High Nic Salt Juices Off Flavor

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverythingEvil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2014
Grand Junction, Co
Recently I decided to take up mixing my own nic salt juices as a way to save some money. I've noticed however that if I vape any of the higher concentration nic juices I've mixed over about 8-9 watts in any of my tanks I get an off flavor.

This seems isolated to only the mixes I've done at 35mg-50mg. Often the first puff will be more or less fine but after the first couple of puffs the flavor of what I can only assume is the nic salts starts to overpower the mix. I've mixed the same juices with 3-6mg salts and also 0mg and at those levels the nic doesn't seem to impact the flavor noticably.

I realize that there are multiple different nic salt formulations, but what I am finding odd here is that none of the commercial nic salt juices I've tried so far at 50mg/ml seem to have this off flavor. Is there something these companies are doing to mask the flavor of high concentrations of nic salt?

For reference I'm using Nicotine River's smooth nic salt base. The base is probably 3-4 months old max and it's been a problem from the very first mix. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: stols001

NGAHaze

Infinity Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Georgia
I suspect that you are either sensitive to the acid NR is using to make their nic salts and/or the sweetener used in commercial juices is effective at masking that off flavor for you. Since you are making your own juice, you might consider adding some additional sweetener in your mixes to see if that has any effect.

I'm uncertain if NR provides information on their nic salt formulation but if they did, you could try to find another vendor that uses something different. If I'm not mistaken, most vendors are using either benzoic ( probably predominate ) or citric acids in their formulations.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
I'm still waiting for a delivery of benzoic acid after deciding to mix my own salt nic so this is interesting. I'm going to start a thread when it all gets going to report my experiences.

Actually any flavour change has been one of the things I have been thinking about a lot...that and higher concentrations in a mtl vape.

EverythingEvil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2014
Grand Junction, Co
With that high of concentration any kind of nic would alter the taste. What I do with salts is use the highest % you can get (nothing over 200 is allowed to be discussed) from NR. That way you are using way less to get to that %

Interesting idea, I've been considering getting a half liter of their most concentrated nic for stalking up. I figure with my current vape usage one of those bottles would last me 5-7 years, possibly longer. If it had less taste that would just be an added benifit.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't think Nic River uses benzoic acid, while many of the commercial outfits do, that could well be your issues.

IDK about using a higher nic concentration and less as your actual base. I would probably consider making your own first and/or trying a different vendor. Because I am imagining more acid would need to be used in the higher concentrations, so you might still wind up with the same issue.

Most vendors of nic salt for DIY will send a small sample for the cost of shipping it. I might try using a different vendor or two first before making that rather oh so expensive purchase, to be honest, or at least buy less of it.

Anna

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Nicotine River is having a sitewide sale starting on the 28th-31st. Not sure the % off but it should be a good time to try a different mg or formula. I’m going to get a bottle of 100mg hit. It’s supposed to last longer also which is good because I’m getting a liter of the nicotine and a liter of both pg and vg. If my math is correct I’m gonna mix them all together for 3 liters of 33mg hit nic salts with 50/50 pg/vg which should be perfect for mid 20’s mg after I add flavorings. I basically add the same % of flavorings for all my recipes so this should work out nice. I started this post like I was suggesting a fix for the OP then just talked about myself and my plans. Man I hate people, like me, that do that. They just want to hear themselves talk, ridiculous, like anyone cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread