The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Hi, new member with possibly a wierd/dumb question.

Discussion in 'New Members Forum' started by ~<=Squigly, May 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. ~<=Squigly

~<=Squigly New Member

May 18, 2018
    Hi everyone,

I've spent quite a while scouring the internet trying to find out as much as possible about mixing juices and there's one question I've not been able to find has even been asked.
    I'm not looking to try and found out myself unless I have to as I don't have access to enough funds to go testing theories unfortunately.

Does adding concentrates Mid steep change the outcome of the juice?
    I know, sound dumb but bare with me, I have a good reason for asking this.

I'm asking this cause I know that with things like baking, adding 1 ingredient first rather than last can drastically change the outcome of the food, making a biscuit for example go from sugar cookie to sponge biscuit.

Obviously mixing the concentrates in different orders will likely not change the flavour before steeping, but would adding it mid steep make a flavour be more subtle or sit on top of the other flavours, make it more bitter or sweet after the final steep. (Including steep time for new concentrates)

Thank you in advance for your feedback on this. 'tis all appreciated. :)

• Like Like x 3
  2. Asbestos4004

Asbestos4004 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    Maybe?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Letitia

Letitia Therion/Nano Junkie ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Adding any ingredient will change the mix. The only time I split the flavors is if some need a longer steep and another has fade issues. Example: for a lemon cream I mix all the ingredients except the lemon and steep 2 weeks before adding the FA Lemon Sicily.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. ~<=Squigly

~<=Squigly New Member

May 18, 2018
    This was something that I was assuming a lot of veteran Mixers did but two weeks after steeping, does the juice hold the same flavour as if all juices were steeped at the same time? Or does it take longer to reach entropy and have all the flavours plateau at their peak steeping flavour? Or do they permanently hold the difference?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Zaryk

Zaryk Ultra Member Verified Member

Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    That really depends on the flavors used. So my answer is sometimes.

I make some flavor bases, one is a cheesecake base, with it I will make Carmel, butterscotch, peanut butter banana and jelly, or blackberry cheesecake. The Carmel and butterscotch didn't seem to matter it tasted the same right away as it did after a steep, but the peanut butter banana and jelly cheesecake has to steep 24hours after putting those flavors in the cheesecake base, even if the base steeped fully.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    Depends on brand & flavor. FA lemon sicily is pretty much a snv, leave it for a day or two to meld with the creams and you're good to go. FLV papaya punch needs at minimum 4 days to settle imo. You have to know your flavors and if they have a fade point and when the fade kicks in.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Letitia

Supporting member
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    This is why I do 15ml testers for my fruits. That is enough to determine how they will do over the long term in large batch mixes. Many oranges will disappear in a couple of weeks only to come back even better a week or two later. Bad news is you just have to do the tedious homework.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ~<=Squigly

~<=Squigly New Member

May 18, 2018
    Seems like it's going to be a few months of testing I think.
    Will be interesting to see if the flavour of things like orange that disappear and return will react differently if they are added a week in or at the end of a steep.

Thank you all for your in put.

• Like Like x 1
  9. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    The answer's yes sometimes. As Letitia stated, some flavors require less steeping than others, or may fade. At that point, it may be useful to either reserve the flavor that fades faster toward the end.

I wouldn't say, as a general rule, that adding flavors one after another would help the mix steep better, in fact you'd have this moving target of steeping and adding and won't really know what you have/had it just gets awful complicated.

General rules that I have noticed: Don't over sweeten, sweetener can usually be shaken and vaped, so go easy there, as it's a quick fix (vs attempting a dilution). (Some) fruits and berries require little steeping, while others require more. UNLESS the flavor is a fader, though, you don't need to worry about say, steeping strawberry and custard together (custard has a longer steep, but not all fruits fade). So for the most part, steeping and adding flavor down the line may not change much UNLESS you have a flavor that fades.

I started with single flavors, and would combine them in my tank. It gave me a sense (a bit) of what might work well together as well as manufacturer's percentages and how much of a flavor I "wanted" or "needed." In the meantime, you can certainly get some one shot flavorings which are flavors designed to be shaken and vaped. It's an easy way to get going and it can tell you what type of overall percentage you need/enjoy etc. So, it's still useful.

I am of the opinion (personally) that I can "improve" certain one shots. For example I have a lemon rhubarb tart that's awesome... But the lemon fades, so I will either add a little after it steeps, or even as it's fading out as I vape it and etc.

Best of luck, the good news is over time, DIY skills kind of generalize. I know a lot about what I like, although I still test single flavors if the manufacturer or flavor itself is new to me, it's worth the trouble.

Keep good notes!

Anna

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. BrotherBob

BrotherBob Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Welcome and glad you joined.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AzPlumber

AzPlumber Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2011
    Arizona
    Welcome to the forum, a thank you in advance is a bit risky, someone like @Asbestos4004 might see your thread. :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Asbestos4004

Asbestos4004 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 11, 2013
    Sugar Hill, Georgia
    :angel:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.