Hi new guy here, got a bunch of questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex11110

Dec 11, 2019
Yeah, I'm not a dripper, hate it but I love my squonks

I looked around for a good sqounk mod and found the "Dovpo Topside dual squonk box mod", searched these forums for it, and saw you had made a thread on the "topside dual carbon" back in may. Something about firmware update, and a "TC problem" with "the original".
So to not necro a months old thread I'll ask here, what's that about? Is there a huge difference between the carbon version and this version? Is the older one worth getting, it is super expensive at £70 over at ecigwarehouse. And I am kinda apprehensive on getting a £70 mod with a single bottle costing £13. Are these bottles durable enough to warrant such a high price point? I don't want to constantly order replacements at this price.

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
For the record I don't use mesh because I only use typical handbuilt, so-called 'advanced' (mostly dual coil, but not always) builds that are made with various spools of premium quality Nichrome 80 wire. I'm a high wattage flavor chaser some claim doesn't exist, also I'm a mech guy, and, I like to try all kinds of stuff despite pretty much every single time I go right back to dripping on an RDA immediately after having tried something else, bar only two exceptions that I still use occasionally: the Reload RTA and the Isolation RTA.

From what I can tell, mesh has two major disadvantages. First off, it only works well if you're doing TC so it requires a mod that does TC well, which makes it generally more expensive. Secondly, flavor wise, it still can't perform anywhere close to, say, the Dang RDA with a pair of 28/36 Ni80 aliens 7 wraps 3mm ID dual coil at .2 ohms using Cotton Bacon 2.0 wicks around 100 watts on, say, the Vaporesso GEN Mod with a pair of Molicel P26A or Sony VTC5A batteries in it. Now, obviously there will always be those people who disagree with me on this. But the vast majority of those people are people who never actually even tried vaping on a pair of handbuilt aliens in an RDA. It's ironically as simple as that, and part of the reason why I don't waste my time listening to YouTubers' opinions. If everyone experimented with stuff equally as much as the amount of time spent on just talk about stuff, then we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Alex11110

Dec 11, 2019
Well dripster, I can only talk for myself and being a student I don't have a whole lot of money to buy that mod or that RDA or this RTA, or even that, or this or that other wire or the extremely price inflated "vape cotton".

I have 1 mod, 1 RTA and 1 RDA. That's what I got. I buy organic ... cotton sheets and I have a spool of premade "0.3*0.8+32ga" (whatever these numbers mean I don't know) kanthal alien wire that I make coils with. And that's what I am using. You say you're using "nichrome 80", what difference does this make?

Why does mesh "require" TC and why does it matter what "power type" you use?
From what I've read and heard using mesh on a regular wattage mod seems to produce excellent results compared to coils.

When I do buy things it has to last a long while because to me it is a replacement, not a second, third or 4th product in a collection so to speak. If I am spending money on something new it has to be better, not shall I say "different" than what I have. Then there would be no point in buying something else.

Reactions: Blitzdonlife

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I looked around for a good sqounk mod and found the "Dovpo Topside dual squonk box mod", searched these forums for it, and saw you had made a thread on the "topside dual carbon" back in may. Something about firmware update, and a "TC problem" with "the original".
So to not necro a months old thread I'll ask here, what's that about? Is there a huge difference between the carbon version and this version? Is the older one worth getting, it is super expensive at £70 over at ecigwarehouse. And I am kinda apprehensive on getting a £70 mod with a single bottle costing £13. Are these bottles durable enough to warrant such a high price point? I don't want to constantly order replacements at this price.
Just a warning:
Ecigwarehouse is a drop shipper.
They DO NOT ship from the UK/EU, they ship from china.(Approx 2 to 3 weeks shipping)
IMO, choose a trustworthy, UK based vendor or buy directly from China.

Cheers
I

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Thank you! I had no idea since their website end with .co.uk so I thought they shipped from there.
They are very unpopular on UK based forums specifically because they do not disclose that products are shipped from china. Another complaint is the horrible, broken English, "customer Support".
Caveat emptor.

Forewarned is Forearmed
Cheers
I

• Informative
Reactions: Alex11110

Marper

Moved On
May 20, 2019
The carbon single and dual topside has a much better chipset than the original topside dual and can handle tc whereas the original has a cheaper chipset and does not do tc very well at all, now about mesh requiring tc mode,I use power mode in all my mods and I'm using the profile rda with ss316 mesh on my mech pulse squonk and it's performing really good,but some vapers find mesh in power mode rather harsh but I've not had any problems with my mesh builds,I did at first but I'd used an orf strip at .13 ohm on my pulse and it was not a good experience but using the higher resistance strip works top

Last edited:

Marper

Moved On
May 20, 2019
I've got to say that the profile mesh rda is now my number one tank, easy to build, orf mesh strips last ages, fair enough, it does use a lot of cotton but lasts longer than conventional coil builds, I'm finished with buying anything else but I will get another profile rda, now this is only my opinion, lots of good replies especially about alien coils, I love em in my reload or dead rabbit

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
Well dripster, I can only talk for myself and being a student I don't have a whole lot of money to buy that mod or that RDA or this RTA, or even that, or this or that other wire or the extremely price inflated "vape cotton".
I wasn't trying to talk you into spending a whole lot of money. The Dang RDA is an example of a quality RDA that performs well, is easy to build on, should last a very long time, and can be had for a reasonable price. (I can get it for 70 Euros at my local vape shop here in Belgium right now.)
In fact the little user manual that comes with this RDA is making a nice joke about this typical "whole lof of money" knee-jerk reaction thing, as you can see if you navigate to 1:00 in the YouTube review by Mike Vapes:

(Mike Vapes is among the very few people whose video reviews I can bear to watch from time to time, because he isn't a scammer─very unlike Rip Trippers.)

The same thing goes for the Vaporesso GEN Mod, it too is reasonably priced and offers both solid performance and durability on top of tangible ergonomics factors.

I have 1 mod, 1 RTA and 1 RDA. That's what I got. I buy organic ... cotton sheets and I have a spool of premade "0.3*0.8+32ga" (whatever these numbers mean I don't know) kanthal alien wire that I make coils with. And that's what I am using. You say you're using "nichrome 80", what difference does this make?
Nichrome 80 is much more efficient, both in terms of ramp up time and in terms of cool down time, when compared to Kanthal A1. Nichrome 80 is only subtly more efficient when compared to SS 316L, but IME Nichrome 80 is actually 10-12 times more durable than SS 316L.

Aside from differences in the flavor that either are entirely subjective or are somehow dependent on the user's own personal perceptions and experiences (like, just to name one example: being allergic to nickel), the only real reason to go for SS 316L as opposed to going for Nichrome 80 as far as real vaping is concerned is if you must have TC. So, for me, personally, TC is nothing more than a waste of time, effort, and money. That's it.
Why does mesh "require" TC and why does it matter what "power type" you use?
IME it requires TC to work well. What that means is stable and reliably stable performance in the pure sense of the overall vape experience, mostly to avoid getting something reminiscent of a dry hit or diluted flavor or an off flavor balance and so forth, and to avoid faster gunking up. Like I said even with good TC it still doesn't come close to good aliens, but I'll also add that I'll gladly take mesh over your average factory premade, or "drop in" coil regardless of what tank it fits in, and that a lot also depends on how you choose to define "good aliens". Because, IME rolling a piece off of a spool of premade alien wire around your coil tool or screwdriver is still a far distance away from that definition. (In some corners of the internet, good aliens seem to be somewhat of an endangered species despite they're not that terribly hard or particularly time consuming to make yourself, for very little money... which isn't to say there aren't any other advanced coil types equally worth giving a shot.)
From what I've read and heard using mesh on a regular wattage mod seems to produce excellent results compared to coils
Like I already tried to explain, it all largely depends on one's own personal definition of both "excellent" and "coils" (and on whether this definition came to existence BEFORE or AFTER one had gained much hands-on personal experience with this subject........).
When I do buy things it has to last a long while because to me it is a replacement, not a second, third or 4th product in a collection so to speak. If I am spending money on something new it has to be better, not shall I say "different" than what I have. Then there would be no point in buying something else.
Both the Dang RDA and the Vaporesso GEN Mod fall in that category, albeit any electronics device can─and eventually will─fail. This is one part of the reason why I prefer mech mods. A quality mech essentially eliminates the need to carry a back up mod with you everywhere you go, and, with proper maintenance will last much, MUCH longer than just a few years so, in the long run mechs can in fact be cheaper if you choose one carefully, the vape experience is better IME also, but like with so many things there is still a learning curve involved, BUT... the more you are capable to learn about making your own coils, the more better the vape experience gets, especially with a mech, also IME.

Alex11110

Dec 11, 2019
The carbon single and dual topside has a much better chipset than the original topside dual and can handle tc whereas the original has a cheaper chipset and does not do tc very well at all
Which dual topside has the good chipset and which one has the bad one?
Also to reiterate, do you know how good the quality of the bottles on this thing is?

I've got to say that the profile mesh rda is now my number one tank, easy to build, orf mesh strips last ages, fair enough, it does use a lot of cotton
Yeah the mesh strips seem good, do you know how they compare to the vandy vape spool mesh wire? The strips seem kinda small compared to what can be fit into the cthulhu iris and the vandy vape m rda/rta. Also a bit more expensive than a whole 5ft spool. But I suppose the performance isn't just up to the build but the design of the rda/rta as well. Difficult. But then again. I can't find the cthulhu Iris anywhere so maybe I should just lose it from my options.

I wasn't trying to talk you into spending a whole lot of money.
wait 70 euros for an RDA isn't "a lot" of money to you? That's ridiculously expensive for me.
Just for that pricepoint there's no way I am getting that.

good aliens
mesh over your average factory premade

And how do you define "good aliens"? I am not getting a drill and a bunch of other tools and 5 different kinds of wires to make my own. That's why too much effort to me. I would rather do mesh or premades.
Doesn't look like the dang RDA supports it anyway, and the mod you're recommending isn't a sqounker anyway.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
TC is not a requirement for mesh. That’s not to say one can not utilize TC, it’s just not an absolute to achieve a excellent vape. The Profile RDA was designed with no TC options in mind. All mesh strips that were purposely made for the Profile were Kanthal.

What is critical with mesh is proper wicking. There should be no voids between the wick and the mesh strip. TC can not make up for poor wicking techniques, in fact you’ll just end up with poor performing TC. Wicking a mesh RBA is not difficult – it is no different than a typical coil outside the amount of required wicking, which can have its benefits. I have found wicks with mesh to last significantly longer than a typical coil using the same juice. The wicks hold a lot more juice which also means more time in between saturating. Counted over 25 puffs before flavour starts to diminish thus requiring saturation. Grant it, saturating a mesh wick also requires more juice which means, more dripping or squonking. Play that how you wish.

The success of the Profile RDA is down to developing a spring loaded pressure plate and utilizing a more stiff and robust mesh strip. The pressure plate mitigates any voids between the mesh and wick, and the stiff mesh strip helps keep that form. This implementation has been so successful that practically all mesh designs that have followed have copied it.

Mesh is inherently low in mass – this means instant heat up and cool down giving it a very consistent experience. BUT… it also means it does not scale in heat like a typical coil of much higher mass. If you like hot vapes, choose a coil setup.

There is no one size fits all – and mesh is no exception to that rule. We all have different preferences and our challenge is finding what those are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread