Highbrow Exotic Blend and RY4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jplanet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2010
NJ
After little more than a year of vaping, I have become increasingly skeptical of juice reviews, if only because a quick perusal of any vaping forum shows how subjective the e-juice flavor experience can be. And, out of the more than 100 flavors I have sampled over the past year, less than 1/10th of them were flavors I would want to continue to use, though many others apparently love them. There are a few instances, however, where the quality and uniqueness of certain vendors' products becomes apparent, and I see this happening with Highbrow.

Highbrow now joins the ranks as one of few e-juice vendors who take an artisanal approach to crafting their juices. It caught my attention that Highbrow encourages imaginative customization of flavors when placing orders. Not just limited to the "double flavoring" or "added sweetener" that some vendors kindly offer, Highbrow takes this many steps further. For example, on the order page for their Exotic Tobacco, it is suggested to request a touch of one of many recommended fruit flavors. The order page for Vanilla suggests trying it with more or less cream. The sky is the limit.

The quality of ingredients is also quite apparent. When I asked what additive was used to impart sour or tart qualities, I was informed that they use their own lemon extractions. Needless to say, I was impressed. So, I started with a test drive of three of their tobacco flavors.

Exotic Blend:
Out of the dozens of tobacco flavors I have tried, many were described as pipe tobaccos. I never smoked pipe tobacco, so I don't have a real-life reference, but nothing that I tried before conjured anything remotely like what I would imagine a pipe tobacco flavor to be. Exotic Blend took me by surprise. I've settled into a few cigarette/cigar juices over the past few months, so this was quite a different flavor profile for me. After the first few puffs, I went back to my old standard daily vape, but I was getting hints of the Exotic Blend left over in my atomizer. I found myself acclimating to this new taste - and craving it. It didn't take long before it was the only thing I was vaping, and even though it is described on the Highbrow site as a cigarette flavor, it really did conjure the feeling that I was smoking a luxurious pipe tobacco - not ashy, and much more rich, warm, and complex than any cigarette-type flavor I have tried. Perhaps worth pairing with a fine scotch, port, or brandy. It made me wish that my high-tech-looking Joye eGo was carved out of Mahogany, and that I should be in a robe by a fireplace in a quaint English library. Nothing overtly sweet, nothing artificial. There may be some notes that seem a bit floral at first vape, but this soon settled into the the flavor profile as a natural aspect of the tobacco (and is likely an aspect that disappears with a little steeping). There is also a "tangy" personality of this tobacco flavor - I knew I had tasted it somewhere else before, then it struck me that there are some similarities to the popular BWB 555...I could compare it to the hint of bergamot oil in an Earl Grey tea...but, for those who find that flavor far from what they imagine a tobacco to be, Exotic Blend could, perhaps, make the connection that one is lacking to the real thing. I have also been told that this flavor will improve significantly with some steeping. At 12mg in 100% VG, it was extremely satisfying. All Highbrow juices are available as PG, VG, or a PG/VG combination.

RY4:
A tamer tobacco profile than the Exotic Blend, with the expected RY4 elements of caramel, vanilla, and hint of cocoa. This flavor appears to already be gaining recognition in the RY4 Roundup here, and with good reason. Not nearly as sweet as may other RY4 variations - this also has the "top shelf" flavor profile that seems to be a pattern in Highbrow juices. If the Exotic Blend is an overwhelming flavor to some, but still appeals to you, this could easily be an all-day vape. Also at 12mg and 100% VG, I found it a little lighter on throat hit than Exotic Tobacco, but satisfying nonetheless.

I also have the French Pipe, which I enjoy very much, but I would like to see how the cherry aspect settles into the tobacco flavor after a bit of time before reviewing.

Overall, I am very impressed with Highbrow. This is a vendor that takes pride in their work, and their attention to customers' individual tastes is an enticing incentive to give them a try. Knowing how demanding us vapers can be - it will be interesting to see how well they can handle custom orders from the inevitable hordes of customers who can barely stand to go a day without their favorite vape! But, even if it comes down to having to wait, it will be well worth it for the artisan quality of these juices. I have already ordered a big bottle of Exotic Blend, and look forward to trying many of their other flavors over time.

Last edited:

meeems

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2011
Wisconsin
Great review, I mean GREAT review.

I'm sold. and hanging out at his website right now.
thanks for this review Jplanet :)

Meems

After little more than a year of vaping, I have become increasingly skeptical of juice reviews, if only because a quick perusal of any vaping forum shows how subjective the e-juice flavor experience can be. And, out of the more than 100 flavors I have sampled over the past year, less than 1/10th of them were flavors I would want to continue to use, though many others apparently love them. There are a few instances, however, where the quality and uniqueness of certain vendors' products becomes apparent, and I see this happening with Highbrow.

Highbrow now joins the ranks as one of few e-juice vendors who take an artisanal approach to crafting their juices. It caught my attention that Highbrow encourages imaginative customization of flavors when placing orders. Not just limited to the "double flavoring" or "added sweetener" that some vendors kindly offer, Highbrow takes this many steps further. For example, on the order page for their Exotic Tobacco, it is suggested to request a touch of one of many recommended fruit flavors. The order page for Vanilla suggests trying it with more or less cream. The sky is the limit.

The quality of ingredients is also quite apparent. When I asked what additive was used to impart sour or tart qualities, I was informed that they use their own lemon extractions. Needless to say, I was impressed. So, I started with a test drive of three of their tobacco flavors.

Exotic Blend:
Out of the dozens of tobacco flavors I have tried, many were described as pipe tobaccos. I never smoked pipe tobacco, so I don't have a real-life reference, but nothing that I tried before conjured anything remotely like what I would imagine a pipe tobacco flavor to be. Exotic Blend took me by surprise. I've settled into a few cigarette/cigar juices over the past few months, so this was quite a different flavor profile for me. After the first few puffs, I went back to my old standard daily vape, but I was getting hints of the Exotic Blend left over in my atomizer. I found myself acclimating to this new taste - and craving it. It didn't take long before it was the only thing I was vaping, and it really did conjure the feeling that I was smoking a luxurious pipe tobacco, rich, warm, complex. Perhaps worth pairing with a fine scotch, port, or brandy. It made me wish that my high-tech-looking Joye eGo was carved out of Mahogany, and that I should be in a robe by a fireplace in a quaint English library. Nothing overtly sweet, nothing artificial. There may be some notes that seem a bit floral at first vape, but this soon settled into the the flavor profile as a natural aspect of the tobacco (and is likely an aspect that disappears with a little steeping). There is also a "tangy" personality of this tobacco flavor - I knew I had tasted it somewhere else before, then it struck me that there are some similarities to the popular BWB 555...I could compare it to the hint of bergamot oil in an Earl Grey tea...but, for those who find that flavor far from what they imagine a tobacco to be, Exotic Blend could, perhaps, make the connection that one is lacking to the real thing. I have also been told that this flavor will improve significantly with some steeping. At 12mg in 100% VG, it was extremely satisfying. All Highbrow juices are available as PG, VG, or a PG/VG combination.

RY4:
A tamer tobacco profile than the Exotic Blend, with the expected RY4 elements of caramel, vanilla, and hint of cocoa. This flavor appears to already be gaining recognition in the RY4 Roundup here, and with good reason. Not nearly as sweet as may other RY4 variations - this also has the "top shelf" flavor profile that seems to be a pattern in Highbrow juices. If the Exotic Blend is an overwhelming flavor to some, but still appeals to you, this could easily be an all-day vape. Also at 12mg and 100% VG, I found it a little lighter on throat hit than Exotic Tobacco, but satisfying nonetheless.

I also have the French Pipe, which I enjoy very much, but I would like to see how the cherry aspect settles into the tobacco flavor after a bit of time before reviewing.

Overall, I am very impressed with Highbrow. This is a vendor that takes pride in their work, and their attention to customers' individual tastes is an enticing incentive to give them a try. Knowing how demanding us vapers can be - it will be interesting to see how well they can handle custom orders from the inevitable hordes of customers who can barely stand to go a day without their favorite vape! But, even if it comes down to having to wait, it will be well worth it for the artisan quality of these juices. I have already ordered a big bottle of Exotic Blend, and look forward to trying many of their other flavors over time.

meeems

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2011
Wisconsin
Buttered Rum, Highbrowbacco French Pipe, Highbrowbacco Exotic Blend, Creme Brulee, Hazelnut cream, Cheese Cake Torte and Rye 4..hee.

I have Jplanet to Thank. I came in the other nite looking for something natural, after having my throat nearly close up on me, and an extreme allergic reaction to a cdn pg based juice.
soon as i read Jplanets review, I knew this was the place to order. Whatever it was, chemical, or something in that juice, i completely am steering to all natural ejuices.

Last edited:

meeems

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2011
Wisconsin
heheheh.

I went with door number #1, because he emailed me back and forth and made sure I was absolutely one hundred percent happy, with all my choices, he told me how they will taste, he walked me thru all kinds of doors and windows, the guys a stand out STAR in my books. I'm speaking of Brian, from HighBrow. he's a cool dude. Dont know what rawr is. are they all natural as well?

dammit, now I have to choose between juice from highbrow, or from rawr...

Icey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2010
Skokie
Bassworm, kick ... avatar. I haven't seen that game since my o'l child hood.

Icey, let me know how the Malt is, I pondered that one as well.

Meems

Absolutely. I wanted to do more reviews on highbrow, but in all honesty I have came across no flavors I didn't like other than french pipe because of its salty tobacco texture (of course, it's not for me since a family member loves bitter tobacco. Imagine that @.@). My drawer is now full of variety of bottles more than any vendor. I keep coming back for more.

jplanet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2010
NJ
Buttered Rum, Highbrowbacco French Pipe, Highbrowbacco Exotic Blend, Creme Brulee, Hazelnut cream, Cheese Cake Torte and Rye 4..hee.

I have Jplanet to Thank. I came in the other nite looking for something natural, after having my throat nearly close up on me, and an extreme allergic reaction to a cdn pg based juice.
soon as i read Jplanets review, I knew this was the place to order. Whatever it was, chemical, or something in that juice, i completely am steering to all natural ejuices.

I hope these work out for you! It's so hard to tell if a flavor will work for anyone in particular, and is the reason I have been reluctant to write reviews of many juices I've tried. In fact, I can safely say that every single juice that I don't like has had very positive reviews at one time or another! And, one important factor that can affect what a juice tastes like to an individual, which is rarely mentioned in reviews, is what flavor(s) the person was used to before they tried the flavor they're reviewing. I had mostly been vaping AVE Havana Gold and Vapor Station Tennessee/Phoenix and Texas prior to trying Highbrow. Had I been doing Mrs. T's cheesecake flavors or KBV OMG instead, I'm sure I would have had a completely different impression.

I also hope that you can figure out whatever caused that reaction. You should ask that vendor for a list of ingredients and flavorings in the juice that caused it, I'm sure they would be happy to help. Watch out for peanut allergies - they can creep up on you, and I'm sure that a lot of vape juices have peanut flavoring - also, cross-contamination can be a concern, for instance if a vendor makes one juice with peanut flavor, but small amounts of it can find its way into others. For me, I have to avoid anything with tart fruit flavorings, or my stomach will burn like I've swallowed battery acid. (Which stinks, because I really love some of those flavors).

I do think that that Highbrow will join the ranks of those vendors whose quality is high enough, that vapers of a broad range of tastes will find something they will enjoy. Alien Visions, Halo, Backwoods Brew and KBV are good examples. The fact that Highbrow does PG/VG, or mixed, and makes customizations, is a HUGE plus. For example, VG-only folks have no options at Backwoods, and Alien Visions only does VG. And, if you find something too sweet, not sweet enough, too tart, too strong, too weak, etc., they can make it to suit your tastes.

Now, I only wish that I could grab a 3ml sample of every flavor they carry!

Last edited:

Icey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2010
Skokie

meeems

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2011
Wisconsin
I'm vaping Havana Gold as we speak. its been my all day vape for about 6 months. i'm actually just starting to finally get a little sick of it. took a long time though. but thats my fault, i really didnt vape much else. not allergic to peanuts, but it could have been anything. even something i ate, but i'm not taking any chances. Cant wait for my first order, even if i'm not loving a juice, hey its all natural, i'll make myself love it.

Meems

I hope these work out for you! It's so hard to tell if a flavor will work for anyone in particular, and is the reason I have been reluctant to write reviews of many juices I've tried. In fact, I can safely say that every single juice that I don't like has had very positive reviews at one time or another! And, one important factor that can affect what a juice tastes like to an individual, which is rarely mentioned in reviews, is what flavor(s) the person was used to before they tried the flavor they're reviewing. I had mostly been vaping AVE Havana Gold and Vapor Station Tennessee/Phoenix and Texas prior to trying Highbrow. Had I been doing Mrs. T's cheesecake flavors or KBV OMG instead, I'm sure I would have had a completely different impression.

I also hope that you can figure out whatever caused that reaction. You should ask that vendor for a list of ingredients and flavorings in the juice that caused it, I'm sure they would be happy to help. Watch out for peanut allergies - they can creep up on you, and I'm sure that a lot of vape juices have peanut flavoring - also, cross-contamination can be a concern, for instance if a vendor makes one juice with peanut flavor, but small amounts of it can find its way into others. For me, I have to avoid anything with tart fruit flavorings, or my stomach will burn like I've swallowed battery acid. (Which stinks, because I really love some of those flavors).

I do think that that Highbrow will join the ranks of those vendors whose quality is high enough, that vapers of a broad range of tastes will find something they will enjoy. Alien Visions, Halo, Backwoods Brew and KBV are good examples. The fact that Highbrow does PG/VG, or mixed, and makes customizations, is a HUGE plus. For example, VG-only folks have no options at Backwoods, and Alien Visions only does VG. And, if you find something too sweet, not sweet enough, too tart, too strong, too weak, etc., they can make it to suit your tastes.

Now, I only wish that I could grab a 3ml sample of every flavor they carry!

meeems

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2011
Wisconsin

Charlz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2011
upstate NY
I also found the cherry of the french pipe a little too much at the foreground of this one. After a week or so, it does get much better and of course became something that lingered in my cartos so I began to crave it more an more. The pairing of the exotic blend with this one was a marriage made in heaven. These juices are going to force me to buy an expensive pipe mod. :p

jplanet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2010
NJ
I also found the cherry of the french pipe a little too much at the foreground of this one. After a week or so, it does get much better and of course became something that lingered in my cartos so I began to crave it more an more. The pairing of the exotic blend with this one was a marriage made in heaven. These juices are going to force me to buy an expensive pipe mod. :p

Sounds like we have very similar taste! I plan on adding some French Pipe to the big bottle of Exotic when it arrives, so now I'm looking forward to that.

Have you tried any others from Highbrow? Any recommendations?

Berret

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2011
Tempe, AZ
I ordered the Pomegranate from them and let me tell you, it's REALLY good. Very clean and fresh tasting. I also ordered the cigar and french pipe tobacco, can't wait to see what they taste like after they steep for a while, I thought they were pretty darn good right out of the mailbox though.

Have some RY4, Blackberry Limoncello and Vanilla Bourbon Bean coming in the mail so I'm pretty excited about that. I have to admit, I haven't been this excited about buying juice in a long time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread