Status
Not open for further replies.

Kataphraktos

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2013
New York, NY
Hello, I ordered half a dozen 100% VG juices from Highbrow to try them out.

I've been steeping them for about 10 days. Do these need many weeks or months of steeping? Or are they just not compatible with my palate?

I know this isn't bad juice, considering how many love their products. I want to make sure this is simple palate incompatibility before I sell them.

EleanorR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2011
Treasure Coast
:) The answer to your question is: it depends on which flavors you got!

The fruits should be ready by 10 days; the tobaccos (which are v-e-r-y different from most NETs) may take 1-2 months; and odd items like Buttered Rum, Cheesecake Tort, Highbrow Malt and English Malt Toffee are somewhere in between.

Or, sadly, they just may not suit your palate. :( Tell me what you got, and perhaps I can give you a more specific answer!

Last edited:

Kataphraktos

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2013
New York, NY
Vanilla Bean Decadence is the only one that is vapable, but not much of a vape. The other 5 just taste like poison to me: Highbrowbacco RY4, English Malt Toffee, Cappuccino Diablo, Highbrowbacco French Pipe, and Buttered Rum.

I know others love these flavors. I also know I've had a similar reaction to AiV and Virgin Vapors, both brands that other adore and swear by. Meanwhile, I love Ahlusion and VCV.

All of these are artisan juices with devoted followings. I wonder if people all have similar palate patterns - folks who like one vendor will generally like and dislike the same brands.

I'll let them all steep another month, and try them again. I've read so many stories of multiple months of steeping turning revolting flavors into ADVs.

EleanorR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2011
Treasure Coast
Vanilla Bean Decadence is the only one that is vapable, but not much of a vape. The other 5 just taste like poison to me: Highbrowbacco RY4, English Malt Toffee, Cappuccino Diablo, Highbrowbacco French Pipe, and Buttered Rum.

I know others love these flavors. I also know I've had a similar reaction to AiV and Virgin Vapors, both brands that other adore and swear by. Meanwhile, I love Ahlusion and VCV.

All of these are artisan juices with devoted followings. I wonder if people all have similar palate patterns - folks who like one vendor will generally like and dislike the same brands.

I'll let them all steep another month, and try them again. I've read so many stories of multiple months of steeping turning revolting flavors into ADVs.

It's good you're willing to give these another month, but yeah, you definitely got some of the "odder" juices -- like EMT and BR. As for the two tobaccos: some folks love them. However, I and many, many other natural tobacco vapers cannot stand HB's tobacco ejuice. :( Even 6 months of steeping doesn't make that weird base go away!

(Count me in as another who could not tolerate Virgin Vapor juices, either!)

Hippieangst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Statesboro, GA
I might be interested in trading for the Belgium Waffle with you...PM me with some requests of what you might be looking for.

I don't know where I got the inclination to order belgian waffle from hbv but I did and I regret doing so... It tastes like weird sweet butter and unvapeable to me. :/ Yuck.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
I have two from them, very well aged. The Orange de Sangre is very much like orange juice. Since I prefer fruit vapes that actually taste like fruit, it works really well for me.

English Malt Toffee.. I don't know, it's an odd one. Only spent a couple sessions with it so far. I can't vape it straight for more than a couple puffs, it's just too much of something. However, if I cut it with just a little bit of Orange de Sangre it's much more vapable for me. Needed some brighter notes to cut into malt intensity. I've also mixed in a little of it with some leafy tobacco juice I had and that was good. It'll be a mixer for me instead of vaping it straight.

I will be trying more of their fuit vapes, most vendors go for that artificial candy fruit flavor that I don't care for, so I appreciate vendors like Highbrow and Ahlusion who make them the style I like.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

aubergine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
MD
Ya, to me Highbrow is best with their clear, true citrus vapes - Ahlusion makes a better Tiramisu and I much prefer A+ chocolate tones (although chocolate, IMHO, is hard to do for anyone). I can't speak to anyone's tobaccos - a solid aversion that I cultivated on purpose. Alas.

But I think any almost all of their juices, especially fruity ones, are better than the average bear (I just got some HHV waffles w/maple syrup, thinking I should have something candysweet-tasting for a junk food moment... agh. It's like a mouthful of [inauthentic] maple syrup. Hello Ms T. That's what we don't have to do any more. Not that I didn't ask for it.)
Highbrow was my top vendor for a while until Ahlusion came along, after many others. I've moved along again, sigh.
I will say that after a fairly long leveling out, e-liquids really have become more competitive and better over the last years. Instead of everything being somewhat reminiscent of Twinkies, junk cereal, gummy bears and KoolAid (or much worse), I think that's now becoming an up- front niche commodity (like clever Fuzion). I thought Highbrow's Limoncello and Orange Sangre were pretty cutting edge in the effort to give us a little delicious authenticity, and still do.

Last edited:

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
I ordered a few Highbrow juices based on recommendations here and did not like them at all. They all had an icky undertone that makes me think their water quality is very bad. I've had similar issues with juices made here in Phoenix. If they are not filtering their water, the bad water is a real put off for me.

Most juices don't contain water. The ones that do use distilled, and in very low quantity.

OnTheFidele

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
I've found that their tobaccos change SIGNIFICANTLY after a month or more. Something truly magical happens after this initial hump. It then steadily gets better, plateauing at 2 months, it seems. If you like complex yet [very] powerful flavors, their Perique lends itself to a very nice all-day vape.

I've also found their dark chocolate and tiramisu requires at least 2-3 weeks of steeping for it to shine. Becomes much more powerful, yet remains nice and subtle. Quite good.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
I've found that their tobaccos change SIGNIFICANTLY after a month or more. Something truly magical happens after this initial hump. It then steadily gets better, plateauing at 2 months, it seems. If you like complex yet [very] powerful flavors, their Perique lends itself to a very nice all-day vape.

I've also found their dark chocolate and tiramisu requires at least 2-3 weeks of steeping for it to shine. Becomes much more powerful, yet remains nice and subtle. Quite good.

Sup Abe? I'm going to try there 'baccos one of these days, will plan to put them away for nice steep when I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread