Hi all, from a new member

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chajo

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2018
Winter Park, FL
I have wanted to find a way for years to quit smoking; but, being a nearly 40 year smoker [so, yes, I am old(er)], this is not such an easy task. In the past, just to start off I tried disposable e-cigs (Blu, then Vue - both ugh); and, then moved on to Kanger EVOD - also, not impressed. So, for a while, I gave up. I also met a woman (also 40 year smoker), who weaned herself off of nicotine by using an Ego C-Twist. She still uses it with non-nic juice because of needing a "habit/routine" replacement for cigarettes. I thought about trying this one, but let it go for a year or so.

Now, I have a niece who tried Kanger Juppi Starter Kit and seems to like it. I have been researching this product now, and will start a thread asking for advice on this item to see what people think.

This whole process, so far, has sucked. Anyway, nice to meet you all.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Howdy and welcome :). The conventional wisdom for new vapers is a joytech pico mini 25 kit. 2 or 3 18650 genuine batteries from a reputable vendor and a decent charger (see Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum for details)
Total should be a bit under a Benjamin for the lot. If that’s too much cash there are cheaper ways to go though

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
I looked up the Kanger Juppi Starter Kit because I've never heard of it. It looks like a nice kit.

It is a sub ohm tank which may or may not be too much for a new vaper.

I smoked for, roughly, the same time as you. My lungs were in pretty bad shape so it would've been a bit hard for me to handle a sub ohm setup then.

You might want to look at something like an Aspire Zelos kit with a Nautilus tank. It has a built in battery so it should be considered to be a disposable mod. It should last a year or more though.

Chajo

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2018
Winter Park, FL
Thanks to all. I also placed a similar post under General Vaping Discussion, with a little bit more info, just in case others might read it that don't read this New Members area.

Re: gandymarsh's comments - In all the stuff that I read, the only comment about sub ohm mods was related to the idea that they were more for hobbyists and non-smokers, but didn't explain why. I just assumed that meant it really wasn't for someone who was looking to quit smoking, because perhaps it wouldn't be 'satisfying' enough. I guess that's not the reason?? I did also read that 6ml nicotine is about as high as one should go with a sub ohm.

I just wish I could quit and not replace cigs with a vape - just don't think it's possible...

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hi Chajo,

I was a vaper who dual used on and off for a long time, before finally returning to vaping after returning to "just" smoking for a while. I'm sorry to hear the process is sucking so far, LOL. It can happen. When I arrived at ECF, I was using sub0hm equipment with 12 mg of nic in it, and not having a fabulous time. Of course, my last 18 months smoking were not oh so fabulous, either. I had pneumonia for pretty much 18 months straight and the dreaded COPD diagnosis was approaching. So, I discovered I needed a FAR less powerful setup (and wound up finding out that I was PG sensitive, to boot). It took me a while to find my "vaping nirvana" but ECF was really helpful for that along the way, so I think asking questions and getting feedback is a good idea. If the vape you are currently considering winds up "too sub0hm" there are tons of great MTL options that are still much more powerful and reliable than early vapes. There's been a considerable progression so you don't need to "lock" yourself in to sub0hm vaping.

You also don't HAVE to vape, to quit. You could try Swedish snus, American Snus, or nic salt pouches. Those are all also viable harm reduction methods.

You could also look into WTA eliquids (whole tobacco alkaloids, containing some of the anti-anxiety and ant-depressant effects of tobacco). They helped me a whole lot as I was detoxing. Two makers are Aroma and Umbavapes, Aroma is more pricy but really the "gold standard" of WTA eliquids. They don't help everyone but they did help me, they are far safer than combustion, and I still keep a tank around for "stressful moments" but they are also easier to transition from than regular cigarettes.. They helped me a lot early on.

I hope you find success and that something begins to work for you.

Anna

Chajo

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2018
Winter Park, FL
Stols001 - thanks. Have looked into very little info, so far, about other alternatives to vaping when trying to quit smoking. I just know I've smoked long enough that something is going to have to replace cigarettes if I want to eliminate them altogether. My brother quit decades ago by chewing on straws; still chews on them today - I gag if I try. Others I've known chew gum - after about 20 chews, my jaws say "stop". So, I thought maybe vaping would be a better option for me.

I'd also rather use eliquids with higher VG over PG because I've read VG isn't as 'dangerous'.

I see you also responded on the General Vaping Discussion forum - I am going to jump over there.

Chajo

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2018
Winter Park, FL
NEW QUESTIONS: If I go with the Aspire Zelos with Nautilus tank 2 - which comes with both a 1.8 & 0.7 Ohm coil:
1.) how do I pick the nicotine e-liq level to test both? Is it 6 ml for either?
2.) if what I've researched is true, 1.8 ohm coil should be set around 10-14 watts, 0.7 ohm with 18-23 watt. Then, what is the max 50 watt for - lower ohms than 0.7? I must be missing something here.
3.) is variable wattage and voltage control the same? Can't find this info anywhere. I thought voltage control would relate to the battery, but it is built-in so I can't see why there would be a voltage control option.
4.) I take it that I can figure out temp control at some time down the road, after using it. From what I've read, this is optional?

Sorry for so many questions. I've read/watched a lot now on a bunch of different ecigs and so far this model looks to be the best bet for me in my step up in vaping, but obviously I am still missing some integral info.

Thx.

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
You might want to visit a vape shop if there are any in your area. They can let you try different mods and tanks so you can get an idea about what you like best.

If that isn't an option, you could decide on a kit and try it. You can buy tanks separately. Say you buy the Kanger kit and sub ohm is too powerful. You could then buy a tank that uses higher resistance coils. Or, buy two different kits. It's always good to have more than one setup so you have a backup.

I know it sounds expensive but think about how much smoking costs and its adverse effects on your health.

Buying juice is probably the most difficult. You may like a flavor that I would hate and vice versa.

Unfortunately, it's kinda trial and error. I spent over $1000 the first year. I'm now starting my fourth year and I spend very little. Most of that was trying different juices to find ones I liked.

Reactions: Chajo

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
1.) how do I pick the nicotine e-liq level to test both? Is it 6 ml for either?
Definitely worth a look at:
Welcome and glad you joined.
You could use 6ml for both sub and non sub coils. Your craving for nic will tell you if you need more or less nic. Here again I started out with too much nic for the frequency of puffs. It's balancing vape time and perceived nic body/system requirements. Could start with 6mg. and work up or down. MTL and DL play a role.
re:
Above-Ohm Vaping vs Sub-Ohm Vaping
Vaping and Inhaling: Everything You Need To Know
if what I've researched is true, 1.8 ohm coil should be set around 10-14 watts, 0.7 ohm with 18-23 watt. Then, what is the max 50 watt for - lower ohms than 0.7? I must be missing something here.
I set watts based on a balance between clouds and taste. Start at low watts and work up watts to where you barely see cloud. Proceed from there.
is variable wattage and voltage control the same? Can't find this info anywhere. I thought voltage control would relate to the battery, but it is built-in so I can't see why there would be a voltage control option.
Could read: http://www.thevaperstable.com/videos/variable-voltage-versus-variable-wattage
I take it that I can figure out temp control at some time down the road, after using it. From what I've read, this is optional?
Yes. Could read:
Temperature Control: What It Can Mean for You
https://spinfuel.com/all-about-temperature-control/
Temperature Control
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/temp-controlled-vaping-rocks.758695/

Reactions: Chajo

Chajo

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2018
Winter Park, FL
All GOOD videos!!! Especially the one on VV vs VW. To summarize it so my simple mind can handle it: I think my best bet is to start off with using the low range of the recommended wattage for the ohms of the coil and go from there - leaving the voltage alone, as well as temp control.

MTL vaping is likely what I will do - given that I'm trying to replace cigarettes. So, now onto researching more about nic level. At this time, I only want to replicate standard menthol tobacco flavor - what I've been smoking (Salem Slim 100s) for decades. I used 12 ml when I tried the Kanger EVOD years ago (pen type device with 2.5 ohm coil, 650mah battery); the amount of cloud was less than I wanted and therefore didn't feel satisfying. So, I always wondered if it was too low in nic level - I certainly had no clue at that time about the coil ohms or battery power affecting the volume of cloud.

Since then, I have gotten the impression that the nic level may not need to be that high, in general, on most mods. Not sure; still have to work on this aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread