Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I've been reading this forum for a while now, and decided to join in. I'm new to vaping. I started out with an e-cig to quit a 30 year cig habit. For the last five months I've used Vuse (I know, but it worked) and not had a single cigarette.

After spending a bit of time educating myself by reading this and a few other online forums, and figuring out how much I was spending on Vuse cartridges, I decided to jump in with a starter kit from Halo. It's a very simple starter, but wow, what a huge difference from Vuse (or blu or Logic, which I also tried). At first I was concerned that as I was chain vaping with Vuse, which has a very high nicotine concentration (48 mg) that e liquids would either be too weak or I'd run through it too fast. After a few days, I'm actually using it way less than Vuse, finding myself satisfied much faster than before.

Just for yuks I went back and tried a few hits off a Vuse cartridge for comparison. There's no way I could never go back to that after experiencing a "real vape".

So looking forward to being here and continuing to learn about how all this stuff works, and get the best vape experience for me.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome to the forum @Eskie. Glad to have you here!:)

Congratulations on quiting.
So looking forward to being here and continuing to learn about how all this stuff works, and get the best vape experience for me.
If you are interested in learning more about e-cigarettes (and all the parts and pieces) below are some blog posts by ECF member @Baditude that I highly recommend for someone new to vaping.
Nicotine

A "general guideline" for nicotine concentration in e-liquid to the number of cigarettes smoked per day. If you are subohming (resistance under 1.0Ω) cut these nicotine levels by at least 50%.

06 mg = 10 cigarettes or less
12 mg = 20 cigarettes
18 mg = 30 cigarettes
24 mg = 40 cigarettes

eLiquid/Juice

PG = Propylene Glycol - the "flavor carrier" of e-liquid. A secondary source of "throat hit", but not as strong as the nicotine concentration. Some people have a sensitivity or even an allergy to PG. It's very thin.

VG = Vegetable Glycerin - the "vapor maker" of e-liquid. Used as a sweeter in many food sources, and also as a skin emollient. It's very thick. Often labeled just "Glycerine"

PG and VG are often used together in different ratios in e-liquid. For example, a 50/50 PG/VG ratio. Many juice vendors offer a range of different ratios as far as PG/VG.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Welcome to ecf.

WOW! 48mg in a cig-a-like? Glad it worked for you but geez. What is Vuse thinking? I wonder if the FDA sanctions this? Guess they have to keep ppl coming back, huh?
I would venture to say, please don't try that on a stronger ecig/mod unless you are sure its your strength.
Also glad you felt the need to try something else. Halo is a good starter also.
Glad you found ecf.
:)

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Thanks all! I will say it's been great to be cig free after all those years. My daughter has been thrilled about it after being on my case since age 3 (now just turned 21, boy time flies). Now there's no more stepping outside to have a smoke. I can vape with her in the house and even in the car, although that's all been with Vuse, which had little to no "vapor" to exhale. I'm sure she'll be good with this as it's still not a cigarette.

Sugar, yes 48 mg. Which was probably a good thing to actually get me to switch. Right now I'm using Halo's 24 mg Tribeca, and find it far more satisfying than Vuse ever was. I have a few more of their sample size tobacco flavored products on order, so I can compare and decide what I like for an everyday liquid.

Another reason I like the vaping system (other than it just being a better experience) is now I can lower the nicotine content over time, working down to hopefully 0 at some point. With the prefilled Vuse that was not an option.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Thank you all for those links on helpful posts. Sometimes it seems there are too many solutions for how to vape. I guess it's a matter of finding out which works best for you. In my case, as a former smoker, I guess I'm what you call a MTL type. I'm really not looking for clouds (right now), just enough nicotine that's palatable to keep me from going back to cigarettes. Which is why I read threads about sub-ohm tanks/coils for my own education, but see no reason (yet) to go that way. Although it seems like the latest and greatest in the industry keeps moving in that direction.

I'm also a keep it simple person, so while I appreciate reading some of the threads with folks building/rebuilding their own coils, that's not the direction I would choose to go (right now, although if this FDA stuff isn't properly sorted out in the next few years, I guess I'll have to expand my skill set anyway, no way I'm stopping vaping).

Now, mixing my own liquid I'd be perfectly comfortable with. I just need to figure out how to recreate the flavoring of juices I like, but I'm a long way from knowing just what I would like make, and need to try different juices to figure out my preferences. I figure I'll be vaping many bottles before I feel comfortable enough to DIY liquids, though. Which is a burden I'll happily bear. :)

Regardless, this has turned into a very pleasant new hobby to pursue, with the benefit of it being a lot healthier than what I was doing with cigs before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread