Hi everyone :). Quick question about epen's and taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbear323

Apr 14, 2019
Hi all!
I have been vaping here and there, it isn't anything i've been to serious about until recently. My husband bought a pretty expensive epen on ebay, it was one that was built, has a huge battery that goes with it. He was vaping and kept commenting about how the ejuice tasted amazing, so I tried it, and it was indeed amazing. His epen is quite large and heavy, so I decided to buy myself a different one that was smaller and not as heavy (was also a chargeable one and not a battery one like the hubbies) but when I vaped from that, the vape had absolutely no taste at all. So I temporarily stopped vaping. I'm not a smoker, I vape purely for taste.

Fast forward about a week, I loved the taste of the vape but still didn't like using the hubbies huge epen...so I purchased another epen. Thankfully I was lucky this time and got an epen that had whatever it needed to have in order to provide an amazing tasting smoke. Fast forward a few months, I ran over it with the car :(, so I am back to square one. I went on ebay, the seller I previously bought it from was no longer selling them, so I bought what I thought was the same brand, but clearly wasn't because the smoke was completely tasteless and void of any flavor. I need to buy a new epen but I don't want to waste money on pens that aren't going to provide a great tasting smoke, what do I need to look for in an epen in order to guarantee a good tasting smoke? The one I am looking at now is a 3200 MAH 510 with a 2.5ml coiled krager tank. I am taking a guess here but I believe it is the higher MAH and the coiled tanks that give the best flavor to the juice?

And before anyone starts to guess that maybe it is a low quality juice I am using...I will use the same juice in the hubbies epen and it tastes like candy, but use it in mine and it literally has no flavor. So the juice isn't the problem.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi and welcome,

You would be well served to visit a local vape shop with your current/previous epens and your husbands' epen and the juice y'all use.
The shop should be able to identify similarities and differences in each unit and help you to find a new epen that works as you wish or they can instruct you in how to achieve the best experience from each device you have.

Cheers
I

Last edited:

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Hello vbear323, do you mean a stick type mod? If so Vaporesso Drizzle kit (basic Mouth to Lung kit, you use it a little like smoking) may be of some interest, here's a link.
Drizzle Kit » Vaporesso

They're getting a little hard to come by, but the Drizzle tank is decent and the mod has some limited power adjustment (3 power output levels) and the tank has a 510 connector so it could even be put on other mod. Coils last a reasonable amount of time, are reasonably cheap for a pack of 5 and the CCell ones give good flavour.

If you don't mind small removable battery mods, Smoant Battlestar Mini with Vaporesso Drizzle tank. Here's a couple of links.
Battlestar mini -- smoant
$26.91 (Free Shipping) Authentic Smoant Battlestar Mini 80W TC VW APV Box Mod (Battlestar Mini 80W, Yellow) at m.FastTech.com

Opens up more options as you have greater control over the vape that the tank produces, also when the battery nears the end of its lifespan all you have to do is replace and properly dispose of the old one.

Hope that you find something that you like and will serve you well.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Any chance you could provide a photo of what your husband has and what you have? If possible make sure any logo's on the tank and mod (epen) are visible. We really need more details to help you better.

BTW, mAh is only indicative of how long a battery will last between charges and has nothing to do with vape flavor, quantity, or quality. You are correct though that the tank and coil are probably the most important parts. If you could provide the photo as I requested we would know what your husband has that you like, and could then provide better suggestions for something similar.

Rest assured you came to the right place, we just need more to go on.

Last edited:

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
Welcome @vbear323 !

Good to hear you found one but obviously sad to hear you ran over it. Contrary to many youtube videos, running over them does diminish the flavor although I have a few that I have considered running over as doing so can reduce frustration. I have to echo previous posts. Knowing what our target is would be very helpful. Terms like "pen", "small", "good flavor" are difficult to qualify. The mah rating is all about battery life. Everything flavor is produced from the atomizer e.g. coil, airflow, shape and size of the vapor chamber, wicking method. Hang in there! You will find your vape!!!

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I agree with the others that the more info you provide, the easier it will be for us to assist.

My idea of “small” and “lightweight” may be way different than yours. I would suggest you look around the forums at mtl atomizers and small internal battery mods.

Pen style vapes are okay I guess, but I don’t see them getting a lot of love here on the forum. And if there were really good ones, we’d all be talking about them.

The closest I’m aware of is the Geek Vape Flint kit, I have them and love them and they’re inexpensive, easy to use, teeny tiny, and have good flavor.

A lot of people are going to suggest external batteries, and that’s fine, I have lots of them. But they are larger, heavier, and require the purchase of those batteries and a charger. For heavy vapers, that’s not a deal breaker, but it’s extra expense and hassle in your case.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Welcome. Um. So many issues. So little time.

First do not buy from ebay unless it's a KNOWN reputable seller there are so many fakes and whatnot.

I am going to suggest the INTERNAL battery Ages. simply because you don't want to worry about batteries yet and that's fine. You CAN actually run over a Geekvape Ages mod and it is like indestructible and waterproof. I would suggest a Zenith tank on tops as it sounds like you want a sort of airy MTL vape, but not a tank. Lots of coils to chose from for a great experience.

There are suppliers who are "trusted" in a sense that they have a presence here, and you might want to check some out as far as well, finding something reputable.

As to your eliquid I have no idea. You may have the wrong type of coil or topper for the eliquid. It may be your taste buds are adjusting, it may be that your new setup is a bad clone and everything in it will be gross.

Lots of manufacturers sell samples of juices, in small quantities, so you can try some thing without having to buy a lot. .Some folks get flavor fatigue using one flavor, but you would have the chance to try them inexpensively. They offer 0 nic options, a lot of them.

Stay away from the Bay when it comes to vape at least. It's not good.

Welcome. We can help you get to a great vape and if you can do show pics of your equipment so we know what you HAVE even.

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I don't recommend purchasing vape setups from E-Bay. In fact, selling them off of E-Bay is allegedly against their TOS (Terms of Service).

Purchase your vape from a reputable vape shop, or from a reputable online supplier like My Vapor Store, Element Vape, or Eight Vape.

Learn the terminology of vaping, and you'll be able to make a more informed decision of how to choose the right vape setup for you.

• Internal or external (removeable) battery device?
  • Tube or box shape?
  • Mouth-to-lung (MTL) or direct-to-lung (DTL) tank?
  • Fixed (single) or variable wattage power output?

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper

Help non-vaper help tech-illiterate analoggers

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
This one is popular right now, Innokin T18 II
Endura T18 II Starter Kit by Innokin
"You can toggle between three power presets by holding down the fire button in the Endura's powered-down state: 10.5w indicated by the left LED, 12w by the middle and 13.5w by the right LED."

@vbear323 Be aware that although that description might make you think this is a variable wattage battery device, it barely is in reality. Just 3 watts difference in power output is barely noticable.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
"You can toggle between three power presets by holding down the fire button in the Endura's powered-down state: 10.5w indicated by the left LED, 12w by the middle and 13.5w by the right LED."

Be aware that although that description might make you think this is a variable wattage battery device, it barely is in reality. Just 3 watts difference in power output is barely noticable.
Have to disagree here Baditude. I can tell a huge difference with 3w up or down. Flavor and heat both are way off for me at even 1w difference. Now with anything over 60w I would agree but even then I do notice the difference, it's just not a deal breaker at that point.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Have to disagree here Baditude. I can tell a huge difference with 3w up or down. Flavor and heat both are way off for me at even 1w difference. Now with anything over 60w I would agree but even then I do notice the difference, it's just not a deal breaker at that point.
If this is true, and I certainly won't disagree with Letitia, it is evidence to just how important variable wattage is compared to a fixed, single wattage output battery device (like a mechanical mod). Letitia says just 3 watts difference in power output affects flavor and vapor temperature.

Last edited:
Reactions: Letitia

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
If this is true, and I certainly won't disagree with Letitia, it is evidence to just how important variable wattage is compared to a fixed, single wattage output battery device (like a mechanical mod). Letitia says just 3 watts difference in power output affects flavor and vapor temperature.

I agree. When vaping at 10W a 3W difference is roughly a 30% increase or decrease in power. If you're a 100W vaper, then a 3W change isn't noticeable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread