Hi, need a little advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm new here and am also new to vaping. I've been off cigs for about 2 weeks now and am using a Tsunami e-cig. I really like the Tsunami, I have 2 batteries, 2 tanks and my charger. I bought them at a JC's cig outlet here in town but the only juice they carry is some kind of weird brand that has a picture of a yellow drop with a smile and a wink. It is the tobacco flavor (I also bought the grape flavor) and it is 16mg nicotine. I would prefer a 12mg as I always smoked light cigs before. I also have noticed that the vapor seems to be a bit rough for me. I am looking for a really smooth vapor and was wondering if anyone has any advice on that. I have been looking and have seen alot about the vg and pg and I am not sure what it is or how it affects the smoothness of the vapor. Any advise will be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks!

~Susiejo

By roughness I mean it can make my throat sore sometimes, kinda like when I was smoking cigs and had smoked too much my throat would get a bit sore. I didn't know if a lower nicotine count would help or if it was something else. My husband is still smoking cigs but has been using a Tsumani some too, like at work where he can't smoke and he said it made his lungs hurt. And he normally smokes 1-1 1/2 packs a day.
Also, like when I've just eaten something and I take a hit off my Tsunami it kinda burns my mouth. Don't know why eating would affect that but it does.
I do have to say that I really enjoy puffing on my Tsunami so maybe I'm getting more nicotine than I did when I was smoking so maybe going to a lower level would help, but I need to reorder some e-juice so before I do I was wanting to find a good one from those of you who are veterans at this. What is a good brand?
The tank is what came with the Tsunami. It came in a box with 2 tanks, 2 batteries and a charger. On the box it says, Tsunami 1000x tank.
Thanks for the reply.

~Susiejo

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Hi susiejo and welcome to ECF. Congrats on 2 weeks :thumbs:
Juice Components
Flavoring usually about 15%- could be higher or lower depending on the flavor used.
PG enhances flavor, TH and lung hit- water like - many of us believe PG to be a throat irritant.
VG= vapor and can mute flavor- thick
Nicotine- TH, lung hit and our need for nicotine. The MOST important ingredient in regards to TH and lung hit.
Standards in the industry are 80/ 20 or 70/ 30 PG/ VG. Some vapers are sensitive to PG and either use a 100% VG or a 50/ 50 PG/ VG ratio.

Are you drinking lottsa water?
PG and VG are humectants...
A humectant is a substance used primarily in foods and cosmetic products to help retain moisture. These substances are called hygroscopic, which means that they are able to absorb ambient water. These hygroscopic compounds posses a chemical structure that attracts water from the atmosphere and binds it to various sites along the molecule.

When we inhale PG/ VG it "traps" the moisture in our mouth, throat and nasal area and thus the vapor. The real problem arises when the body is dehydrated and begins "stealing" moisture from other parts of the body to keep key organs hydrated. Add to that more than 3 cups of java or caffeine based soda drinks and severe dehydration can occur.
Ask any chemist and they will tell you the same. I drink 2+ liters of water per day and no more than 3 cups Java per day.

This stuff is distributed by: SNI National (sninational.com), it doesn't say the ratio but on ingredients it has: propylene glycol usp kosher grade, glyserin usp kosher grade, nicotine (naturally derived from tobacco), natural and artificial flavorings.
I may have some of the spelling wrong, the writing on this bottle is really small and I'm not a spring chicken anymore.

And thanks for all the info Vapoor eyes er, I don't think I've been drinking enough water lately. That probably explains why I have had a dry mouth lately. I'll definitely start drinking more water.

And thanks Litta'sGabby and evan le'garde, for the thoughts on the pg and vg. I guess everyone reacts differently to each of those so I guess what I need to do is try a variation of both and see which it is that I am having difficulty with.

~Susiejo

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
You're welcome. It's really important to stay hydrated- long story short when I first began vaping I knew about dehydration but wanted to test it out- ended up with sore throat, headaches and not a very pleasant experience.
propylene glycol usp kosher grade= PG
glyserin usp kosher grade= VG
The USP means it's food grade.
I would ask the Vendor what the PG/ VG ratio is. "Most" of the smaller vendors will customize juices for their customers at no extra charge.
The Very Best of Luck.

Seeing that the pg comes first in the ingredients list, that means that it is the highest concentration. There are plenty of great online juice vendors. They will usually offer different blends of whatever flavor you want. Try a 50/50 mix and maybe a 100% vg mix. Pg definitely has more throat hit. The nicotine level does effect my throat hit but mostly it usually hits more in the lungs. So you could lower nic levels but keep a higher concentration of pg to still give some throat hit. I know you are getting a lot of info here but it really is a lot of trial and error to find what works for you. That is how we all learned. I personally cant stand 100% vg liquid but some of my friends love the stuff. I think it makes it taste weird. It is so subjective. Good luck and congrats on getting of the cigs.

Last edited:
I just looked up your kit. I don't know how long those tanks are good for. It doesn't say if it is a cartomizer or atomizer tank. This info could help. Atomizer's last a little longer than cartomizers but eventually will have to be replaced. I get about a week out of my cartomizer. If your tank needs replacement, that could have something to do with the throat problems. Did it hurt your throat since the beginning or did this start recently?

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
I don't have any particular sensitivity to either PG or VG. That said I found my happy spot at 60%PG/40%VG and 6 MG nic. Greatly reduced TH but still a decent flavor. That said I do have juices at the more standard 70/30 or even a few at 95/5. I am just finding given the choice I will grab 60/40 and I DIY at 60/40.

It is all personal preference and unfortunately the only way to find what you like is to try several.

Thanks grandnagusjason, I hadn't thought about the pg being first in the ingredient list, but makes sense. I'll try one with a lower pg level and see if that helps.
Yeah, I really needed to quit smoking. I quit smoking back in 1999 because my hubby and I wanted to have a baby. I got pregnant in 2000 and had my daughter in 2001. I stayed off cigs until 2007 and some family problems made me start back. My daughter was 6 at the time and she has been wanting me to quit for a long time now and I promised her this year I would quit.....again. I really wasn't sure I could do it but my mom in law, who lives with us, recently quit smoking using the Tsunami and I figured if she could do it then I could. She is 70 y.o. and has been smoking most of her life and she has now been off cigs and vaping for about 2 months now. I am very proud of her.
Now that I am vaping I will never go back to cigs. I already feel better and my taste and smell have returned also.
Thanks for all the help!
One last question: do any of you have a particular brand of e-juice you like or know of a reputable site to order from?

~Susiejo

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
ALot of people seem to Like Mt Baker though I have never used them. I was still in the process of hunting around for my favorite juice when I got bit by the DIY bug. Now I just mix up my own. For me DIY works as it seems I really prefer simple fruit flavors. I have total control of what is in them and how strong they are.

There are a lot of great juice vendors out there. I actually make my own but that is not necessarily beginner level stuff. I like sweet vapes. I vape cheesecake as my all day vape. If you are a fan of sweet stuff I might suggest mstsbakery. It is kinda pricey but she has some great sweet blends. Once again, taste is very subjective. I would suggest no matter where you get your juice from to buy a sampler. Many sites offer this and it is a great way to find what you like without completely emptying the pocket book. There is nothing worst than buying 50 dollars worth of juice because someone said it was the best and then you get it and hate the stuff. Lesson learned here. LOL. If you are looking for a more tobacco flavored ejuice then I can't really help you there. I only do the sweet stuff.

I'm a bit weird, I'm not some much worried about the th. I just like the "smoke". Neither of my parents smoked but some of my aunts and uncles did and as a child I was always intrigued by the smoke. I think that is one reason I started smoking to begin with. So if I can get a good "smoke" I think the rest doesn't matter as much. I still need some nicotine though because I find it helps me with some other problems I have and I really don't want to have to take pharm. meds again if I can help it.

~Susiejo

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Here's an example of the power of a higher PG juice. I began @ 36 mg X 50-60 ml per week (60/ 40 PG/ VG) Now down to 2 mg X 15- 20 ml per week. Because of the low amount of nicotine I wasn't getting any TH. I upped my PG/ VG to 85/ 15 and voila= TH. I know it isn't true TH but more of an irritant but it's working for me.

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States
Here is the link to Mount Baker Vapor. Cheap, fast, and fabulous customer service.

I love the fruit flavors from Highbrow Vapor.

The Plume Room is also good, in my opinion.

Regardless of the one you choose, I highly recommend that you order sample sizes so that you can tell whether you like a flavor. We are all so different. What tastes like nirvana to one of us, tastes like garbage to another.

I just looked up your kit. I don't know how long those tanks are good for. It doesn't say if it is a cartomizer or atomizer tank. This info could help. Atomizer's last a little longer than cartomizers but eventually will have to be replaced. I get about a week out of my cartomizer. If your tank needs replacement, that could have something to do with the throat problems. Did it hurt your throat since the beginning or did this start recently?

I'm not sure what the difference is between the two but I've been using the same one for 2 weeks and my mom in law has 2 tanks that she switches between and she has been using them for the full 2 months that she's been vaping, so apparently they last pretty long. All I can tell you for sure is that they are refillable and that they have 2 wicks that go down into the metal center. Also you have to hold down a button when you puff on it otherwise the battery doesn't come on.
It just calls it a tank in the pamplet that came with it. I may try one of the others I've heard mentioned on here at some point but for now I do like this one. And yes it has always felt a little rough to me even since it was new. The first time I took a hit on it I coughed just like the first time I took a hit off a cig. But it did smooth out after a few hits. Just figured it was just having to get used to it being vapor as opposed to smoke.

~Susiejo

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
SOunds like some variant of the clearomizer. THose long strings are the wicks. When you first fill up with juice it takes a little while for the liquid to saturate the wicks and reach the coil(heating element). If you tried to vape it too quick you would most definitely get a burnt harsh choking hit on one. :)

Also it is the VG that gives the big plumes of vapor. SO A higher VG percentage = more vapor.

I assure you that it will need to be replaced at some point. It may still work after 2 months but all atomizer/cartomizers wear down. Keep this in mind. The quality of the vape will decrease. This happens fairly slowly so you won't notice it but try a fresh one right after taking a vape off of the used one and you will tell the difference right away. I don't use the clearomizer/ce4 style tanks so maybe someone who has more knowledge on it can chime in and help out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread