High WATTS/AMPS - Boost MCU Mod w/ Nokia Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
This mod has a AtMega328p micro-controller with a Nokia cell phone display. It is powered by a 20C Lithium-Polymer battery. The boost circuit is the good ole PTN04050C.

Voltage Range: 3.78v to 6.38v

PARTS:
ATMega328p AVR
Nokia Graphic Display
PTN04050C
20C lithium polymer 3.7 battery
1 amp USB Charger
100 Amp Sensor
Parallel 5.1A PTC resetable fuses
5A On/Off Slide Switch
18 gauge wiring
Aluminum Enclosure (size of a pack of cigs)

Maximum Results so far:
22.78 Watts
3.38 Amps
6.3 Volts output

The PTN04050C is spec'd at 12 Watts, 2.4 Amps yet I was able to achieve the above results.
This mod is far superior to the dna mod on output wattage and amperage.

mcu_nokia.jpg
mcu_nokia_01.jpg
mcu_nokia_02.jpg
mcu_nokia_03.jpg
mcu_nokia_04.jpg
mcu_nokia_05.jpg

mcu_nokia_1.jpg
mcu_nokia_2.jpg
mcu_nokia_3.jpg
mcu_nokia_4.jpg
mcu_nokia_5.jpg
mcu_nokia_6.jpg
mcu_nokia_7.jpg
mcu_nokia_8.jpg

Last edited:

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Nice work Tru, just like always. :) Have you got two 4050's in there? If those numbers are just from one, color me impressed. I suspected I have been seeing a strong bump in current by getting rid of most wiring particularly on GND and V-out, similar to your use of 18G. Your screen, case and usb charging make a very convincing package too.

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nice work Tru, just like always. :) Have you got two 4050's in there? If those numbers are just from one, color me impressed. I suspected I have been seeing a strong bump in current by getting rid of most wiring particularly on GND and V-out, similar to your use of 18G. Your screen, case and usb charging make a very convincing package too.

Hey As, thanks buddy.
I originally had piggybacks but what you see here is a SINGLE ptn04050c.
This is the piggyback I was playing with: Piggybacking 2 PTN04050c boost modules

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Tru, I think you just showed ECF the dream machine of technical vapers. I really like the "everything on one screen" output display that shows volts, ohms, amps, watts, battery percentage, and voltage with one look.

I'm sure there will be a string of posts here wanting to know, "How much? I want one!".

Good luck getting one of those through airport security, though! ;) The UK incident may pail in comparison if the wrong people see it.

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Tru, I think you just showed ECF the dream machine of technical vapers. I really like the "everything on one screen" output display that shows volts, ohms, amps, watts, battery percentage, and voltage with one look.

I'm sure there will be a string of posts here wanting to know, "How much? I want one!".

Good luck getting one of those through airport security, though! ;) The UK incident may pail in comparison if the wrong people see it.

Thanks Dave, it's my dream machine anyway.

Airport security, no problem.. switch to game mode :laugh:

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Impressive :)

For the contours of the screen (on the alum box) what I use for smooth edges is a flat piece of stainless (as a guide) and precision files...works wonders :)

Yeah I slipped a little with the dremel wheel as you can see.

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hi Dave, very, very nice! Does the MCU have anything to do with the increased output or is it the 20C battery?

Thanks Robert, No not the MCU it's just there to calculate values.
The battery helps and the 18 gauge wiring and short runs. Didn't help the DNA though.

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Piggybacking two I have thought about, ever since mamu showed a nice way to wire that, but I wouldn't have room for two, or a handy dandy screen pre-programmed to measure stats, unless you want to send me one to test, hehe. I'm torn in other directions.

I had the two 04050c's piggybacked and all wired up but getting these results with a single, is it worth it? I personally don't think so.
Thanks for the testing offer. I think I'll test it myself :laugh:

P1NkY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
Planet Earth
Holee bejeezus, breaktru! That mod is just about 1337 shades of awesomeness!
What's next? Integrated tank with direct injection and fuel level gauge?
I can just see a future version asking, "Your juice is running low, would you like to place an order?"
Or even, "You seem to be chain vaping, would you like to adjust your nicotine level?"

Again, fantastic job, sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread