Hi. New Coilhead = Dry taste / Scratchy throat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nugger

Oct 2, 2018
Hey Guys IM happy i found this forum during my search for my problem and i deicided to ask u guys maybe someone experienced this before. Thx for any further answer/info.
1st. My setup : Smok X-priv mod / Smok tfv12 prince tank
My juice:atm 60/40 (vg/pg) , 0.2mg nic, fruity/dessert flavours also.

2nd.My Problem: Yesterday i changed a coilhead from V12 Q-4 0.41 ohm 60-80w(i love it, working perfect, nice cloud awesome flavour) to V12 M-4 0.17 ohm 40-60w. I primed it , let is soak , started up slow, all u need to avoid burn/dry hit. I use same juice as with the Q4 before with no problem.
I tried Kiwi (no flavour at all , low vapour production, scratching my throat after a few hit)
Since kiwi was never my most tastiest juice i thought mapbe it went bad , so i cleared it out and switched to Dho-Nut(1 of the strongest flavour i have) still no taste, feels like the vapour dry and also scratching my throat. At this point im about tho throw this coilhead away and put in an other Q4 cuz i feel frustrated. No taste Low vapour Scratchy throat feel . This is my problem hope some of u can help me out so i dont needto waste this coilhead. Thx for any answer.

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
If you have another M4, take your current one out (don't throw away yet), insert the next, see if it vapes the same. If it does - hard luck, never order it again. If it doesn't, you had a bad coil.

(IF you're a DIY guy, you could rewick that coil. Unplug the bottom insulation, take the coil/cotton out, replace them...)

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Vendor coils sometimes require a long soak for the juice to penetrate evenly. I haven't used one in a long time, but for the ones that come with a silicone cover (we called them condoms), I'd fill the rubber cover with juice and slowly push the coil down into it. The juice would rise up inside the coil head and slowly soak into the cotton. Let it sit for a while until the juice soaks into the cotton and then vape. With some coils I'd have to add a little more to completely saturate. It's a trial and error process, but once you figure out how much it takes it's easy. Letting it sit in a juice bath is a sure way to saturate the wicking with juice. Wipe it off afterwards and install.

Here's a video by Element Vape that looks informative.

Last edited:

Nugger

Oct 2, 2018
Thx for tha fast reply guys . Tailland: this is my only M4 coil ordered it just to try it whats the difference since i got like 3 more Q4 maybe ill just change it and experiment with it later but now im at dat point when i just want good flavour xD i rarely pick it up in this 2 day since this problem ,but when i got the Q4 i was rarely abple to turn it off since it was like eating the exact thing whats the flavour of the juice.
DaveP : ill try out your silicone ring trick and give it a bigger soak ,nextime when i try to use this M4 for sure . Its really strange and never experienced this before with this tank even when tried the T10/T10 red light coil.

Reactions: stols001

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Thx for tha fast reply guys . Tailland: this is my only M4 coil ordered it just to try it whats the difference since i got like 3 more Q4 maybe ill just change it and experiment with it later but now im at dat point when i just want good flavour xD i rarely pick it up in this 2 day since this problem ,but when i got the Q4 i was rarely abple to turn it off since it was like eating the exact thing whats the flavour of the juice.
DaveP : ill try out your silicone ring trick and give it a bigger soak ,nextime when i try to use this M4 for sure . Its really strange and never experienced this before with this tank even when tried the T10/T10 red light coil.

I'm not familiar with the coils you are using. I've used rebuildable atomizers for years. The last factory coils I used were for the Joye eGo! Anything you can put them in that contains the juice will work for thoroughly wetting the cotton. Apparently, newer coils are easier to saturate and are better than the old ones we used to use.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Sounds like a bad coil to me, either that or just bad "for you." Some coils I just plain don't like as much as other resistance coils, be it the wattage needed, coil life, etc. It also (I was kind of scratching my head on the dry scratchy throat) sounds like it may not be wicking well and you might be getting low grade sort of semi dry hits that are irritating your throat. The solution to that is really good coil priming which has been explained. The other thing you might try is perhaps poking the cotton judiciously in a few places with a needle this can accelerate wicking in certain coils (often smok coils) where the wicking material is packed just a smidge too tightly.

Good luck, I guess the good news is that you have other coils in that tank series that you do enjoy, so even if you never figure it out, well you know it can produce a vape that you DO enjoy. etc.

Anna

Nugger

Oct 2, 2018
Sounds like a bad coil to me, either that or just bad "for you." Some coils I just plain don't like as much as other resistance coils, be it the wattage needed, coil life, etc. It also (I was kind of scratching my head on the dry scratchy throat) sounds like it may not be wicking well and you might be getting low grade sort of semi dry hits that are irritating your throat. The solution to that is really good coil priming which has been explained. The other thing you might try is perhaps poking the cotton judiciously in a few places with a needle this can accelerate wicking in certain coils (often smok coils) where the wicking material is packed just a smidge too tightly.

Good luck, I guess the good news is that you have other coils in that tank series that you do enjoy, so even if you never figure it out, well you know it can produce a vape that you DO enjoy. etc.

Anna
Thx for the answer . 1 more thing with the semi dry hit/scratchy throat thing i always poke my wick with a needle before priming ,but this time when i poked it the needle hit immediatly a hard thing like a wall or smth(sounds crazy) normaly i can kinda poke trought the wick if i wanto. I can hit the coil with the needle so i tried on different spots theres 12 holes whre the joice can get in touch with the wick, and each hole contain enuf space to poke it on like 10 different spots. Every time i hit the "wall" , the needle barelly get into the wick. Q4 coils never do this eventho it have double quadruplecoils and the M4 only have a singe quadruple (so should be less chance to poke esactly into the coil.

• Useful

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
1 more thing with the semi dry hit/scratchy throat thing i always poke my wick with a needle before priming ,but this time when i poked it the needle hit immediatly a hard thing like a wall or smth(sounds crazy) normaly i can kinda poke trought the wick if i wanto. I can hit the coil with the needle so i tried on different spots theres 12 holes whre the joice can get in touch with the wick, and each hole contain enuf space to poke it on like 10 different spots. Every time i hit the "wall" , the needle barelly get into the wick. Q4 coils never do this eventho it have double quadruplecoils and the M4 only have a singe quadruple (so should be less chance to poke esactly into the coil.
Welcome and glad you joined.
You have a Smok product which just happens not to function, not too unusual.
re:
SMOK --->SMOKTech
Phone: (704) 696-8900.
Support: SMOK® Innovation keeps changing the vaping experience!
email: support@smoktech.com
ECF Smok dealer: VapeSourcing Vapesourcing
Vape Shop Online E-Cigarette & E-liquid Best For Sale
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/members/verashu.262193/#profile-post-71627
SMOK QBOX

Nugger

Oct 2, 2018
Thx for u guys for all the answer. yesterday evening i took the tank apart and poked it with needle but also injecting liquid into the wick at the same time looks like it solved the problem. The flavour still not the best but it can b the difference between coils so i dont blame it. The problem was i think the coil sit too long time after manufacturing, and the wick hardened and it was way harder to rehydrate then it should.

• Optimistic

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm glad you solved your problem. Unless this was a previously used coil where you just removed it, I'm not entirely sur about the "hardening" thing, although perhaps it is constructed differently to other coils you've used with respect to where the cotton is, and how tightly packed the cotton is, which would cause that problem. I guess it could have been a manufacturing defect, but IDK, coils are usually in blister packs and unless removed (or even then, although I guess you can buy loose coils some places) I'm not sure the coil "hardened" after manufacture. I've vaped some pretty elderly coils by now (and they don't come with manufacture dates so they could have sat on a shelf somewhere for who knows how long.

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying it's a bit unlikely. But since you solved the problem you should be good to go, regardless of what the issue was so congrats.

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: Nugger

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I don't use those coils so i'm not an expert but it doesn't pass the smell test:

V12 Q-4 0.41 ohm 60-80w
V12 M-4 0.17 ohm 40-60w

A coil that is less than half the resistance shouldn't have 20W less suggested.

This might be the reason for weak flavour.

Can’t comment on Smok’s implementation, but multiple coils within a coil head can be configured in Series/Parallel to bring its resistance up which given the extra mass will require more power.

@Nugger – there is no guarantee that any given coil will provide the same flavour as another. I have many that do not stack up to their counterparts – some even from the same make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread