[Highly Detailed Guide] How to make 475 ml (20 bottles) of 10 mg strength e-liquid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

the88thcrazy

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Ohio
What Ingredients You'll need: (90-110$ total)
-100ml of 36 mg flavorless e-liquid from eastmall.net
-300ml of PG, or VG, or a combination of both depending on preference. some choose to add water as well, again, it's a preference thing. You can test how you like this solution by vaping a little of it to see how you like the fog (not the taste), before adding the flavorless e-liquid to it.
-20 drams of LorAnn's super strength flavorings. These can all be different flavors, 20 drams of the same flavor, or a combination of 5 or 6 flavors, it doesn't matter. Do not use oils, or flavorings that contain sugar.

What Tools You'll Need: (10-25$, depending on how much the bottles cost)
-Large sterilized container for mixing, at least 500ml in size. use something narrow and pourable, bowls don't work all that well.
-small funnel
-Graduated cylinder, or an accurately marked measuring cup(metric)
-Spoon or spatula
-Latex gloves
-20 [25 ml] (or 30ml) empty plastic or glass dropper bottles.
-20 sticker labels
-Sharpie

[Stock] Directions: (400ml, 12 mg/ml nicotine concentration)
1. Eastmall packages their liquid into five 20ml bottles. empty all five of these into your large container.
2. Measure out 300ml of you PG and/or glycerin solution. add this to the flavorless e-liquid in your large container.
3. with a spoon or spatula, mix this solution thoroughly, until you feel that everything is pretty evenly mixed.

[Flavored e-liquid] Directions: (23.75ml, 10.11 mg/ml nicotine concentration) x20
1. Measure out 20 ml of your [Stock] in a graduated cylinder or metric measuring cup
2. Pour from the graduated cylinder into the bottom of one empty [25 ml] dropper bottle with a small funnel.
3. Repeat steps [1.] and [2.] from this section of this guide with the other 19 empty dropper bottles.
4. After measuring out 20ml into all 20 bottles, proceed to add 1 dram of LorAnn's super strength flavoring into 1 dropper bottle filled with 20 ml of [Stock] solution. place a sticker label on the side of this bottle, then write the name of the LorAnn flavoring with a Sharpie on the sticker label. this ensures that there is no confusion as to what flavor of e-liquid you are making. (this a 15.79% flavor ratio)
5. Close the dropper bottle tightly and gently shake the bottle until the [Flavored e-liquid] solution is thoroughly mixed.
6. Repeat steps [4] and [5] of this section of this guide with the other 19 dropper bottles filled with 20 ml of [Stock] solution. Remember, only use 1 dram per dropper bottle of 20 ml [Stock] solution. (If mixing flavors, make sure that it totals out to 1 dram, or 3.75 ml, before adding it to the dropper bottle of [Stock] solution.)
7. You are now ready to start vaping with your home made e-liquid! enjoy!

Storage:
-Store liquids in a safe, airtight containers.
-Keep in a dry, cool place. some prefer to refrigerate their liquids, but this can be dangerous to others.

Tips & Tricks
-You are not necessarily required to make 400 ml of stock. Instead, you can use just one 20 ml bottle of 36 mg flavorless e-liquid, and mix it with 60ml of your personal PG/VG solution for a total of 80 ml of 12 mg flavorless e-liquid.
-Same concept when adding the flavoring. you are not required to use all of your stock when adding LorAnn's, but make sure to store your extra stock in an airtight container for storage. simply add 20 ml of your stock into a dropper bottle, add 1 dram of any flavoring, then label your bottle, and you're good to go. I plan on doing this while i find what flavors make the best vapor. I'm still experimenting with all those wonderful flavors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~END~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry that i treated the reader as if they were a total idiot, but that's what good directions are for! This is how i'm generating 6-8 months of vaping for ~120$, just thought i'd share. (on a side note 7 months worth of smoking analogs would cost me 1575$, probably more)

Last edited:

the88thcrazy

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Ohio
If you are going to use only one or a few different Lorann's flavorings, it's much... MUCH cheaper to buy larger bottles. The 4oz costs $13, and that's 32 drams! I think the 1 oz (8 drams) is like $6.

Oh i know, but Lorann's drams are usually something you can pick up at any supermarket. i just used drams because it's a way to make a small test batch before finding something you really really like. who needs 4 ounces if 3.75 ml of it tastes like crap?

CaseyNY

Mar 21, 2009
Farmington, NY
AWESOME write up! I do have a few questions that come to mind if you or someone coudl answer them.

1. You mention to not use flavors with sugar in them. Is there a way to tell if a specific Lorann flavoring has sugar in it?

2. You mention, '300ml of you PG and/or glycerin solution'. Is there a recommendation here? 300ml PG, or 75% PG and 25% glycerin? Or ... some other combination???

3. The nicotine level of 12 is fine for me, but will there be a throat hit with this recipe? Does it depend on the flavoring used? Or the combination of PG and glycerin? Or do you need to add something else to boost a throat hit? I think I watched a video Walrus made where he was experimenting with adding something to get a throat hit, that doesn't effect the flavor.

Thanks!

the88thcrazy

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Ohio
AWESOME write up! I do have a few questions that come to mind if you or someone coudl answer them.

1. You mention to not use flavors with sugar in them. Is there a way to tell if a specific Lorann flavoring has sugar in it?

2. You mention, '300ml of you PG and/or glycerin solution'. Is there a recommendation here? 300ml PG, or 75% PG and 25% glycerin? Or ... some other combination???

3. The nicotine level of 12 is fine for me, but will there be a throat hit with this recipe? Does it depend on the flavoring used? Or the combination of PG and glycerin? Or do you need to add something else to boost a throat hit? I think I watched a video Walrus made where he was experimenting with adding something to get a throat hit, that doesn't effect the flavor.

Thanks!

all Lorann flavorings have a list of ingredients. go to https://www.lorannoils.com/c-6-super-strength-flavors-candy-oils.aspx , click on the flavor you want, then hit "item details" on the page that comes up. it lists all ingredients.

the PG-VG ratio is a pure preference thing. no right or wrong answer really, but i've heard alot of people say not to go with 100% glycerin (vg) because it is too thick for the atomizer. other people have gone with 100% pg (Which will work), but some choose to add VG with it. others will say add water and alcohol as well, but again, this is a pure preference thing. just make an extremely small test sample (number of drops is a good way to measure ratios) and vape it without adding flavorings or nicotine, then test the vapor quality. if it's the thickness that you like, go with it!

As for throat hit, it sort of depends on flavor, but that is more of a question for walrus or someone else who has tons of experience with DIY. that might be why some people choose to add alcohol (ethanol) to their solutions, but i've never done it, so i do not know.

Good luck!

RazorNribbonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Trapped within my imagination
Excellent directions 88th...I love good directions lol Pretty much covers everyones knowledge base in the forum..I particularly liked that you gave an example of a "How To" on a smaller batch of stock...I don't know that I'll ever make this much at once..But, I'm printing it out anyway...I pretty much print out everything...I gotta go get some more ink..::lil laugh::

Vroya

Apr 4, 2009
Missoula, Montana

4. After measuring out 20ml into all 20 bottles, proceed to add 1 dram of LorAnn's super strength flavoring into 1 dropper bottle filled with 20 ml of [Stock] solution. ...

Just in case anyone needs clarification on what a dram is (I had to google it)...

1 dram = 60 standard drops = 1 teaspoon

Great guide by the way - plan on using it soon!

UkUsa

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2008
Smalltown Iowa, USA
Okay, I've got a silly question. How are you'll calculating the nicotene potency? What's the mathmatical formula? I know, silly, but I'm curious how you'll calculate this stuff. TIA :~)

Here is an easy scenario - 30 ml of 36mg nic + 30ml total of other ingredients = 50/50 mix = 18mg nic. That's the way i figure it anyway.

Hope that helped some.

the88thcrazy

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Ohio
Oh snap, i was doing a little math today, and realized i did this all wrong. using 300 ml of pg/vg yields a 9mg strength, and the same 1 lorann's dram to 20 ml stock ratio will yeild about 7.6 mg strength. i'll fix the stock solution directions to still equal a 10.1 mg/ml nicotine strength. i'll fix this right after this post.

kleerp

Apr 8, 2009
Hey all I'm new to messing with eliquid myself.
Does this make sense to increase my eliquid supply?

If I buy say 30ml of apple 14 mg, for instance - pour it in a bigger jar, and then add 30ml of bickford apple and shake it up, will that give me twice the juice with half the nic content?

I keep seeing posts about recipies that include flavoring but also say "add pg" - which I have no idea where to get or what that means.....

Would 50/50 premade eliquid and 50% bickford flavor make sense or am I missing something crucial??? please help before I go broke buying eliquid!

Thanks very much - new to the forum so i hope i get alerted that someone replied! had a rough night, 3 atomizers broke, dropped my usb passthrough into a glass of water! any advice for a newbie to eliquid messing would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!! thanks!!!!! i can not go back to regular smoking, feel so much healthier!

CaseyNY

Mar 21, 2009
Farmington, NY
I've never made my own juice, but I think just adding flavoring would not be a good thing.

Someone can correct me I'm sure, but from what I've read:
1. Seems people are leary of using the Bickford flavorings, so go with the Lorann.
2. I think what you would do is add probably about 29.5ml of PG or VG and then like .5ml of your flavor boost (or to taste).

the88thcrazy

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Ohio
Okay, I've got a silly question. How are you'll calculating the nicotene potency? What's the mathmatical formula? I know, silly, but I'm curious how you'll calculate this stuff. TIA :~)

First, obtain your starting strength and liquid. let's use a 36 mg strength for an example, in a 20ml size. Now, lets say you needed a....16 mg strength.

take 36, divide it by your desired strength, 16. [36/16 = 2.25]

Multiply that number by your starting volume, or 20 ml. [20 ml * 2.25 = 45 ml]

This is the required amount of "other ingredients" which is your customized ratios of flavoring, PG, and glycerin. you mix this up to your preference, then add your original 20 ml of 36 mg liquid to this mix.

you now have [20 ml + 45 ml = 65 ml] of 16 mg strength e-liquid.

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
I've never made my own juice, but I think just adding flavoring would not be a good thing.

Someone can correct me I'm sure, but from what I've read:
1. Seems people are leary of using the Bickford flavorings, so go with the Lorann.
2. I think what you would do is add probably about 29.5ml of PG or VG and then like .5ml of your flavor boost (or to taste).

I do want to correct you Casey. :)

As far as I know, the only real criticism against Bickford's is that their flavors are not as strong as Lor Ann's.

Most of their water soluble flavors have as ingredients only PG - the same base as most nic liquids - and natural or artificial flavors. So they are fine as compared to the non-oil based Lor Ann's, just weaker.

So it actually would be fine to use a big quantity, even 50/50, to acheive a flavor mix you like. Would be no different than using a mix of a nic liquid, PG and a small amount of another but stronger flavor, or using a mix of nic and no nic commercial liquids, but in that case it would be a lot cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread