Hi all newbie here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thumper3801

Oct 21, 2018
Ok I joined today as I just got myself the smok priv v8 and had a issue with it right off the bat, I even went back to the store I got it from and of course no refund or returns, so I googled every possible resource I could find about the priv v8 not firing or charging, well I did find a video on the dissemble priv v8 and noticed something in the video and what I was seeing on my unit, first off the ground was not soldered properly so I got a small piece of wire and re did the connection, I then put it back together and still nothing, so now I'm getting ...... at the unit, until I looked more closely at the coil ,it was not touching the atomizer so I pulled at the bottom part that supposed to make the connection and put it back together and refilled the tank and what do you know it worked, so now I'm a happy camper , now to see if it will charge if not will get a charging unit for the battery.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I wish you had inquired here first before purchasing your SMOK. Perhaps unpopular opinions for SMOK mods might have persuaded you to purchase something else other than a SMOK.

Smok

Anyway, it looks like it may be performing for the time being. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Like many who more or less impulse buy a vape at the beginning. I had no idea about nothing when I started...needed a issue with the gear to start researching to find places like ECF.
SMOK hitters are very fragile so one drop can be fatal but almost every hitter is that way.
Its a single battery mod so from my experiences anything over 30 watts takes a toll on the batt, the umph is spent to ramp up the coil...very little left to vaporize the juice so in effect your boiling and burning...not vaporizing efficiently...10-25 watts, single and some higher gauge duals(28,30 gauge wire) is best range for a single batt hitter. New batts work fine but once that battery gets older with more and more recharges under its belt the less efficient the vape. The mod cuts out too soon. Next mod get a 2 or 3 battery hitter if your planning on higher watt vaping for the umph to fire and run lower ohm and multi coil/wire heads more efficiently.
DON'T use the USB charging. Its held to the board with microdots of solder that break, damage or just not work very easily. Its fact that the USB can overcharge by not shutting down at full charge thus shortening the lifespan just like one can do over discharging the batts in a old skool mech. Only as last resort use the USB. Well spent money to use a external charger for the batts and only as last resort the USB.
Read...Read...Read...lots to learn and absorb so your next purchase is "well spent money" having hassle free gear. How far you wanna go with rebuilding coils and DIY juice is up to you but everything you need can be found in here for a great vape experience.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Ok I joined today as I just got myself the smok priv v8 and had a issue with it right off the bat, I even went back to the store I got it from and of course no refund or returns, so I googled every possible resource I could find about the priv v8 not firing or charging, well I did find a video on the dissemble priv v8 and noticed something in the video and what I was seeing on my unit, first off the ground was not soldered properly so I got a small piece of wire and re did the connection, I then put it back together and still nothing, so now I'm getting ...... at the unit, until I looked more closely at the coil ,it was not touching the atomizer so I pulled at the bottom part that supposed to make the connection and put it back together and refilled the tank and what do you know it worked, so now I'm a happy camper , now to see if it will charge if not will get a charging unit for the battery.
Welcome and glad you joined.
Glad to here you solved your problem.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
10-25 watts, single and some higher gauge duals(28,30 gauge wire) is best range for a single batt hitter.
I've used 24 Awg since my first rebuildable, in both dual coils and single coil rdas and never ever had a battery issue with a single 20700 ( could be different from an 18650 but at less than 50 watts i highly doubt it, specially since both my cells are 3000 MaH)

Yes i use about 30 watts on my Kanthal build,but a single cell dosen't mean you have to use thinner wire to get good battery life,well unless you're batteries have less than 3k MaH (or if you use high watts ofc)

If i misunderstood my bad i was on my way to get blood drawn for my diabetes, couldn't drink my coffee this morning (had multiple brain farts lol, like not remembering i came here this morning ahah)

Swoop03

Vaping Yinzer
Sep 28, 2018
Southwest PA, USA, Earth
Hi and welcome to EFC!
As some have said, I would switch to another brand when funds allow it. When smok products work, they work. Will work for quite sometime. But their consistency is shoddy at best, same with the coil heads. I've heard plenty of stories where someone would buy a 5 pack of coils and 3 or 4 would be dead on arrival. I've also seen more mods and tanks dead on arrive from them than any other company. No ones perfect but smok seems to have a not so good reputation built up. They're quantity over quality objectified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread