Hi :) newbie needs advice for gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanFromIran

Verified Member
Oct 13, 2012
Ontario,Canada
Good day folks,
I hope you are doing well. My name is Dan I am 21 years old. I am a pipe smoker but I don't like to smoke inside the house. when it gets cold (like now) I don't smoke pipe tobacco anymore because I don't want to wait outside in the cold.
here was my dillema: I like to smoke in the comfort of the house but I don't want the house (and everything in it) to smell.
I was entertained by the idea of the electronic smoking devices and I thought I would give it a try.

I bought an e cigar from local tobacconist it is called HDsmoke corona disposable e cigar. I somewhat like it. not as much as the real pipe smoking of course, but it is good enough to give me the illusion of puffing and smoking when it is cold out.

now I want to purchase a non-disposable good quality e cigar but I don't know which one is good. I would rather avoid the e cigarette because I have never smoked a cigarette in my life and no offence but I don't like cigarettes at all.

what I liked about the ecigar:
1-looks similar to real cigar
2-the tip lights up as I puff
3-the smoke looks realistic
4-the puffing feedback is semi realistic

what I did not like:
1-the taste is underwhelming, tastes like candy not smoke
2-I have to draw for a much longer time on it to get similar vapor effect than I would get with a short puff on real cigar
3-generally not a lot of vapor in any case.

I don't inhale from the e cigar. I draw the smoke in my mouth and blow out/retrohale through mouth and nose.
I am looking for a cigar that is very well made (lasts me a long time), makes a lot of vapor and does not have mess/inconsistency.
budget is not main issue I would rather pay more money one time rather than have to deal with malfunctioning device constantly.

Thank you very much
Best regards
Dan

eagarcia123

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2012
los angeles ca
e cigs and real cigs have nothing in common. you wont get the same feel and taste in an e cig as you would in a cigarette. you should get an ego c kit which you can find in pretty much any e cig online store. as for liquids, you should check out halo and vaperite. theyve got a good selection of tobacco liquids since youre into cigars and pipe tobacco

haiqu

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2012
Bundarra NSW
Hi Dan,

There's very good thread about natural tobacco flavors here:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-e-liquid-discussion/274904-natural-tobaccos.html

As a former pipe smoker myself I appreciate that you'll be harder to please than most. Expect to be deluged with hardware recommendations, and also expect to throw away the first two or three units you buy. It's a learning curve we all have to go through. :)

BTW there are e-pipes around if you prefer that feel to a cigar/cigarette format.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What eagarcia said I agree with to point. E-cigs, or APV's (advanced personal vaporizers) as I will continue to refer them as, have little in common with real cigs or any burning tobacco, for that matter. Nothing can reproduce that "flavor" or sensation. If you aren't willing to bend a little in your expectations, you are bound to be disappointed.

There are pipe APV's. Here's one link that I found: Hand-Crafted ePipes, custom made personal vaping devices from ePipeMods.com ...more than just an eCig
I've seen some wonderful pictures displayed of pipemods in this thread here on ECF: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/225727-pictures-your-setup-695.html

I can't say if one of these is for you. One might come close to what you are looking for as far as vapor and come close to flavor if you could find the right e-liquid to use with it.

I would do a search here and google for pipe mods and see what you can find. Good luck!

DanFromIran

Verified Member
Oct 13, 2012
Ontario,Canada
Thank you for the responses.
I am not expecting to get the same flavour out of the vaporizer, but as the tobacconist warned me this e cigar did taste like plastic and candy :)
I liked it however the sensation of puffing and blowing out vapor is half the battle. I will continue to give myself the treat of real tobacco when I get a chance but I do want to fill in the gap with e cigar. the idea of epipe is nice but I am a bit of a pipe snob and I am particular about briar pipes I just can't accept to puff on a fake one, its a mental thing.

I saw 2 electronic cigars on epuffer website. wanted to buy that but I thought I would ask knowledgeable people first if they know a better made one.
thank you very much for answering
Dan

Los Marauder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Iowa City
Welcome. I smoked Macanudo, Fuente's, Cohiba, and other high end cigars for years. Your only GREAT choice is the Echo650mah. It is an automatic big bat, or in other words, an e cig about the size of a cigar, with almost all day length, no button to look for-just inhale, and it is light enough to dangle out of your mouth like a cigar. No, and I repeat, no cigar looking e gig works for crap. It pains me to say it. The good news to this whole thing for you as a pipe smoker is that there is a product call a Kuwako, which slips on the end of an Echo or Ego and replicates the pipe bowl for around $15.00. I have one and it is perfect. Check out "The eGo-Echo-Kuwako Thread" here at ECF. Also "The Echo Thread" and "The Echo Thread-Part2" Will help you. The Kuwako one has great references to excellent pipe type juices also. Good luck, and PM me any questions. Good luck.:toast:

Los Marauder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Iowa City
Don't worry about it. Just ask me here. I will get back to you. I will be happy to help anyway I can. I am not a techy, but have learned a lot about auto e cigs. Save yourself the head ache and time, and ask away. If I don't know, I will let you know. Bad info is worse than non. I will check this page daily. Talk to you soon. :)

DanFromIran

Verified Member
Oct 13, 2012
Ontario,Canada
Thank you very much :)
over the weekend I read and viewed a lot of material about electronic smoking equipment and I learned a few things.
I also opened up and dissected the disposable cigar to learn a little bit. it has a 3v battery and a dual coil cartomizer.

I no longer care about what the vaporizer looks like as long as it produces a lot of vapor and it is reliable. I found out about the "mods" and I thought I wanted a Golden Greek one becasue it looks robust and well made and I just need to buy batteries, cartomizer and eliquid. however I could not find a vendor that carried them.

I find the idea of twisting 510 batteries entertaining but I am not sure how good the little batteries are and how often I will need to replace them. if you know a good setup for me please let me know. I want the 510 dual coil cartomizer because I saw on a video review that the reviewer was taking short puffs from GGTS (3.7 volts) and it made good amount of vapor.

I like to take shorter open draw puff like on a pipe, I dont like to take looong drags with tight draw to make a decent vapor (the e-cigar was the latter).

please guide me to right direction.

Thanks
Dan

Los Marauder

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Iowa City
You are definately going to want a variable voltage, or vv mod. The Ego, Echos, V Go ect. are all going to require long drawn out puffs, so stay way clear of those. The vv mods alow you to burn juice so fast and intense, you will get that quick mouth full of vapor. They do use juice fast though. My recomemdation is to simlpy post and ask darn near what you just wrote. There are so many REAL experts here that my info on vv is realy just to small to be fair to you. My advise is listen to people with the most posts under there name. Newer people mean well, but get so excited over every new thing, but those here that have been around a while realy give great advise. Good luck, wish I could have been more help, but I am truely happy you have found your direction. This is going to save you a lot of time and money. Good luck and I look forward to seeing you around.:toast:

DanFromIran

Verified Member
Oct 13, 2012
Ontario,Canada
Thank you my friend.
I did think about going to the "ask a veteran" subforum and ask a question but I thought I would first gain some basic first hand experience.

I purchased the following products today:
Battery
Cartomizer
eLiquid

I will gain some first hand experience and then I will go ask for help based on what I like and dislike about this. right now I have only vaped on a disposable cigar I don't really know what to even ask for.

I noticed with the e cigar that I vape MUCH more than smoke because it is convenient, clean and guilt free.

Hopefully the shipment will arrive soon and I will see what to do from there.

Best regards
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread