Hi newbie here

Status
Not open for further replies.

salvageer

Oct 14, 2013
USA
I have tried one of the small cigarette type with replaceable filters a quite a while back. i was not impressed with it at all. I recently learned about the larger liquid refillable versions with variable voltage. I've found lot's of information on the net but nothing regarding good info on taste. I have been smoking for 40 years and have had a 2 pack a day habit for about 30 of those. I prefer regular strength non menthol cigs. I was hoping I could get some advise here as to the flavor closest to pall mall regulars or marlboro, camels etc. so what flavor and where do i get such e liquid ? I'm guessing since i am a chain smoker i need to get e liquid with the strongest nicotine content ? Also some advise on which type or brand of smoking apparatus would be a great help also. I work in front of a computer and have access to a computer at home and have seen some that plug into a usb port, but I also have access to an electrical outlet most all day too. I also have quite a few 18650 batteries i use in other devises. So i am leaning more towards a e-cig that accepts those. I have tried to stop smoking numerous times. I am really hoping this is what I have been looking for.

OlDogNewTricks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Venice, FL
vaping really doesn't taste like smoking. There are tobacco flavors, but they wont taste like burning tobacco, they should taste like unburned tobacco smells.

I started with 18mg/L nicotine and it was fine for me. Used to smoke a pipe heavily and inhale. There are juices that go up to 36mg/L if you need it. It is better to err on the high side for strength, till you get a feel for vaping. The higher the nicotine level, the greater the throat hit, generally.

As for starter gear, a couple of simple, adjustable twist style batteries and a few Kanger EVODs, Protank 2s or the like. Get some extra heads for the tanks. Cheap and good to learn with.

Welcome, good luck and have fun!

Last edited:

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
Welcome to the forum. There are so many devices to choose from, it almost seems overwhelming. You will see me on the forum recommending the ITaste MVP almost exclusively. There are a lot of reasons for this. It is extremely affordable, but performs just like a high dollar device. I'm not sure if you are still looking for a device that is the same size and shape as a cigarette, but if you are, you will need to let that go. If you truly want a satisfying vape, you will need to go strictly for performance. The smaller devices typically just won't offer it. I also recommend the MVP because it has adjustable voltage (a must have in my opinion), as well as unbeatable battery life. You can use it while it charges as well.

As far as juice goes. Almost everyone starts off trying to find a juice that tastes like a cigarette. It does not exist. The good news is, after a short time, you won't want anything that tastes like a cig. I still favor "tobacco" flavored juices, but the truth is, few of them taste like tobacco in any shape or form. There are 'tobacco extract juices' that are flavored with pure tobacco extract. I haven't tried any of them yet because I expect they will gunk up the head of the atomizer.

The 18650 is a popular battery for ecig devices, and you will certainly have no trouble finding one that uses that setup. Sorry, but I don't own any 18650 devices, but I'm sure someone will show up to recommend one.

Oh yeah one more tip, check out youtube for device and juice reviews. You wouldn't believe how many videos there are.

Last edited:
I agree with StarsAndBars, you start with something "close" to a tobacco taste, Domestic from Johnson Creek for example, but you'll soon dump the tobacco flavor for other things. I like Boba's Bounty (100% - thick stuff), but it can clog some devices. Taste is subjective and that's really a trial and error approach really.

I smoked Marlboro Reds for over 30 years and Tennessee Cured and Domestic were my first e-liquids. That lasted about a month or 2 and then I was off to discover other flavors. Find a couple vapor shops in the area and they have sample tanks to try different flavors.

I've been vaping since Feb this year and not only has my taste changed, but I don't wake up coughing. My wife says I sleep more restful.

Whatever it takes to stay off the analogs! Congrats and good luck as I'm sure all of us are pulling for you to get off the analogs. As a side note I've found tasteyourjuice.com and grimmgreen.com very helpful when comes to recommendations for hardware as well as a place to start with the juices. My experience has been don't always believe the names of juices are what it taste like. Ecto Plasma from Juicey Vapor taste like 7-Up to me, which is one of my all day vapes.

deceptikon

Oct 10, 2013
Georgia, USA
I prefer regular strength non menthol cigs. I was hoping I could get some advise here as to the flavor closest to pall mall regulars or marlboro, camels etc. so what flavor and where do i get such e liquid ?
This is a personal opinion, and I'd recommend you do a trial size of juice, but VG based juices don't fly if I want good flavor. It seems to be that PG transfers flavor better, and VG tastes oily (for lack of a better word) regardless of the flavor.

vaper62

Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Texas, United States
As far as tobacco flavors go, your personal taste is what is going to matter most. But you have gotten some good advice already! You asked about PV's, That depends greatly upon what you're willing to spend. I'd start out with something like an Ego C-Twist. It's fairly inexpensive and is VV so you'll have a little flexibility in tanks (IMHO). I'm pleased with mine so far, but now I can't wait for my Provari to get here! Best Wishes and Happy Vaping!! :vapor:

VegasDealer

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2013
Las Vegas
I started vaping about 5 weeks ago (after smoking analogs for over 40 years) and haven't touched a cigarette since (nor even craved one). I started with a Joyetech Ego C Upgrade battery and a small bcc tank

Now I have over 75 flavorings and have started mixing my own juice (I don't do anything half-assed)

I am also now using a Joyetech Evic that is awesome! People talk about adjusting the voltage for taste, and yes that helps. But the REAL adjustment is the wattage (gives an even more precise adjustment than voltage). On the eVic both are adjustable in .1 increments. Also the unit is a passthrough (can use it while it is charging). It also connects to my computer for firmware upgrades and you can also use the MVP software to track your vaping habits on the unit. It also comfortably uses both eGo and 510 threaded tanks (I am using a ProTank)

Looking forward to using this forum!

VegasDealer

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2013
Las Vegas
As for tobacco flavor, I was the same way, wanted something similar. I no longer want that, but still use some like RY4's and 555's from Mount Baker Vapor, but normally add a twist to them when using them by adding a non-tobacco flavor. I can vape all day long without the longing for a tobacco flavor.

My hardest part is that my wife has joined me in this adventure and she was a menthol smoker and is still trying to replicate her menthol cigarettes (impossible so far). Eventually I think she will see the light once I load her up some Bavarian Crème with an orange twist ;)

gandy2000

Oct 14, 2013
forest city
all sound advice above. i will say this when i started vaping i went strait to a light fruity taste and completly away from any tobacco tastes and havent missed it a bit.
on another note i smoked 1 and ahalf packs marlboro reds for 34 years and i found even 24mg/ml was way to much nic for me (i vape as hard as i smoked lol) im acualy going to start making my own juice at 12-10 mg maybe even 6, so yes try small samples till you find out what suites you best

meanckz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
Greer, SC
www.facebook.com
As for tobacco flavor, I was the same way, wanted something similar. I no longer want that, but still use some like RY4's and 555's from Mount Baker Vapor, but normally add a twist to them when using them by adding a non-tobacco flavor. I can vape all day long without the longing for a tobacco flavor.

My hardest part is that my wife has joined me in this adventure and she was a menthol smoker and is still trying to replicate her menthol cigarettes (impossible so far). Eventually I think she will see the light once I load her up some Bavarian Crème with an orange twist ;)

funny thing is I never wanted a menthol analog, but I do enjoy vaping clean crisp menthol juice on occasion.

salvageer

Oct 14, 2013
USA
Thanks for all the advise. I ordered a Joyetech Evic. It was more than i had intended to spend at the start but I decided I should get a good devise with the idea the better the devise the more apt I am to enjoy vaping and increasing my chances of quitting the analogs. Lol I had never heard the term analog in reference to cigarettes until I came to this forum. At first I was scratching my head wondering what an analog was, then it hit me, I had a good laugh. I will explore a couple of smoke shops soon and see if I can sample some of their juice before ordering any large quantities off the net. If I understand correctly the kit i ordered does not have the atomizer ? I hope i used the correct term. Any advise on that ? Are there big differences between them ? Should I buy an atomizer local first ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread