Hi, I'm a new member. I have a question about my Cleito 120.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris37

Jan 6, 2018
I'm currently using a cleito 120 with the .16 ohm coils suggested to be Vaped at 100-120 watts. Is it bad to vape that coil at a lower wattage, like 60-70 watts? Ive been using it at on average at 65 watts and it seems to make the coil last longer but someone had told me its bad to do to that bc the it doesn't produce enough resistance for that coil. I haven't had any issues and have been able to make the coil last much longer than suggested (2+ weeks). Any advice?

Reactions: stols001

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
Resistance is fixed, it won't change if you use higher or lower power.

If you're using a regulated mod you should just use whatever you like. It won't work if it's not safe.

My personal opinion is that it's not worth being frugal when it sacrifices performance; this is a symptom that you're using a set up that isn't appropriate for you.

If you're comfortable at 60-70 watts I would find a tank that has coils in a higher resistance which means they're usually cheaper. The lower the resistance the more wire and/or more complex it has to be.

These super low resistance coils often need a lot of heat to thin out the liquid and wick properly. While the metal part may last longer, you might inadvertently burn the cotton. There's also things that come with using it under powered (e.g. juice spit back).

Your problem is like having a Ferrari and telling us the maintenance cost is too high. Asking if it would be better to drive it slowly to not wear out the parts/tires. The logical answer would be to trade in the Ferrari for something slower and with a cheaper maintenance cost.

Chris37

Jan 6, 2018
Resistance is fixed, it won't change if you use higher or lower power.

If you're using a regulated mod you should just use whatever you like. It won't work if it's not safe.

My personal opinion is that it's not worth being frugal when it sacrifices performance; this is a symptom that you're using a set up that isn't appropriate for you.

If you're comfortable at 60-70 watts I would find a tank that has coils in a higher resistance which means they're usually cheaper. The lower the resistance the more wire and/or more complex it has to be.

These super low resistance coils often need a lot of heat to thin out the liquid and wick properly. While the metal part may last longer, you might inadvertently burn the cotton. There's also things that come with using it under powered (e.g. juice spit back).

Your problem is like having a Ferrari and telling us the maintenance cost is too high. Asking if it would be better to drive it slowly to not wear out the parts/tires. The logical answer would be to trade in the Ferrari for something slower and with a cheaper maintenance cost.

Makes sense thanks dom

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Hi and welcome to ECF. I personally feel that you should vape at whatever wattage satisfies you (even if it's lower than recommended wattage, the only "bad" thing that will happen is that as you say, coils will last longer.) I vape below recommended wattage quite often and still get a satisfying vape (with that said I am locked into high VG due to my PG sensitivity, so I tend to find a satisfying vape at lower wattages with plenty of vapor.

So if you are SATISFIED with your vape, do that. If you are NOT satisfied with the vape, and want to use higher wattage but dissatisfied with your coil life at higher wattages, that's a different issue.

Juice also affects coil life, so avoiding gunking factors (dark, NET, sweet, food coloring added colors) will also extend coil life, so that's an option as well.

If you'd like to vape at lower resistance to save on battery and juice life, then yes, you'd want to find an appropriate resistance coil, that may not require as much wattage to heat.

But really, what you do is entirely up to you and what works for you. I'd agree that lower wattages often will extend coil life, so if your vape is satisfying you I see absolutely no problem.

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: gpjoe

Chris37

Jan 6, 2018
Hi and welcome to ECF. I personally feel that you should vape at whatever wattage satisfies you (even if it's lower than recommended wattage, the only "bad" thing that will happen is that as you say, coils will last longer.) I vape below recommended wattage quite often and still get a satisfying vape (with that said I am locked into high VG due to my PG sensitivity, so I tend to find a satisfying vape at lower wattages with plenty of vapor.

So if you are SATISFIED with your vape, do that. If you are NOT satisfied with the vape, and want to use higher wattage but dissatisfied with your coil life at higher wattages, that's a different issue.

Juice also affects coil life, so avoiding gunking factors (dark, NET, sweet, food coloring added colors) will also extend coil life, so that's an option as well.

If you'd like to vape at lower resistance to save on battery and juice life, then yes, you'd want to find an appropriate resistance coil, that may not require as much wattage to heat.

But really, what you do is entirely up to you and what works for you. I'd agree that lower wattages often will extend coil life, so if your vape is satisfying you I see absolutely no problem.

Anna

Awesome thanks Anna.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. Most manufacturers ratings for coils are too high. I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do with the fact they burn out more quickly and manufacturers are in the business of selling coils. If you like the vape you're getting at half the recommended wattage, vape on.

numsquat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
Hi and welcome. Most manufacturers ratings for coils are too high. I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do with the fact they burn out more quickly and manufacturers are in the business of selling coils. If you like the vape you're getting at half the recommended wattage, vape on.

Actually the 120 is legit, I would go 110-120 for great clouds. But would go through a coil in less than a week at 110+, 3ish weeks at 60.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I'm currently using a Cleito 120 with the .16 ohm coils suggested to be Vaped at 100-120 watts. Is it bad to vape that coil at a lower wattage, like 60-70 watts? Ive been using it at on average at 65 watts and it seems to make the coil last longer but someone had told me its bad to do to that bc the it doesn't produce enough resistance for that coil. I haven't had any issues and have been able to make the coil last much longer than suggested (2+ weeks). Any advice?
Welcome and glad you joined.
I find that the wattage that works for me is usually a few watts over the lowest watt setting (where i can barely see the vape cloud on the exhale). Lower watt settings lessen the chance of burning the liquid and generates the best flavor.
After I get my Atty (coil and chamber heat up) going for awhile, I will often times turn the power down or up to see if I can taste more flavor. I'm often surprised at how much better tasting the vape can be by adjusting the vape temp/wattage. In general, the lower the wattage, the longer the coil life.

numsquat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2015
Precisely my point.

My response was based on the 120w was not over rated, it works as it's supposed to at that range.

Running a lower wattage on any factory coil will probably extend the life of the coil. On my 120's I have RTA decks now and only use the factory coils in a pinch (or laziness to rewick at times). On coils I build at 0.2ish I rewick after 3-5 days running in the 100-120 range, 2ish-3 weeks at 55-65w.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread