Status
Not open for further replies.

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
oh that's a massive YES from this one, but only sometimes. you're the only other person that has mentioned it. plus i get it using different strengths randomly. once i get it then every time i take a drag, - "hic". it could last hours, it might last half. but it sure is fun (not actually so much fun).

so welcome to the spasmodic contraction club, we'll call it the SCC. population:2.

Last edited:

notsmellyanymore

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2008
Yorkshire UK
oh that's a massive YES from this one, but only sometimes. you're the only other person that has mentioned it. plus i get it using different strengths randomly. once i get it then every time i take a drag, - "hic". it could last hours, it might last half. but it sure is fun (not actually so much fun).

so welcome to the spasmodic contraction club, we'll call it the SCC. population:2.

Rinse your mouth with water, then take a good drink of water - that usually clears the hiccups.
I used to get unbelieveble hiccups using the Nic replacement chewing gum & lozenges, so is probably the body getting too much nicotine - too quickly.

MarcE

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2008
Oxford, UK
hello everyone, new here. . . I've had the hiccups to, i had this when i was smoking tobacco as well but I've also found i get this vaping with e-cigs. I remember reading some ware a long time ago its a common effect of having to much nicotine. I'm not sure how true this is. i found it to be the most annoying thing when i lite up a rolley and started to smoke it, only be to confronted with hiccups that made finishing my cigarette almost impossible, i suppose it could be my body saying NO.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Blame nicotine.

Hiccups are actually fairly common among smokers and tobacco users. They're a result of swallowing nicotine.

Hiccups are most common among those who use chewing tobacco, snus, dissolvable tobacco tablets. They swallow tobacco juice and hiccups can result. They are not common among pipe and cigar smokers, who neither swallow nor inhale smoke, or users of nasal snuff.

If you tend to "gulp" your vapor (or used to do the same with tobacco smoke you inhaled), then you're sending part of the inhalation to your stomach, part to your lungs. The stomach part produces hiccups from the nicotine you put there.

No big deal. Stop the gulping of vapor and see if the hiccups don't stop.

That "gulping" of inhaled vapor/smoke/whatever can also cause burping, as you've forced air to your stomach. That air has got to go somewhere. Up, down ...

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
That's pretty much the routine, yes. It is easy to just suck on the mouthpiece, never open the mouth, and inhale the vapor. But ... if you hold the vapor in the mouth and then open the mouth to gulp down the vapor, some of it tracks to the stomach.

My best friend had what I considered a remarkable talent (I was very young): He could gulp air and then emit an enormous burp on demand. Way cool. I never learned to do that. For him it was, take in air, blast out air.

Yeah, hiccups are a sign to put the damn thing down.

A hiccup is caused by your diaphragm having a spasm (the thing that controls your breathing). A significant amount of any stimulant will cause it, but nicotine that winds up getting swallowed is sure to cause hiccups.

If you have any e-liquid backfire into your mouth, make a point to spit it out as quickly as possible. Also, if you didn't have e-liquid go into your mouth then chances are you're overdoing it or using too strong a liquid.

lynchite

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2008
North West UK
I had a really bad stomach reaction to e-smoking a few days ago, it felt like I wanted to hiccup... sort of, must have swallowed some liquid and it irritated my stomach, I could feel food and hot drinks going all the way down my esophagus to my stomach, when I laid on my back It actually hurt to swallow saliva and I couldn't stop belching all the time.
I stopped smoking completely for 2 days and now I'm back on having an occasional cigar and about 1 or 2 fags a day. I am a bit reluctant to go back on to e-smoking even though I do want to. I think I might get a bottle of marlboro liquid again, which I never had any trouble from, it was with the french pipe I experienced this.

Should I give it another chance? The fact that it has got better now makes me think this reaction is nothing life threatening and it may be worth one more try....

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Definitive answers are hard to come by, since e-smoking is so new. We're all learning from each other. Your reaction, while upsetting, was not life-threatening, so I'd try again, being careful not to gulp vapor to your stomach instead of your lungs. But hiccups are common for many nicotine users (very common for snus users).

Heck, we're ingesting a deadly poison! The tobacco plant uses it to defend against insects! And we slurp it up! No wonder we get a reaction -- and worse in the long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread