Hi, help appreciated for noob to RDAs and sub ohm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freeridincalistyle

Mar 11, 2014
CA
Hello,

Thanks in advance for any advice or constructive criticism. I tried to underline the most relevant info so its easy to review info. Set-up at bottom.

Ive been vaping for a bit now, and im looking for advice regarding building a dual coil in a IGO W4 for sub-ohm vaping. A while ago I went from my Ego-C Twist with an evod, to a Chi You clone set-up and never looked back. As my interest has progressed, Im now looking into an rda. Im picking up the IGO W4 in the next few days in the hopes of running it on the Chi You at .5 ohms.

Ive watched/read a TOOOOOON of the "intro to sub ohm vaping", "battery safety", etc, etc. and lurked various forums for a bit, but i still have a few questions :

I plan on buying using 28g Kanthal and cotton to build two 1 ohm micro coils, which will operate at .5 ohms. My main question is, should i use 28g? I commonly see people using 26-28g when vaping that low, but would that only apply to a single coil at .5 ohms? Or would I use a thinner gauge (30, 32? idk just spit balling?)I know that what I decide on could greatly effect vape quality. Im hoping to not run it to the point where it drys up/vapes burnt if not completely saturated. (or the opposite effect with too thick of Kanthal)

Next, I plan on expanding the air holes on the IGO W4 to 2mm. Will this fit what im doing but also be a versatile enough size to use if I change things up?

My set-up is (WILL BE) : Chi You Clone/ AW or Efest 18650, 2000mah, 10 amp limit/IGO W4. On my Ohm Calc it should would at .5 ohms, but im mainly concerned with whether ill burn my liquid, or have an undesirable vape. AAAAND just to double check myself :D

I will be using a Multimeter and proper materials/safety when doing this all. Thank you.

Sorry if I left out any important info. Any questions will be answered promptly.

Lastly, see any room for improvement? Im always open to suggestions.

Last edited:

Dakota Jim

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
in a warehouse buried near Univille SD
I would recommend a better battery than a 10 amp battery - 4.1v @ .5 ohm is 8.2 amps and also 4.1v @ .5 ohm is 33.62 watts
I recommend having at least 100% or double the amps safety margin

I believe you could run into issues with that battery if you chain vape or run a 10 second (or longer) vape in your cloud chasing.

in regards to wire remember that the thicker wire (26 or 28 ga) does take a lot more power (and time) to get hot so if you must subohm than I would recommend the 30 or 32ga wire

in regards to burnt taste - I have built many, many different single coil subohm builds from .5 and up on several different RDA's with different airflow characteristics and 100% tasted burnt when they were above 10 watts (8 watts for most)

Now I will admit that I did the subohm builds to try and prove myself wrong on the whole burnt taste issue that ardent cloud chasers say does not exist but unfortunately I am taste sensitive since I quit smoking

I am also anti-cloud chasing just because of the negative impression it gives the uninformed (and voting) general public. Vapers can cloud chase all they want as long as they do it the privacy of their own homes with other consenting adult cloud chasers.

Remember, it looks like smoke to the uninformed general public and most of them know it MUST be bad if it generates that much "smoke".

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
Sub ohms don't go well with a 30 or 32, the tend to get much higher temperature this burning your juice use the 28 and some cotton you will be fine

About the battery as the previous poster said go for a better one for those ohms

Get the 1600 mah or a aw 18490 as they are 16 amps
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
looking for advice and info?? first off get some batteries rated for 20+A, 10 amps is pushing the max limits at the .5 ohms, there is no safety zone involved in your calcs. 30ga. wire is a fair one to work with, it heats up quickly, especially when running duals. 26ga is a bit thick and requires a fair amount of energy to heat up, and duals in 26.... consider the 30A batteries... Play SAFE...

xanderxman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2012
Ptown, VA
I would not run anything that draws more than 5 amps with those batteries. I am drawing 10.5A at 4.2V running a dual coil setup built with 26ga kanthal at .4 ohms and I use the 30A Sony batteries. Better safe than sorry.

I have found that, if building dual coil at around .5 ohms, 26 ga kanthal works fine. I have also drilled out the air holes in my Igo-W to 7/64" for better airflow.

xanderxman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2012
Ptown, VA
SNIP
I am also anti-cloud chasing just because of the negative impression it gives the uninformed (and voting) general public. Vapers can cloud chase all they want as long as they do it the privacy of their own homes with other consenting adult cloud chasers.

Remember, it looks like smoke to the uninformed general public and most of them know it MUST be bad if it generates that much "smoke".

I have yet to see any regulation based on the amount of vapor produced. Any amount of "smoke" looks bad to the uninformed public. Are we, as vapers, really going to start determining who should and should not vape in public? How do we decide the appropriate volume of "smoke" in public?

I've been sub-ohming for a few months now so I will try to not say anything stupid. Usually I cloud chase in a secluded or private area at work/ or just at home. I think the general idea here is to get a good battery. I bought two Sony VTC3s before I did any thing below 1.5 ohms. Wire is preference. I use 30ga wire and run dual coils at .5 . The trick is to pay attention to your hardware AND KNOW IT'S LIMITS... THEN AVOID THOSE LIMITS!! If it warms up take a break. I've noticed sub-ohm isn't really for chain vaping. You're mod or RDA will get warm after some consistent vaping so best to take it in small doses. the 2mm air holes should be sufficient. I used a 5/64" bit on my Nimbus and the air flows for days. I've heard of people going as big as 1/8" so just start small and work up and make sure there's enough airflow to keep things "comfy". Always be safe when operating outside the norm. This is a measure twice cut once scenario, with very real hazards. Who knows, you may not even like it. I've known people who swear it's burnt every time (could be lousy builds, could be their taste is different) and others, like myself, who absolutely LOVE the flavor, clouds, and experience. But above everything, BE SAFE. Ohms law calculators are very helpful to find that "sweet spot" as well. Hope this helps, best of luck to you.

JimmyLee

ECF Veteran
Sub ohms don't go well with a 30 or 32, the tend to get much higher temperature this burning your juice use the 28 and some cotton you will be fine

About the battery as the previous poster said go for a better one for those ohms

Get the 1600 mah or a aw 18490 as they are 16 amps
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Correct a mundo! Using the thinner gauge wire (30 and 32) on sub ohm builds is what burns juice. The coils heat up way to fast. I am vaping Grandmaster (a juice notorious for burning easily) on a .33 dual setup as I type this (Dual flat .......s in an Origen V2). Not to say there isn't use for the thinner wire. .30 gauge makes a great micro or nano coil build with fruity type juices that tend to release more flavor at higher temps without burning. Honestly after reading the post above (all juices taste burnt on sub ohm) i believe the poster has probably never set up an atty correctly in his vaping life. Watch rip trippers vids on you tube for some great tasty coil builds.

JimmyLee

ECF Veteran
Stick with it buddy, nobody learned all this stuff overnight and many of us have made mistakes and wasted money figuring out how we want to vape. If you keep doing your homework you'll be an expert at your preferred vaping method in no time. Just remember the safety aspects of anything you try and if you aren't sure research, research, and research some more until your sure your safe, always better to err on the side of caution and remember opinions are like ........(you know what), everybody has one.

porkchop_express

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2014
tx
I run a basic sub-ohm build on my IGO-W. Dual microcoil with cotton at .6ohms using 28K.

My 10A Panasonics work fine at .6 but I would not go any lower with them. They do begin warming up after about 30 seconds of chainvape. Now I regret buying them.

28K is a good wire and you will be happy with it. Coils will last a good long while, not get brittle and break easily like 32ga does.

For me, some flavors are better at 10W and they stay on the MVP2/Protank. Some are straight killer at 20W+ and I only drip them at subohm. You'll just have to figure that part out but hell, that's half the fun :)

Freeridincalistyle

Mar 11, 2014
CA
Hi guys. I just wanted to update and say that I purchased an IGO W3 (not 4), and the 28g kanthal. I built the dual micro coils and it came out to .71. Vapes like a champ! Im actually surprised everything went so according to plan.

I got the 3 to support my local vape shop. What cool dudes. They offer flavor tests on juices, will assemble and/or polish your set-up, and give advice and good deals to noobs. Pleasant to talk to too! Overall, getting the 3 is no loss in my book. Possibly a good thing. Im getting the best vape ive had, so 0 complaints here :vapor:

Thanks for all the help. I took in all the advice I got, and it definitely positively effected what I decided on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread