Hi there! I love smoking and I'll probably never quit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
...that's what I said several years ago to my loved ones who periodically would ask if I would ever quit. And up until a few weeks ago, I was sure that I would likely end up as one of those elderly folks dragging an oxygen tank behind me and still wanting to light up, hacking away as I go. I figured it's the price I would pay for doing something I really love.

Well, that all changed just a few weeks ago when I decided to try a Blu disposable from the gas station, just to see what it was like. I bought that and 3 packs of smokes. Kind of liked it but not enough to drop the analogs.

A couple of weeks later, I came down with a severe flu, and remembering back to a previous bout of the flu which ended up causing me to need an inhaler (bronchitis and asthma at the same time) just to breathe, I decided I would check into this e-cig thing a little more. Heck, if it kept me from ending up with COPD or worse and I could still "smoke", I figured it would be a good deal.

So last Friday, after lurking on this forum for a few weeks and trying to decide which "permanent" vaping apparatus I should get, I located a local kiosk which sells the e-Roll and picked up a starter pack, with two juices, one 18mg and one 24mg. My mom, who had told me a few years ago that if I ever wanted to quit she'd help in any way, agreed to cover the cost since money's been pretty tight for me lately.

I just wanted to say hello and thank you to everyone on this forum for helping me navigate the e-cig maze, and I'm sure I'll be learning a bunch more since I've just started this.

BUT---and this is huge---I have been a pack a day smoker for almost 30 years. I started when I was 13 and got to a pack a day by the time I was 18. Camel Filters, which aren't your garden-variety girlie smokes, were my brand of choice. The thought of quitting never entered my mind, and I even still can't really believe that since I bought my e-Roll, I have not wanted to pick up a cigarette. I thought I would try a couple on Saturday, and both times I was like, "meh". So it looks like I'm an un-intentional quitter--and I am absolutely AMAZED!:thumbs:

I love vaping as much if not more than smoking and I hope that this is just the beginning.

Thank you e-cig Forum!

jazon1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2012
Phoenix,AZ
congrats!! i was a pack and a half a day smoker of camels too for 25 years.
i started to vape soon after sitting next to some lady one day at the mall who had a hole in her throat with a plastic ring that kept it open that she had to keep plugging with her finger to inhale from her cigaret,she explained she had got throat cancer from smoking some years back and that she should probably quit but said the damage had already been done...

so i sat there watching her take drags off her cigarette finger in the hole in her throat brown liquid tar dripping out of the hole in her neck
thinking there was no way in hell i was going to let that happen to me! got home that night and after searching around the net for ways to quit i fell upon ecigs and ordered my first one.a few days later it arrived and haven't smoked since been a little over three years.
and as horrible as i felt for that lady i am thankful i saw her...changed my life.

nahoku

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
I started smoking at 13 also. So for me, that makes it 48 years. I attempted to quit smoking for a lot of those years but honestly, I enjoyed smoking. I enjoyed it even more when I started rolling my own as the tobacco was waaaaayyyy better, and waaaaayyyy cheaper... about $1.36 per pack (2013) all things considered. What I didn't enjoy was waking up needing to have a smoke, having a hard time breathing, basically breathing hard just climbing up stairs, or running out of breath just having a conversation. I knew for a long time I needed to quit, so I finally moved to vaping. It it weren't for vaping, I would still be smoking! Good luck to you on this venture! I wish you success too!

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
Thanks everyone for the good wishes!

It's really nice to see how many people have the same issues in common. I was surprised to see how many older people are here, and it's nice to see. At the kiosk I was at, there were two other customers and the girl who worked there. I was the oldest one there, and the only "normal" looking person. One guy was kind of an alternative rock guy in his twenties with ear plugs and piercings, and a goth girl who was vaping like crazy and acting all aloof while she shopped. I'm sure she kind of liked the sideways looks she was getting--sort of reminded me of myself when I was her age, LOL. I've mellowed out and am just a suburban 9-5'er.

Jazon, that broke my heart reading about that lady. I've seen similar things over the years, and would think to myself, "I hope that isn't me someday" and then just ignore that it could happen and move on with my life. That really could be me now and getting older I guess has made it a bit more of a reality. The breathing issues I've been having the last 5 years or so have just gotten to be enough.

I'm so glad that there's a better alternative for those of us who are too stubborn (or addicted) to listen to the warning signs.

jazon1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2012
Phoenix,AZ
just wait alisa in about 6 months or so you will be walking in the mall or climbing stairs and it will hit you...i can breathe!
i was the same way i got short of breath very easy just going up stairs or carrying something heavy across the house then one day i realized that was no longer happening.
just watch your diet tho! after a few months food will taste amazing as your taste buds recover and you'll catch yourself eating more lol.

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
just watch your diet tho! after a few months food will taste amazing as your taste buds recover and you'll catch yourself eating more lol.

Uh oh...LOL! Don't say that...I already like my food enough as it is...hopefully I will learn to enjoy in moderation or I could have a whole new set of health issues. :blink:

Satava

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 26, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
I was on Camel Wides when I made the change lol. Stick with it and congrats on your new adventure into a fun hobby!

I still have a half pack of smokes that's well over a year old sitting in a drawer. I sniff em from time to time and they're so stale that its a friendly reminder to never go back when the stink hits me!

alisa1970

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 30, 2013
Portland, OR
LOL about the 1/2 pack. Just this morning I came down for my coffee and picked up the pack that's been sitting on the counter since Friday. I opened it up and then realized, "Hey, what are you doing, you aren't using these." I considered having one, and then remembered that the last one I had didn't do anything for me and picked up the eRoll.

I'm seeing vaping right now just like I did smoking...I'll just see where it goes. I'm not really concerned about being nic-free, I just like the idea of being able to breathe. I'm not even real concerned if I have an analog--I just don't at all feel the need for one. It's pretty cool!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread