Hi folks, Smok G-Priv 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

glynnd

Nov 15, 2018
hey, I saw someone ask how to change the resistance on the smok G-priv 2 but the only answer they got was u cudnt. But actually u can, if u first hit the fire button 3 times to lock the screen then hold the fire button down for 5 secs you have a plus and minus to increase or decrease the resistance slightly. As stated tho, the device reads the resistance in ohms from the coil and no matter how well the coils are made your taking about a piece of coiled wire, there's different factors that can give the coil a diff resistance than advertised from a slight diff in the thickness of the wire or the length being 2 of them. Personally I change the resistance to what its meant to be. Don't know if it burns the coils out quicker or makes them last longer. Maybe someone else can answer that for me.
Thanks,
Glynn

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I don’t have one of these devices but your discovery interests me. I’m not sure whether you’re actually changing the resistance though. Pics might help.

I am of the school of thought that the smok gpriv2 is a classic example of a device that no one should buy ever. Your discovery could possibly change my mind on this

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I used a tpriv for a while. You can change what the display reads as far as ohms are concerned but a coils resistance cannot actually be changed with a display setting. A coils resistance may change slightly once it has been used but to actually change resistance with a display setting, really?

• Agree
Reactions: Baditude

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
You're not changing the resistance, you're changing the resistance reading.

This is like saying you can lower the mileage in your car by manually spinning back the odometer. Yeah it'll show you drove less miles but it doesn't make it so you drove less miles.

A couple of mods do this but I can't think of any helpful and practical reasons why, save some niche situations in variable voltage mode. I think it's probably something that needs to be included in a board that supports TC but they break it out so they can list it on a box or call it a feature.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
hey, I saw someone ask how to change the resistance on the Smok G-priv 2 but the only answer they got was u cudnt. But actually u can, if u first hit the fire button 3 times to lock the screen then hold the fire button down for 5 secs you have a plus and minus to increase or decrease the resistance slightly. As stated tho, the device reads the resistance in ohms from the coil and no matter how well the coils are made your taking about a piece of coiled wire, there's different factors that can give the coil a diff resistance than advertised from a slight diff in the thickness of the wire or the length being 2 of them. Personally I change the resistance to what its meant to be. Don't know if it burns the coils out quicker or makes them last longer. Maybe someone else can answer that for me.
Thanks,
Glynn

@dom qp said, you cannot change the resistance. Here is the general idea of how the mods work.. you have a coil in an atomizer. When you push the fire button It sends some electricity and measures how much is resisted. That setting is calculated against the wattage you have set for the device, and that's how many volts are sent to the coil. Now, If you can change the setting on the T-priv.. you're not changing the resistance of the coil, you're changing the value it uses in ohms law, and it will send a different volt. This setting can be useful if you have a coil that jumps resistance.. It will prevent it from a false reading and sending too many volts to the coil burning the coil.

Ohms is simply how much resistance the coil gives from the positive to the negative. If everything is connected fine, then it shouldn't vary much. Over time, the resistance will slowly creep up... but not drastically. I'd guestimate it will go up +%10 from a new coil to the time you throw it out. There should be very little reason to manually change the resistance.... and if you override it, it might bypass some safety features like short circuit protection. Since I am not knowledgeable about what it can or cannot do when you change the resistance, I would advise against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread