicotine, PG & VG...

So I came back & posted that, plus my experience... But people said it was there, just register...

I went back checked all the dots, I was fully registered but still no nicotine containing e-juices... Now I was confused, frustrated, sad, scared & just wanted to cry... I felt so close but so far away...

Finally I said screw it & went to one of their sites in person... I got some stuff to at least get me started... The employees there said the same thing about registering... but I was registered & it wasn't there...

On Monday I was looking at a couple things & out of no where suddenly now it showed all the different juices...

I can't explain it but at least now I can see them...

But I swear I wasn't crazy... I had read lots of posts about stores no longer selling because of the legal situation, lots of posts about people freaking out about the possibility of not getting juice & I visited a bunch of stores that said no nicotine (including I might add, canvape.com)... So I just followed that line of thought. I understand the sticky list but I was using it & the ones I was told to go to, said no nicotine. Can't you see that might of been a tad confusing?

Happily however I now have nicotine containing e-juices, sources for raw nicotine concentrate, more juices & kit on it's way & a place to buy more nicotine juices.

So I'm happy again, or at least as happy as I can be locked in an isolation hospital room, being treated for MSRA pneumonia & skin infections while waiting for the bone scans to see if it's infected my bones... :(

But at least I'm A) not going cold turkey, B) I have a bunch of ego-c batteries, some attys, clearos & juice & C) I figured out how to get my cell phone wireless internet working in my hospital room:):vapor:

& yes I'm vaping in hospital : vapor:

Btw it might appear that Health Canada is just loud mouth bully with no real power but that isn't so. For example doctors can't generally recommend it to their patients dying of COPD; pharmacists can't suggest an e-cig to their clients who have failed other smoking cessation therapy; customs follows their instructions on what to allow into the country; the legislators follows their instructions on what to make controlled substances & what to allow; the public largely trusts Health Canada to keep them safe (rightly or wrongly) & follows their instructions even if it's to their detriment...

Health Canada has a great deal of power (in Canada), so when they misuse that power, it has very real & serious consequences for everyone. Saying they have no real power ignores the problem & gives them room to misbehave.

Finally just because something isn't harmful/dangerous & has significant benefits, doesn't prevent Health Canada from banning it & making the lives of those who need it unpleasant at the least & potentially catastrophic in the worse case. They been doing things like that for as long as they've been around...

Adam

P.S. My knickers are no longer in knots, which is far more enjoyable;)

Ill_Rev_J

Verified Member
Jul 19, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Glad to hear you're sorted for the time being, and hope your pneumonia clears up quickly. I agree HC has lots of power, but it's actually more like influence than direct political & legal power. They are subject to the rule of law just like any government agency, meaning they have to respect the Charter of Rights and Freedoms as well. Problem is, because they don't have direct power they paradoxically have more power, since generally the elected politicians carry the can for legislative mistakes. So by no means ignore HC; on the contrary, we need to be vigilant and we'll informed so that the wool don't get pulled over our eyes...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

randomname79

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2013
bolton ontario
If more Canadian vendors would stop with the smokescreens and actually advertise their nicotine e-liquids, they would very likely get more business, and Timbit wouldn't have had to go through all the pain and aggravation to begin with.

And the vendors take a big chance doing that. It's always the same arguement. One says its legal one says its not. what you should be asking yourself is are you prepared to pay the legal fees needed for a one tier vendor to prove its not illegal. I'll bet the answers no.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread