Holding in the Vapor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tristalec

Feb 13, 2009
Oklahoma
I've noticed that when I inhale if I hold the vapor in my lungs for a while then nothing comes out. I've had this experience with cigarette smoke, but it usually takes more than about 3-5 seconds for my lungs to absorb the smoke, with smoke I usually would have to hold it in for about 10 or more seconds in order to breathe out no smoke. I was just wondering what ya'lls opinions were on this. I wouldn't think that it would be that harmful, but you never know. I use non-pg from johnson creek by the way. (i guess that would make it vg?)

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
Holding in cigaratte smoke is real bad for you, you're concentrating all the particulates in your chest, tar and ash and nasty evil stuff.

P.G. is used by hospitals to administer atomized meds. Their atomizers are cold, so it all stays in there.... I'm no expert, but how bad can it be for you if they do it ?

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
P.G. is used by hospitals to administer atomized meds. Their atomizers are cold, so it all stays in there.... I'm no expert, but how bad can it be for you if they do it ?

RjG--I did not know that about hospitals with atomized meds and the use of PG--learn something new here everday!!!--Thanks---Sun:)

RjG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 16, 2008
Edmonton AB Canada
correcting myself, "Nebulizer" I guess is the correct term in a hospital :-O

propylene glycol nebulizer - Google Search

random pick from the search:
"Pulmonary/Critical Care Division, Health Sciences Center, State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, New York 11794-8172, USA. toriordan@mail.som.sunysb.edu

To deliver a drug by nebulization, the drug must first be dispersed in a liquid (usually aqueous) medium. After application of a dispersing force (either a jet of gas or ultrasonic waves), the drug particles are contained within the aerosol droplets, which are then inhaled. Some drugs readily dissolve in water, whereas others need a cosolvent such as ethanol or propylene glycol."

Last edited:

chewy7097

ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2008
Livonia, MI
RjG--I did not know that about hospitals with atomized meds and the use of PG--learn something new here everday!!!--Thanks---Sun:)

They've actually been using PG to suspend medications for a very long time. Even the FDA said it is recognized as "generally safe." Considering the warnings they put on everything else, it can't be too bad either way.

On a side note - your body metabolizes PG into Lactic Acid... Not sure what an excess of Lactic Acid would do to the body... I'd look it up, but it's past my bed time!

puff-puff-pass

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Alberta
On a side note - your body metabolizes PG into Lactic Acid... Not sure what an excess of Lactic Acid would do to the body... I'd look it up, but it's past my bed time!

OK...no medical professional or anything, but did do some quick research.

Too much Lactic acid in the system creates the physical effects of "LActic Acidosis" as defined at //en wikipedia org/wiki/Lactic_acidosis (sorry...forum noob and can't post links)
"lactic acid" is commonly used in the context when relating to exercise. During times of physical activity, lactic acid begins to accumulate in the muscles. After too much LA build-up, the muscle can become susceptable to a good ol'fashion cramp.
Please feel free to correct me if I'm off course with that. :|

As for holding the vapor in for a long absorption time, my concern would be the possible effects of holding the moisture for such a long time. More so a concern for anyone who has been a long time analogger. Emphysema is a build-up of excessive fluids in the lungs, notably caused by the effects of tobacco smoking, that the body is not able to expell (aka hack-a-loogie). With that in mind..."Should you/me/we/us/them purposely hold oily vapor in our lungs?!"

Idahojo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Bonners Ferry, ID
I've noticed that when I inhale if I hold the vapor in my lungs for a while then nothing comes out. I've had this experience with cigarette smoke, but it usually takes more than about 3-5 seconds for my lungs to absorb the smoke, with smoke I usually would have to hold it in for about 10 or more seconds in order to breathe out no smoke. I was just wondering what ya'lls opinions were on this. I wouldn't think that it would be that harmful, but you never know. I use non-pg from johnson creek by the way. (i guess that would make it vg?)
I was noticing this too & discovered I didn't have enough liquid in the cart. When I put more in I had more vapor. I'm a newbie so I might be all wet, or in our case all smokey. If I'm wrong someone correct me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread