Hi! need a bit of advice on coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbin12

May 18, 2018
So after my last post I went ahead and bought the Aegis legend, after some trouble with the firmware that was solved I'm really enjoying it. I have a uwell crown tank with it.
Now for the question, I put in the Ni200 0.15 coil in it but I can't really seem to find the right setting for it and I don't want to burn the coil fast. I found suggestions of TC-NI mode at 450 with 45watts but it feels.. off. Am I using the wrong mode? I know it's also personal preference, but what's a good running point to try in terms of temp/wattage/mode?

Also - is it possible to use a rebuild-able coil for something like the Uwell? I assume not, so I'm really trying to ask for recommendations for an atomizer for DTL vaping with a rebuild-able coil.

Reactions: stols001

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Unfortunately there's no Rba section for the Crown III (i was also disapointed about it)
If you speak about rta for rebuilding coils then i can't help you since i use Drippers.

If you wanna go the Dripper route i suggest the Drop Rda, very easy to build on, forgiving to wick and flavor for days.

NB: i don't do Tc much but i think the wire you use is Power mode only .

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
NI-200 IS TC ONLY!

You don't say what seems off to offer any help aimed at your problem, only our opinions on what works for us. I don't particularly like the taste of NI-200 although it's not a complete deal breaker for me.

Lock it in at a room temperature of 72°F. If it's locked in higher it will run hot. If locked in cooler it will run cold.

450°F is pretty hot. Hot enough to create unpleasant chemicals.
I would start around 380°F. Then adjust it to your tastes.

Wattage I would use would be 75w to start with.
Wattage is your ramp up time. If it's too slow ramping up turn it up. If it overshoots or porpoises turn it down.
Wattage in TC on the Legend is more like a rough suggestion to the mod.

You don't want to set a wattage so low that it is your limiting factor (I don't think it works like a hard limit with the Legend anyway). Temperature is your limiting factor.

I've seen people setting up TC so they're vaping power with the wattage setting and expecting the temperature setting to save them from a dry hit but then have the temperature set hotter than it takes to burn a wick or make bad chemicals out of eliquid. If they're lucky the mod's dry wick warning is good enough to keep them from getting a dry hit but it doesn't keep them from getting a burnt hit.
That is a way but IMO not the best way to use TC. Use the temperature.
Not to mention the part where you can't turn the wattage down far enough it won't heat on a Legend so that mindset of using wattage as the main control in TC really won't work on that mod.

TC-NI is the right mode for NI coils.

Presently on my Legends I have Themis mesh with the SS316L Vapefly Stamped mesh coils. TC-SS mode. 60w. 360°-370°F.
With screen mesh I have them at 50w and TC-TCR with a TCR of 088 and about the same temperature.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
So after my last post I went ahead and bought the Aegis legend, after some trouble with the firmware that was solved I'm really enjoying it. I have a Uwell crown tank with it.
Now for the question, I put in the Ni200 0.15 coil in it but I can't really seem to find the right setting for it and I don't want to burn the coil fast. I found suggestions of TC-NI mode at 450 with 45watts but it feels.. off. Am I using the wrong mode? I know it's also personal preference, but what's a good running point to try in terms of temp/wattage/mode?

Also - is it possible to use a rebuild-able coil for something like the Uwell? I assume not, so I'm really trying to ask for recommendations for an atomizer for DTL vaping with a rebuild-able coil.
If you have the original Uwell Crown tank there is an rba for it.

You can find it here. (about the cheapest I have ever found-- other vendos up $5 and up))

Uwell Crown RBA - Crown, Crown II, Rafale - Uwell - Tanks & Coils

:)

Robbin12

May 18, 2018
Thank you for the replies, Myk - I took your advice and that was a great starting point, I'll fine tune it slowly.. although I don't understand what you meant by locking in room temperature?

I own a Crown III and did a bit of research, doesn't seem like they make RBA coils for it, but they have a specific RBA atomizer.

I was thinking about going the dripper route, I've never really built coils or tried drippers though. I'll try to find a guide on here but do you know of a full DIY set I can purchase? Tank/cotton/coil wire and maybe a coil maker to make things easier.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I was thinking about going the dripper route, I've never really built coils or tried drippers though. I'll try to find a guide on here but do you know of a full DIY set I can purchase? Tank/cotton/coil wire and maybe a coil maker to make things easier.
Might like to read:
Drip Vaping: Your Guide to Dripping e-Juice | Vape-Resource.com
http://spinfuel.com/art-drip-guide-vaping/
(7) Information Resources for Your First RBA | E-Cigarette Forum
Atomizer vs. Cartomizer vs. Clearomizer. The Ultimate Guide
Rebuildable Tanks Explained: RBAs vs RDAs vs RTAs vs RDTAs
If you can bend paper clips and thread a needle, you can build your own coils and wick them.
Wrapping Building Coils 101 For Beginners

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I put in the Ni200 0.15 coil in it but I can't really seem to find the right setting for it and I don't want to burn the coil fast. I found suggestions of TC-NI mode at 450 with 45watts but it feels.. off. Am I using the wrong mode? I know it's also personal preference, but what's a good running point to try in terms of temp/wattage/mode?

I own a Crown III
I'm confused. You say you are using the Crown 3 tank and using the Ni200 0.15 ohm coils in it. The Crown 3 doesn't have Ni200 0.15 ohm coils. Are you using the original Crown coils in it? I don't believe they are compatible.

Coil Specifications:

• 0.25 ohm Dual Stainless Steel Uwell Crown 3 Sub-Ohm Coil - 80 to 120W
  • 0.5 ohm Dual Stainless Steel Uwell Crown 3 Sub-Ohm Coil - 30 to 80W
  • 0.4 ohm Dual Kanthal Uwell Crown 3 Sub-Ohm Coil - 55 to 65W

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: stols001

Robbin12

May 18, 2018
This is the one I have, must be different coils in some of them for whatever reason.

Attachments

• IMG_20180806_200230.jpg
    IMG_20180806_200230.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
This is the one I have, must be different coils in some of them for whatever reason.

I put in the Ni200 0.15 coil in it but I can't really seem to find the right setting for it and I don't want to burn the coil fast. I found suggestions of TC-NI mode at 450 with 45watts but it feels.. off.
I went to the official Uwell website and looked for the replacement coils for the Crown 3. I didn't see a Ni200 0.15 ohm coil listed for the Crown 3. Not sure what that means in your case, but I'd think Uwell would keep their website up to date concerning their product line. :blink:

Uwell makes a Ni200 0.15 ohm coil for the original Crown, but as I said I think those are incompatible with their other tanks. You're trying to use the wrong coils in your tank and probably why "it feels...off".

Uwell Replacement Coils for all of Uwell's tanks.

Last edited:

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Thank you for the replies, Myk - I took your advice and that was a great starting point, I'll fine tune it slowly.. although I don't understand what you meant by locking in room temperature?

TC coils change resistance according to temperature.
With temperature control resistance to the 3rd spot matters. .152Ω will be very different than .158Ω. The problem with some mods, including the Legend, is they don't show you the 3rd digit so you're left to guess by how it feels.
Another problem is ohmmeters that are that accurate are very expensive.
My house is usually 73° and that's enough that I often have to hold my tanks in front of the AC to cool them down in the summer. If it's not AC weather I've been known to put a mod in the freezer for a while.
I did a build when I was at a party where it was 90° out and there was just no hope. I just had to turn the temperature way down to keep it from getting too hot and wait until I got home to set it right.
In the winter when my house is colder than 72° it's easier, just bump the fire button and reset the reading as it cools down.

To take a new reading on the Legend you highlight the resistance spot. The - locks and unlocks it, you want it unlocked to take a new reading. The + takes a new reading.

You're trying to use the wrong coils in your tank.

But it looks like the product packaging. Maybe older stock?

Robbin12

May 18, 2018
I went to the official Uwell website and looked for the replacement coils for the Crown 3. I didn't see a Ni200 0.15 ohm coil listed for the Crown 3. Not sure what that means in your case, but I'd think Uwell would keep their website up to date concerning their product line. :blink:

Uwell makes a Ni200 0.15 ohm coil for the original Crown, but as I said I think those are incompatible with their other tanks. You're trying to use the wrong coils in your tank and probably why "it feels...off".

Uwell Replacement Coils for all of Uwell's tanks.

Sorry I'm embarrassed... no idea why I wrote down Crown 3 in my earlier post, it's the original crown. Clears that right up.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Sorry I'm embarrassed... no idea why I wrote down Crown 3 in my earlier post, it's the original crown. Clears that right up.
No problem. I have used the Ni200 0.15ohm coil for the original Crown. I'm more of a wattage guy, but I gave them a whirl. I didn't particularly like them, but I admit that I didn't go into the intricities of setting my mod up especially for this coil. I don't remember the settings I was using in TC...its been over a year.

My preference are the 0.5 ohm SS coils, chiefly because my sweet spot over the last couple of years has been vaping at 30 watts. My second preference is the 1.2 ohm SS coils, at perhaps 25 watts. These coils produce a little less vapor, but I expected that with a higher ohm/lower wattage setting. The 0.25 ohm SS coils always tended to be too warm even at 30 watts.

Of course, this is based on my personal experience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread