Hi to all, I need some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustAZoomer

Aug 25, 2020
Hi to all, last year I decided to quit smoking and replace it with vaping.
The reason I'm making this post is because I need some advice, I've been struggling from the beginning and even after purchasing numerous RDAs, for some reason I get a dry feeling from my vape and a kind of metallic taste although I properly install my coils (checking for hotspots in a dark room, pinching them till they are completely gone, etc).

What could be the reason for such experience?

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Hi to all, last year I decided to quit smoking and replace it with vaping.
The reason I'm making this post is because I need some advice, I've been struggling from the beginning and even after purchasing numerous RDAs, for some reason I get a dry feeling from my vape and a kind of metallic taste although I properly install my coils (checking for hotspots in a dark room, pinching them till they are completely gone, etc).

What could be the reason for such experience?
Hello and welcome! What wattage are you vaping at? What type of coil do you use? What are you using for wicking material?
What ratio (VG/PG) juice do you use?

My initial thought is, your wick is running dry in the middle of the coil mid vape.

JustAZoomer

Aug 25, 2020
Hello and welcome! What wattage are you vaping at? What type of coil do you use? What are you using for wicking material?
What ratio (VG/PG) juice do you use?

My initial thought is, your wick is running dry in the middle of the coil mid vape.
I usually vape at 60 watts with a ni80 fused clapton(this time it was around 0,16 ohms).
I've used every cotton with the same results doesn't matter if its CB or the cheapest "vape cotton" I can find.
The juices I use are usually 60/40 or 70/30 (VG/PG).

If it was running dry in the middle wouldn't the cotton be blackened? I removed the wick to see if it was burned but it wasn't.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
It wouldn't necessarily be blackened, depending on how hot it got. Even with low juice, but some still there to keep it from scorching, there can be nasty wick and coil taste.

As SupplyDaddy mentioned, rayon may be the trick, but it sounds like you already have a good selection of wick. I've used CBv2 and prime, as well as organic cotton pads, and did settle on rayon, as it is a bit more forgiving, but all of them work. Each will want different densities, so trial and error is the key. If the wick is sagging away from any point, that'll cause dry coil too. Can you post a picture of a wet wicked coil for us maybe?

JustAZoomer

Aug 25, 2020
Dry and burnt are two different things.
Why the pinching? A light scrape will help eliminate hot spots.
You could always try rayon instead of cotton.
What I'm saying is that it feels dry not burnt, but I also get some sort of a metallic flavor, it reminds me of ironing clothes or something, most of the time a light scrape wont do the trick for me even with expensive "handmade" coils.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
What I'm saying is that it feels dry not burnt, but I also get some sort of a metallic flavor, it reminds me of ironing clothes or something, most of the time a light scrape wont do the trick for me even with expensive "handmade" coils.
I pinch my coils too, shouldn't be an issue. What technique are you using for the wick, just pulling the desired amount off the strip and running it through? Scottish roll? Are you twisting it by chance?

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
I just pull the desired amount off the strip and running it through till the point it needs effort to push it further then pull it back and forth once to center it.
Might want to look into the Scottish roll method. Too little wick leads to metallic taste, too much, and it's more like burnt cotton. Right in the middle, obviously, is where ya want it. CB "should" expand a little when wet, but you may just need a little more.

JustAZoomer

Aug 25, 2020
Might want to look into the Scottish roll method. Too little wick leads to metallic taste, too much, and it's more like burnt cotton. Right in the middle, obviously, is where ya want it. CB "should" expand a little when wet, but you may just need a little more.
I guess you are right, right now I've ordered some cotton that's supposed to fit 3mm coils, if I remember correctly it's named Cotton Clouds by vapefly, I hope I get better results.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Maybe your cotton is too tight inside the coil thereby getting choked thereby not wicking well/fast enough inside the coil for your wattage therefore dry hit. This could also cause that metallic taste you are experiencing because the coil may be glowing too hot since the cotton inside the coil is not getting enough juice, to the metal glows how and you take metal.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Hello and welcome to ECF. I agree with @UncleJunkle, it sounds like too much cotton. I use SS for my coils and after a short break-in period, there is no after taste from the coil.
    Jerry
    I use SS primarily as well, but use ni80 from time to time also. I found that by wearing gloves, I wasn't depositing skin oil on my coil and wick, so I no longer have a break in period. Hth.

Reactions: Diver9543

JustAZoomer

Aug 25, 2020
    Here is a picture of my hadaly build.

Attachments

• hadaly_build.jpg
      hadaly_build.jpg
      653.1 KB · Views: 32
    • Winner
    Reactions: HigherStateD
    Status
    Not open for further replies.