High res vs Low res Coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

varivapr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2013
New York
I would consider myself a mid level wick/coil fabricator. I can bang out a good setup pretty much every time now. I use 500ss and either 28g or 32g wire. My question is for the upper level builders. What effect does the resistance of the coil have on the vape? For example: what difference could I expect using the same wick setup, one using a 1.1ohm coil at 10 watts and one using a 2.1ohm coil at 10 watts. Right now I am using a 2 strand braided 32g coil at 1.9ohm at 4.8v. Other than maybe taking a second to heat up it produces huge amounts of vapor. Almost a choking amount. All you rba vets out there please give me some insight. Thanks

varivapr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2013
New York
If you're using a VV/VW device, a higher resistance coil will draw less amperage than a low resistance coil at the same wattage, and therefore, improve battery life and give more time between charges.

Im not an expert but I don't believe this to be completely true. Increasing your voltage setting on the same resistance coil still decreases battery life. I'm a believer that wattage is a much more accurate way to compare battery usage than just straight amperage. Additional amperage must be drawn and then divided to get the device to put out a higher voltage. So say 5v at 2amps will have less battery life than 4v at 2 amps.

Scott_Simpson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
Im not an expert but I don't believe this to be completely true. Increasing your voltage setting on the same resistance coil still decreases battery life. I'm a believer that wattage is a much more accurate way to compare battery usage than just straight amperage. Additional amperage must be drawn and then divided to get the device to put out a higher voltage. So say 5v at 2amps will have less battery life than 4v at 2 amps.

Hummm ... here's what I mean, according to Ohm's Law:

a 1.5Ω coil fired @ 3.5V = ~8.2W, but draws ~2.3A

a 2.7Ω coil fired @ 4.7V = ~8.2W, but draws ~1.7A

Same approximate wattage, but the lower resistance coil draws more amps.

unloaded

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
SW. Indiana
Hummm ... here's what I mean, according to Ohm's Law:

a 1.5Ω coil fired @ 3.5V = ~8.2W, but draws ~2.3A

a 2.7Ω coil fired @ 4.7V = ~8.2W, but draws ~1.7A

Same approximate wattage, but the lower resistance coil draws more amps.

It draws more current between the booster and the coil but it draws less between the battery and the booster. So it's basically a wash as long as the wattage is the same.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
this is how i see the results, for one the comparison really has to be made with different wires, lets say for the 1.1 ohm coil we use 28g, it would be to hard to use the same 28g wire to make a 2.1 ohm on the same wick. in terms of a comfortable wrap, the 2 examples needs different wires. now with one being 28g and the other 32g, then you can make a comparison. so do you want the comparison of different wires, or the same wire gauge for the comparisons? i can make a comparison with different wires, because i never attempted to try to get a 2.1 ohm coil with 28g wire, or never tried to get a 1.1 coil with 32g. its just hard to achieve these ohm comparisons with the same wire. but being that the lower resistant set-up is using alot more amps then the higher resistant set-up, the lower one should produce a thicker and a more fuller vape.

Last edited:

varivapr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2013
New York
It draws more current between the booster and the coil but it draws less between the battery and the booster. So it's basically a wash as long as the wattage is the same.

You got it. The boost circuit has to draw additional amperage from the battery to be able to create a higher voltage. I know ohm's inside and out and was forced to study it till blue in the face in college. 8.2w of power consumption is 8.2w of power consumption any way you slice it. Battery life will be the same either way

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
lets say 28g vs 32g. A 4/5 28g at 1.1ohm vs a 4/5 32g at 2.1ohm. What could I expect in the difference in vape to be?
ok, well i have done this comparison before, actually quite a few times, i believe the amount of vapor is equal, i find the flavor of the 28g much better, i find the LR coil will be a warmer vape, but heres the weird thing, although the LR coil is warmer, i find the HR coil more harsh, like hotter. i think the LRcoil is just smoother. also i find the color of the vaper a little different, the LR coil is whitter and the HR coil has a slightly darker vapor. overall the LR coil is better, it has a thicker, denser, warmer, tastier, smoother, and not as harsh compared to the HR coil.

Reactions: toyotadoc4u

varivapr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2013
New York
ok, well i have done this comparison before, actually quite a few times, i believe the amount of vapor is equal, i find the flavor of the 28g much better, i find the LR coil will be a warmer vape, but heres the weird thing, although the LR coil is warmer, i find the HR coil more harsh, like hotter. i think the LRcoil is just smoother. also i find the color of the vaper a little different, the LR coil is whitter and the HR coil has a slightly darker vapor. overall the LR coil is better, it has a thicker, denser, warmer, tastier, smoother, and not as harsh compared to the HR coil.

Very good. Thats exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. Ive found I get the best overall vaper from the braided 32g. Right now its 1.4ohm. I was using a single 32g with 3 wraps at about the same res and it just wouldnt produce. I have much better luck when I have as much coil contacting the wick as possible. I know this is contrary to many others but thats what works for me. any other tips or insight would be greatly appreciated.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Very good. Thats exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. Ive found I get the best overall vaper from the braided 32g. Right now its 1.4ohm. I was using a single 32g with 3 wraps at about the same res and it just wouldnt produce. I have much better luck when I have as much coil contacting the wick as possible. I know this is contrary to many others but thats what works for me. any other tips or insight would be greatly appreciated.
i have never tried braded wire, but if you like more contact with the wick and low resistances, then i would try a 4/5 wrap of 28g(about 1 ohm) or a 4/5 wrap of 30g (1.4 ohms) depending on your wick size. i dont know how low you like it but with a mechanical mod a 3/4 wrap of 28g is awesome. the only thing i can add is good batterys, definately hi drains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread