Hi all, how to properly vape for a lung hit? Very confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvco

Nov 18, 2014
Corona, CA
Im now on my 2nd attempt to quit via vaping but HOW to vape correctly is going wrong. My setup is SMOK AL85 and baby beast tank included in the starter kit, 0.4 and 0.6 coils, 45 watt power setting, and also an older iTaste V-V pencil mod with 2ml rebuildable clearomizer.

1) You can smoke a mod like a cigarette. This gives instant coughing and I am avoiding this. Coughing is why I quit vaping last time.
2) You can close your mouth over the drip tip and breathe straight into the lungs but this is where something is going wrong. It seems all I did was fill the back of the throat because after doing this and releasing the drip tip from my mouth, i can still inhale into the lungs if I want to. Why was I able to do that and where did the vapor go when I was first inhaling? It went somewhere between the mouth and the lungs but not the lungs.
3) I did this for a test, you fire the mod and, with your lips near the drip tip, breath in. NOW you went to the lungs and it burns like hell, not to mention holy crap coughing. This method would be like having a mod with a pump which pumps the vapor out of the drip tip like a home humidifier and you breathe that.

Ive watched every YT there is, and noticed that a fellow would appear to inhale at the drip tip for a long time, then out the vapor goes, or, if you observe, someone will appear to inhale with mouth closed over the drip tip, then remove the drip tip from the mouth and then quickly inhale again, and then breathe out. Did both get a lung hit?

Can someone advise the correct way? Or, whats going on here that Im not getting it?

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
There is no right or wrong way to vape or inhale.
You have to experiment with the variables to find what works best for you.

Have you tried lowering the power?
You might like it better at 18w, 30w or 41.25w or anywhere in between.
What is the Pg/Vg ratio & nic mg/ml of your e liquid?
SubΩ resistances & high watt usually dictates 3 - 6 mg/ml nic.
Pg is harsher but carries the flavor, Vg is smoother & produces more cloudz.
Have you tried an above Ω MTL delivery device with a more restrictive airflow to see if it is more what you're looking for?
Something like a nautilus mini or naut 2 with 1.8Ω bvc heads.
The wide open airflow subΩ superbeastmegababy tanks just may not be for you, they take quite a bit of airflow to keep things cool & to prevent harsh, funky, dry, hot or burnt tastes.

Are you thoroughly priming a new/unused head before the first use?
or just filling tank & zapping it with 45w.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Personally i don't think starting with a sub ohm kit is the best way to go with it,the mod (battery) you use dosen't seem to matter alot but the pg/vg ratio and tank does matter much more imho. I went with an aspire nautilus , mostly because it's 5 ml so i can vape all day without needing to refill the thing. With adjutable airflow settings i can do both mtl and dtl (although dtl at 15mg does choke me a bit sometimes :p) I highly suggest you get comfy at vaping before going sub ohm though. I did the same as Op ie : stopped vaping went back to analog until i recently tried what i just mentionned, i went through alot of juice at first since i was craving a smoke like crazy but since then cravings are much less and i crave more vaping than anything now (because man i can't get enough of the taste ahah) you're better to overestimate nicotine levels in your juice imho depending on how much you used to smoke , but overall don't do dtl until you feel ready or really want those big a** clouds.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I was coughing a lot too, on a large tank, meant for high wattage, low nicotine. I seriously thought my symptoms were *not getting enough nicotine* but actually the coughing and problems were from the fact that I was doing MTL on 60 watts at 12 mg nicotine, PG only. I could barely vape the thing.
Keep whatever battery setup you have, lower your watts significantly, and use a higher nicotine strength with a different tank. I have a DTL tank that I use rarely when I need a lot of nicotine quickly, but I am far happier with a 1.8 coil in a nautilus tank, and doing MTL. I use that smaller, lower wattage tank most of the time, and use between 16--20 nicotine juice (VG only, but I'm allergic to PG). It works out just fantastic at 14 watts for me. Also, when I first started vaping, I wanted to vape continuously, it seemed like, so working on your technique and ALSO your preferred delivery method is pretty smart, as I was able to get through chain-vaping at first while I was dealing with cravings (steadily decreasing... I still have my moments). If you can't vape your vape equipment, something's wrong.

Also, I wish more vape shops would not just hand out the newest, greatest most expensive thing, but would do some real teaching about *options* and maybe suggest purchasing a huge tank (if desired) and a smaller, less expensive tank that doesn't NEED to be huge as you won't be vaping as much as the higher level of nic will satisfy you.... Unless you ordered your stuff online, or WANTED the latest, greatest thing, not EVERYONE prefers huge tanks with ridiculous coils like what's on offer, often. I think that causes more failures in vaping (nowadays) than much else.... It's great to make a buck by selling a customer 120 mls of juice, and the latest, greatest thing ever, but it's not NECESSARY initially and can often cause people to not succeed with vaping. That said, maybe you can increase airflow on the tank you have and use lower nicotine (not sure what strength you are using but I can only do 6 mg in a sub-ohm tank, and that, DTL works fine, but if I go up, the nicotine flooding my system is going to make me cough.)

The only other thing it could possibly be is a sensitivity to PG, I coughed like crazy no matter what until I went to 100% VG, but that's really rare.

Anna

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
You want do #2 but you are doing it wrong. You need to inhale directly to your lungs. Here is a video explaining how that will hopefully help. I haven't watched it but it has a lot of views and way more thumbs up than down so I expect he does a decent job explaining it:

This explains it perfectly, and exactly how I was going to explain it here....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
vape density, nic content, button time pressed, and duration of throat contact will determine the cough factor...

lite puffs into the mouth and then inhaled at a low nic value will allow for a reduced cough reflex...
long heavy draws ( like trying to breathe thru a tube) with hi nic content at higher watts will choke me up ( even tho I use 36 nic juice normally)

the heavier the vape density, the more nic it will carry and that increases the nic contact in the throat
pressing the button just before inhaling preheats the juice and when you do start to inhale the coil is at a fairly decient temp doing its job. As you inhale continously ( DTL) the coil continues to become even hotter and so does the vape ( this is one of the reasons why DTL vapers go for reduced nic content..)

its all a matter of preference and getting used to the onslaught of a new type of "irritant" the throat and lungs are dealing with...

the throat is our primary defense to inhaling noxious chemicals, once the chemical interacts with the sensitive area just below the larynx and behind the vocal cords, it will either let you continue to inhale or it will cause the cough reflex...

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I was coughing a lot too, on a large tank, meant for high wattage, low nicotine. I seriously thought my symptoms were *not getting enough nicotine* but actually the coughing and problems were from the fact that I was doing MTL on 60 watts at 12 mg nicotine, PG only. I could barely vape the thing.
Keep whatever battery setup you have, lower your watts significantly, and use a higher nicotine strength with a different tank. I have a DTL tank that I use rarely when I need a lot of nicotine quickly, but I am far happier with a 1.8 coil in a nautilus tank, and doing MTL. I use that smaller, lower wattage tank most of the time, and use between 16--20 nicotine juice (VG only, but I'm allergic to PG). It works out just fantastic at 14 watts for me. Also, when I first started vaping, I wanted to vape continuously, it seemed like, so working on your technique and ALSO your preferred delivery method is pretty smart, as I was able to get through chain-vaping at first while I was dealing with cravings (steadily decreasing... I still have my moments). If you can't vape your vape equipment, something's wrong.

Also, I wish more vape shops would not just hand out the newest, greatest most expensive thing, but would do some real teaching about *options* and maybe suggest purchasing a huge tank (if desired) and a smaller, less expensive tank that doesn't NEED to be huge as you won't be vaping as much as the higher level of nic will satisfy you.... Unless you ordered your stuff online, or WANTED the latest, greatest thing, not EVERYONE prefers huge tanks with ridiculous coils like what's on offer, often. I think that causes more failures in vaping (nowadays) than much else.... It's great to make a buck by selling a customer 120 mls of juice, and the latest, greatest thing ever, but it's not NECESSARY initially and can often cause people to not succeed with vaping. That said, maybe you can increase airflow on the tank you have and use lower nicotine (not sure what strength you are using but I can only do 6 mg in a sub-ohm tank, and that, DTL works fine, but if I go up, the nicotine flooding my system is going to make me cough.)

The only other thing it could possibly be is a sensitivity to PG, I coughed like crazy no matter what until I went to 100% VG, but that's really rare.

Anna
I use a nautilus too and i'm pretty sure vg being a more viscous liquid is not meant to be vaped in that tank because vg requires higher watts to burn the liquid efficiently.Also the reason sub ohm tank only have 6mg nicotine max is because doing dtl you intake twice as much nicotine in your body so having 6mg you intake 12 by doing dtl. I have 15 mg nic liquid in mine (50/50 mix) i do 1-2 dtl puffs on it for cravings but more than that and you could either overdose or get a nicotine buzz.

Nb: pretty sure i'm right about this but then again if you don't damage your stuff doing what you do and you're happy with it then who cares the only important thing imho is being able to quit the cigs.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Im now on my 2nd attempt to quit via vaping but HOW to vape correctly is going wrong. My setup is SMOK AL85 and baby beast tank included in the starter kit, 0.4 and 0.6 coils, 45 watt power setting, and also an older iTaste V-V pencil mod with 2ml rebuildable clearomizer.
First, the baby beast is a bad choice for a starter. Second, all this info but you forgot to mention the nicotine level that you're at or type of liquid used.

With such a tank/coil cartridge, which is meant for direct lung (dl) and the cloud chasers wannabees, nicotine levels have to be much lower than with a mouth to lung type (mtl) as much more liquid is being vaporized and the nicotine more potent at the instant temperature that these reach due to being sub-ohms.

1) You can smoke a mod like a cigarette. This gives instant coughing and I am avoiding this. Coughing is why I quit vaping last time.

If you're coughing, then it's simply to strong in nicotine, PG, too hot, or you're trying to pull too fast on the inhale.

2) You can close your mouth over the drip tip and breathe straight into the lungs but this is where something is going wrong. It seems all I did was fill the back of the throat because after doing this and releasing the drip tip from my mouth, i can still inhale into the lungs if I want to. Why was I able to do that and where did the vapor go when I was first inhaling? It went somewhere between the mouth and the lungs but not the lungs.

What you're doing here is describing mtl. Filling your mouth and throat first and then inhaling into your lungs. Why it would irritate is the items I stated above. Dl is much simpler, it's basically inhaling normally, a slow continual breath.

One way to "practice" is simply to take a large drinking straw and breathing through it in a relaxed fashion while blocking your nose.

3) I did this for a test, you fire the mod and, with your lips near the drip tip, breath in. NOW you went to the lungs and it burns like hell, not to mention holy crap coughing. This method would be like having a mod with a pump which pumps the vapor out of the drip tip like a home humidifier and you breathe that.

Same as above (why it would burn), this is sounding like you're just sucking on it way too hard, to vape dl is about a slow and relaxed inhale.

Ive watched every YT there is, and noticed that a fellow would appear to inhale at the drip tip for a long time, then out the vapor goes, or, if you observe, someone will appear to inhale with mouth closed over the drip tip, then remove the drip tip from the mouth and then quickly inhale again, and then breathe out. Did both get a lung hit?

Can someone advise the correct way? Or, whats going on here that Im not getting it?

I'll be frank: Some people don't even know how to smoke even though they've done it for many years. Same goes with vaping. I've seen some people vaping like they are trying to deflate a beachball by sucking as hard as possible.

It should be a relaxed inhaled, as warm as you enjoy it, so you need to have a proper setup (tank/coil type/temp or wattage setting).

Last edited:

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US

You would think that right? Being I did work in a couple of vape shops, yes there was pressure from the owners to get stuff moving off the shelves, kay, NP, vape sales are easy, even with a new person doesn't even know what vaping is. There you have to spend some time and start lobbing the proper questions. The biggest problem I seen was all the "Cloudz Brahz" always just hung out and doing their cloud tricks in the lobby area, new vaper sees that and is either turned away or get big eyes, oh wow thats so kewl, I want to do that, 2 days later they are back peeved the unit isn't working for them even though you told them at first interaction the Ego AIO or other lower priced lower powered device would suit them better at the start. The other problem is the Youtuber reviewers 90% of their videos are on the latest and greatest enthusiast or super-cloudz brahz gear with very little emphasis on the beginners anymore, and there lies in a problem with the manufacturers also cranking out these mad dang 14coil monster coil heads and such (example the latest TFV12 coil monster that is out there now, 14 coils, really, really, 14coils??)

Market needs to down shift and focus back more onto the mid and low watts range, JMHO nothing more.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
You would think that right? Being I did work in a couple of vape shops, yes there was pressure from the owners to get stuff moving off the shelves, kay, NP, vape sales are easy, even with a new person doesn't even know what vaping is. There you have to spend some time and start lobbing the proper questions. The biggest problem I seen was all the "Cloudz Brahz" always just hung out and doing their cloud tricks in the lobby area, new vaper sees that and is either turned away or get big eyes, oh wow thats so kewl, I want to do that, 2 days later they are back peeved the unit isn't working for them even though you told them at first interaction the Ego AIO or other lower priced lower powered device would suit them better at the start. The other problem is the Youtuber reviewers 90% of their videos are on the latest and greatest enthusiast or super-cloudz brahz gear with very little emphasis on the beginners anymore, and there lies in a problem with the manufacturers also cranking out these mad dang 14coil monster coil heads and such (example the latest TFV12 coil monster that is out there now, 14 coils, really, really, 14coils??)

Market needs to down shift and focus back more onto the mid and low watts range, JMHO nothing more.

We have to consider that in many places, the stores aren't even allowed to vape inside the store, are not even allowed to provide info to clients... it's crazy. Heck, over here, they're trying to make it "illegal" to even state that vaping is something that can help people quit smoking (and other insane stuff like that).

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
We have to consider that in many places, the stores aren't even allowed to vape inside the store, are not even allowed to provide info to clients... it's crazy. Heck, over here, they're trying to make it "illegal" to even state that vaping is something that can help people quit smoking (and other insane stuff like that).
Sums up our province's issue atm can't vape inside/try stuff out so it's a buy and trial error situation which sucks big times,ANY shops that are in quebec province CANNOT sell online and i mean it,can't advertise as a solution to quit cigs etc. (I've heard we have the worst laws in canada so far too)

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Sums up our province's issue atm can't vape inside/try stuff out so it's a buy and trial error situation which sucks big times,ANY shops that are in quebec province CANNOT sell online and i mean it,can't advertise as a solution to quit cigs etc. (I've heard we have the worst laws in canada so far too)
yup... can't even advertise anything inside the stores either.... clerks cannot even explain how to build or anything. If any are caught breaking the rules, it's a insane amount for the fine. (anywhere from 5 to 20K or more)

Vaping is killing the cigarette market and the "health minister" that has a lot of interest in tobacco companies (read an article about it which magically disappeared really fast after) has been committed to destroy vaping at any costs.

I did the math, and at 20% of smokers that would quit, it would make them lose over a 1/2 a million $ in tax revenue for A WEEK, for a city the size of central Ottawa only (not even counting the Quebec side).

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
yup... can't even advertise anything inside the stores either.... clerks cannot even explain how to build or anything.

Vaping is killing the cigarette market and the "health minister" that has a lot of interest in tobacco companies (read an article about it which magically disappeared really fast after) has been committed to destroy vaping at any costs.

I did the math, and at 20% of smokers that would quit, it would make them lose over a 1/2 a million $ in tax revenue for A WEEK, for a city the size of central Ottawa only (not even counting the Quebec side).
Yeah.... These laws make stores look so....idk boring i guess ? barely any decorations no posters no advertising any products it's boring tbh,i mean yeah i can get the same stuff most U.s citizen can get but 1. it's most likely at a higher price and 2.
yup... can't even advertise anything inside the stores either.... clerks cannot even explain how to build or anything. If any are caught breaking the rules, it's a insane amount for the fine. (anywhere from 5 to 20K or more)

Tbh i'm just glad i can at least quit using ecigs =/ still very sad were considered smokers basically here so people tend to hate you more for vaping than smoking (makes absolutely no sense) but blame cloud chasers for that one..... Most annoying is the fact they can't really tell you much about the industry/material you're wanting to buy or try it just makes things 100x more difficult here,but hey at least i can still buy online at other canadian sites so guess it's better than nothing ?

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Yeah.... These laws make stores look so....idk boring i guess ? barely any decorations no posters no advertising any products it's boring tbh,i mean yeah i can get the same stuff most U.s citizen can get but 1. it's most likely at a higher price and 2.

Tbh i'm just glad i can at least quit using ecigs =/ still very sad were considered smokers basically here so people tend to hate you more for vaping than smoking (makes absolutely no sense) but blame cloud chasers for that one..... Most annoying is the fact they can't really tell you much about the industry/material you're wanting to buy or try it just makes things 100x more difficult here,but hey at least i can still buy online at other canadian sites so guess it's better than nothing ?
Worse story I've seen, someone I know ordered from the US, and since he lives on the Qc side, his order was stopped and he ended up being fined 2K for "illegally" importing a tobacco product which they treat vaping devices as. He was able to avoid a second fine for another item that was (still caught) from the same store, by getting them to return it.

He did try to fight that fine but never heard from him stating that he "won".

But eventually it was a question of just having a nasty person at the custom office that just wanted to be nasty.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5

That is on you at the counter to help the newb switching from analogs to vape, not the youtubers......

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Some people are just weird, my gf pulls for a couple if sec in a big old Aromamizer 30mm, exhales little wisps, I do the same thing and the room starts to cloud up.

Ditto, my wife and daughter can take my vape and blow clouds with them, but I do about double what they can... lung capacity and breathing technique I gather.

Reactions: QcVaper

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada

Not here. Advertising everywhere in the store, bar to sit at, talk shop, or watch a movie while you vape.
We have 1 store within 30 miles then there are 5 then 30 miles later there are 10 more stores.

Sent from tomorrow

Reactions: JC Okie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread