Hi, newbie to forum with newbie questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZ_Jeep

Jan 3, 2019
Hi,
I'm new to forum and live near Phoenix AZ.
My wife and I have been vaping for a few months to quit smokes, decided to take the plunge in DIY ejuice for 2 reasons, to customize flavors and nic levels and to save a bit of cash in the long run, short run not so much.

I've already ordered nicotine, pg and vg from Liquid Barn (came today) and flavors from Bull City. Have some smaller bottles to break up the nic to put in freezer, wanted to boil the bottles to make sure they are clean before dividing up the nic and my Phoenix water has turned them all white so I guess I'll have to use distilled.

Here's my questions, I've searched and haven't found exactly my questions.

After emptying my glass bottles of nicotine (100mg PG), I'll boil the glass to clean but I've been reading that 100mg nic is basically poison, will the pot used be forever delegated to cleaning nic bottles or will a simple hand washing a few times be OK and make it ready for regular usage?

What about the caps (phenolic cone caps)? I'm guessing those can't be boiled but idk. What about soaking in almost boiling water?

I planned on breaking down the nicotine but didn't plan on separating the VG or PG. Bought a liter of PG and a gallon of VG. The PG came in 2-500ml bottles and the gallon in a single jug both are opaque plastic. Is it OK to leave in the original bottles, kept is a cool dry dark place or does it need to be broke down into glass jars too?

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
There is no need to break down the vg or pg into smaller bottles for storage , cool dark space is fine. The nicotine will not poison your pot, simply wash as you normally would. I just rinse my bottles under a hot tap and air dry. You are overdoing it a bit imo.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
A lot of my mixing gear is also baking gear-- think, funnels. You can wash it how you usually do.

I think you may be confusing your nic strengths "100 mg/ml or 10% nic," is not "basically poison" like some of the higher strengths of nic. You really should be fine.

Even if you were using "basically poison" well, not that much stuff leeches into glass, so my guess is you could wash it after a scene from "Arsenic and old lace"(I forget how that story goes but it seems apt) and as long as you washed them at a high enough temp and for long enough, you should be fine.

But, what you are using is not "basically poison" in the strictest sense. It might work on ants or something but you would have to work pretty hard and try a LOT to poison yourself, honestly. Like, maybe take a bath in it (which I do not recommend).

Anna

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Thanks to everyone who answered!
stols001,
I will refrain from using the P word from now on :)
Welcome and glad you joined.
A word about DIY, for the first six months of vaping, most folks are getting their vaping legs (finding the best set up for them and getting to know the type of flavors and mixes they enjoy most), might want to wait the 6 months or so until you feel you are ready.
If your vape equipment is fairly stable and you have known/predictable responses to several e-liquids flavors with this equipment, your chances of DIY mixing success will be greater. DIY tends to work best and reward those who wait patiently and read everything before they attempt full DIY. If you decide to go ahead and DIY, I found it best to start simple by using one shot flavors that have a greater chance of appealing to my taste buds, you just add the nicotine to the one shots. Very few (for me, 3-5 singles out of one hundred) single flavors are vapable on an all day basis (ADV). Don't give up or be discourage,for me, DIY is the most challenging aspect of vaping.
Might like to visit:
DIYorDIE Concentrates
https://www.liquidbarn.com/products/flavor-cartridge
One Shot Concentrates
Flavors - Gremlin - Gremlin DIY --- Known as "Gremlin DIY" = one shot?

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Have some smaller bottles to break up the nic to put in freezer, wanted to boil the bottles

Just wash them in hot soapy water (use regular dishwater detergent) and rinse well. You don't need to boil anything. Besides, PG and VG have antiviral and antibacterial properties. Dividing your nicotine base into smaller bottles is a good ides. I buy my nicotine from Nude Nicotine-- 250 ml long-storage amber glasses. I pay more, but it's so convenient in the long run. I don't have to rebottle anything and those small bottles are easy to work with.

What about the caps (phenolic cone caps)?

Same thing. Just wash them well and air dry.

100mg nic is basically poison

The dose makes the poison. 100mg/ml nicotine is 10% nicotine. It can make you sick (if used undiluted, if it gets on your skin and you don't wash if off ASAP, etc.), so be careful when you handle it.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Bought a liter of PG and a gallon of VG. The PG came in 2-500ml bottles and the gallon in a single jug both are opaque plastic. Is it OK to leave in the original bottles, kept is a cool dry dark place or does it need to be broke down into glass jars too?

Yes, Store in a dark cool place. It will last for a very long time. If you prefer, you may rebottle into smaller amber glass bottles--to protect them from light, possible leaching, and for convenience. That's what I do.

Oh, and label everything--what's in the bottle, strength, date.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread