Holiday Giveaway Contest - Vermillion River

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Guss

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
[h=6]Welcome to our Holiday Giveaway Contest. WIN 60 MLS OF juice!! 2-30s, 4-15s - winner picks their choices. We will pick a winner every Sunday now thru Xmas Day - each week a different topic. The winners each week will be chosen from posts here and from our FB page with the contest running simultaneously on each. The new topic will be posted each Sunday with the weekly winner posted on Monday. Winners must have a US shipping address. ECF rules state contests must be ended at 1000 posts, if this comes into play we will start a new thread when needed. Have fun and good luck.
[/h] First up - CRAZY TURKEY DAY MISHAPS - give us your best shot - 1 entry per person - CRACK US UP!! GOOD LUCK!!

luceblueboy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2010
Ohio
So one year my grandma, who is a bit kooky to begin with, decided we'd have an authentic Thanksgiving. This meant nothing, besides the oven, could be used that has electricity. It's November in Ohio. First off, there was no snow. It's cold outside so no one wanted to go out. The only thing us kids wanted to do was nintendo and watch football. We tried to sneak the games but were yelled at quite frequently. After being bored for hours on end with nothing to do, my uncle goes up to the tv and turns it on. My grandma could've killed him with her eyes. The catch, my uncle is a detective on the police force. No one messes with the detective. Relieved, we finally had something to do. So that is the story of how my uncle saved thanksgiving.

ZooKansas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
Kansas City, MO USA
Well...it was the night before Thanksgiving about 11 years ago. But I was working as a server in a upscale Italian restaurant. Warren Moon (who was the Chiefs backup quarterback at the time) comes in with what appeared to be at least ten family members. I was thrilled to be one of two servers who waited on his party.

Of course, in my haste I dropped an expensive bottle of red wine, which accurately spilled all over what appeared to be his mother, and most of the table. Time sorta stopped for awhile...one of the most embarrassing situations in my life. Somehow got through that night. He was really nice about it, even giving me some words of encouragement before they left.

miller552

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2011
Texas
thegeneralagent.com
One Thanksgiving we decided to have rabbit...we raised them at the time...the daughters 4H project gone wild...anyway, I knew if we told them what we were eating they wouldn't eat and would probably even cry...so the night before, while the girls were gone to an outing with friends, my husband and I butchered about 10 fryer bunnies and dressed them out for cooking/smoked on the grill. Well the next day...time to eat, opened the foil pkg from the grill (wonderful fall off the bone meat) stole a sample and along came youngest daughter wanting food...put a piece in her mouth...she chewed, said yummm then asked what is it...I guess I had a guilty look on my face when I said smoked turkey, cause she blew the chewed meat all over us and screamed...It's my rabbits isn't it! lol...lol...we still laugh about it every year.

Running Wolf

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2011
North East Ohio
I was working third shift at a tape library (IT folks might know what that is). A cousin on my mom's side of the family has parties on Easter and Thanksgiving, sort of like an Irish Brunch (10am and the house bar is open).

My mom had picked up my wife and I headed out from work. The Schuylkill Expressway runs around the Philly Area, a major highway. It's about 8:30-9:00am and I see a car stopped by the side of the road, the guys was about 30 feet away from his car. I slowed down and was gonna help in case they needed help (ride to a pay phone.... this was 11or 12 year ago).

Well the guy was standing on the shoulder of the road with a video camera and there was a domestic turkey walking along the shoulder of the highway!!

I get to my cousins and start telling people about it. They all asked what I was smoking, thinking I was full of it. Well come 11pm people started calling me telling me that they were sorry cause one of the news broadcasts had the video taht teh guy was shot.

chatter97

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2011
Woodstock Georgia
What Exactly Are You Serving? A Thanksgiving Tale of Inappropriate Choices....

I actually have two thanksgiving dinners, one on Thanksgiving and the other a week or so earlier for my family. We do this largely so everyone in my family can be together and then on Turkeyday we can go to our spouses families Thanksgivings. Well, the last couple of years the family dinner has been at my brother's house. The first one we had three years ago we all volunteered to bring something, but he declined saying he had it covered. That evening he decided he did not want to cook an elaborate meal so he served us beanless chile on spaghetti noodles and bread.

Last year, once again Thanksgiving was to be held at my brother house. This time, my mother bought a ham and a turkey for him to cook and we all brought side dishes. When we showed up for the meal the Turkey and the Ham were still in the freezer.... my brother had decided this Thanksgiving meal he wanted to try Turducken and had cooked that instead. I enjoyed it, but it was not Thanksgiving dinner and not a place to try something new. Turns out he served the ham to my mother for dinner a couple of days later and offered the Turkey to his in-laws.

The story does end happily as this year, we had a normal traditional Thanksgiving at his house a couple of weeks ago.

cubist

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2010
South Jersey
A few years ago, our family thanksgiving plans changed at the last minute, literally at the last minute. Thanksgiving morning I got a call asking if I could host because my aunt had some sort of refrigerator malfunction and the thawing turkey was now questionable as far as eating it. I hadn't planned to cook a dinner but figured we could throw something together for just 12 people rather than cancel Thanksgiving all together since several family members were here from out of town.

So I start cooking a small turkey breast that we had and a lot of side dishes hoping to make up for the fact the turkey was so small. People start arriving, the bottles of wine were opened, and football is playing. Thanksgiving had been saved and we all anticipated a great dinner after all... until our power suddenly went out!

After about an hour we admitted defeat & realized that turkey and all the traditional sides just weren't in our family's cards. It was getting late by this time & the kids were getting hungry. I managed to gather up some steaks and chicken and from the freezer, thawed them with hot water and we grilled out in the backyard with a bon fire!

It wasn't the most elaborate Thanksgiving dinner for sure, but we were together. It may have actually turned out to be one of our better family gatherings!

WV_Mountaineer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2011
Almost Heaven
Well, yesterday (Thanksgiving) was the first mishap we've had in 20yrs. The wife had to go to work very early (3am to 11am) so she woke me up to help stuff the 20lb. turkey and put it in the oven to cook slowly until dinner later that day.

After some family arrived we're all talking and preparing the other dishes for dinner, I went ahead and removed the turkey from the oven to rest on the counter so we could use the oven to cook the other dishes. I was sitting in front of our Laptop tweeting and facebooking, when all of a sudden my wife yells...FIRE!!! being an ex-volunteer firefighter I sprang into action, as I round the corner to the kitchen I see the oven door open and flames licking up both sides of the internal fire baffle on the bottom of the oven, my wife is going for the flour to douse the flames, luckily I stopped her in time and kicked the oven door shut to smother the flames. I tried to explain to her that using flour is for an open grease fire in a skillet, if she had tossed flour into the oven it could have caused a small explosion.

So now of course all the smoke detectors in the house are wailing as I,m pulling all the batteries out to stop the noise, then go back to the laptop and tweet about our near miss, when all of sudden again, what do I hear but my wife yelling FIRE!!!. She had went and opened the oven door allowing fresh oxygen back into the oven while it was still hot enough to self ignite, I'm like you've got to be kidding me, really. Now the smoke in the house is even worse, it's like 35 degrees outside and we have every window and door in the house open for over an hour, Now I'm freakin' freezing, hungry and there's only one beer left until my brother shows up in a couple of hours (he was picked to bring the beer). I took the oven apart, had the girls degrease and scrub it clean so we could start over, that took another hour.

So this will definitely go down as one Thanksgiving none of us will ever forget. :facepalm:

Last edited:

webbcm127

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2010
wenatchee WA
a few years ago my mom decided it was her turn to cook the turkey, we decided to do this on the friday after thanksgiving, everyone was helping with the fixins,and pies but my mom was pressed to do the turkey her way and alone(not much of a cook lol) anyways she some how caught it on fire in the stove...thats a bit of mess but no worries because she was gunna go get a new one and we could just eat a lil later....so as shes driving in black friday traffic, someone ran a red light and hit the tail end of my moms rig, dont be scared no one was hurt enough to complain.....we blamed it on the snow and ice. so we get to the store and its a mad house took us 2 hours to buy 1 turkey...PITA. now for the drive home....guess what happens we get hit again...in the same spot on the rig but at the next light down the street, again no injuries except i was sure my mom was gunna beat the **** outta somebody. we finally make it home, very aggrivated and start the turkey procedure over, by this time the rest of the family decided to cook a ham and have a mini meal while we were gone.....ill tell ya what, if your ever in this situation dont do it lol my mom was so upset she yelled, threw food at everyone and then started hystarically laughing and said.....DAMNIT IM ORDERING PIZZA!-) thanks for reading!-))

misplacedsooner

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2011
stillwater, oklahoma
my daughter in law and son hosted us. she made a cake as we do november birthdays when we all get togather. the cake she made she forgot to add water or something and we didnt know it...it looked and smelled good...but looks can be deceiving...she had it iced well. i got the first slice and it was like eating cardboard at first bite. my wife was on her first bite also and we just looked at each other like this is terrible. we looked at her and she had this how is it look going on. we had to tell her she must of left something out and gave her a bite and she was like i can fix this. she took our pieces back and put them on the plate with the cake....naturally we started talking with family again. i turned and looked to see what she was doing and she had taken 2 full sticks of butter and layed it on the cake so i nudged the wife and we watched her put it in the microwave and set it on high for 5 minutes!!!! 2 sticks of butter!!! 5 minutes with an iced cake!!!! i tried to tell her that she was gonna make nothing but a mess but she would have none of it. she heated that poor cake for 5 minutes no matter how bad it was popping and melting and burning. she took it out and said only ...i dont think thats gonna work. good thing we had plenty of pie.

gjns711

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2011
Cartersville, VA
I'll try a silly, dumb story for a change. Most of my stories either involve someone going through a glass door, falling into the woodstove or waking up in the middle of the night in a sea of people spread out all over the floor at my Mom's old farm house and wondering why there was yelling in the backroom and why is "my brother naked"? Anyway, safe, non violent, dumb thing I did, not once but twice...my first Thanksgiving as a wife and cooking my turkey all by myself, came out beautiful, a little dry, but lovely looking. It was my second and third that my brain went shopping and left me home to cook. The second Thanksgiving day turkey came out looking like a pro cooked it, but on closer inspection I found that I had cooked all the guts, plastic bag and all, in the turkey. My third Thanksgiving day turkey was all brown and crisp, but somehow looked a little off to me, my relatively new husband looked at my handiwork and proceeded to tell me that I had cooked the bird upside down! I have no excuse, these were my second and third attempts, if I had done either of those things on Turkey number one I could have chalked it up as "new cook syndrome", but noooooo, I had no one to blame these two screw ups on but me..........

twohandedcreations

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2011
orlando florida
a few years back my mother had baked some cupcakes the night b4 thanksgiving. as usual she had baked quite a few for thanksgiving night and she displayed them on her nice, large, plastic serving tray. we are cat people so leaving anything out on the counter over night is a no-no. she couldn't put them in the fridge as the tray was too large and she didn't want them to get stiff in the refrigerator. so she covered the try with plastic wrap and slid them back in the oven to store them over night. so the next morning(thanksgiving day) we woke up and everyone went about their business as family started to arrive and the house began to fill up with relatives. well, right around noon my folks decided to start the turkey by pre heating the oven! i guess everyone forgot about the plastic try full of cupcakes!!!! i believe the first comment was "does anyone else smell burning plastic?".... not even a full minute later i hear my father yell "the oven is smoking" and my mom yelled "the cupcakes". they turned off and opened the oven and black STINKY smoke poured out!! and after the smoke cleared there was a melted plastic tray filled with cupcakes that were covered in melted burnt plastic wrap... the house reeked of burnt fiery plastic and later that afternoon we had thanksgiving dinner outside at our picnic table as no one could really stand the smell in the house and it was the worst thanksgiving turkey ive ever eaten because it had a burnt plasticy flavor!!! so thats my funny thanksgiving (true) story!! hope you enjoyed it!!!

spacekitty

Krazee Kat Laydee & Guru-X2.5
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
SoCal, USA
This didn't happen to me, and thankfully I wasn't invited, either... (ha!) but a friend of ours had just gotten married and wanted to have a few friends over for her 1st Thanksgiving Dinner. Never having cooked a turkey before, she wasn't aware of the package of giblets that are usually enclosed, and went about stuffing the turkey as it was. Now normally this wouldn't have been too much of a disaster, but these were packaged in PLASTIC and everybody got sick from the toxins that were released when it melted inside the bird!!!

They all ended up at the Emergency Room, but everything turned out Ok... although I don't think anyone ever accepted anymore dinner invitations from her again... :facepalm: LOL!!

LeAnn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2010
Urbana, Illinois, United States
My worst Thanksgiving Turkey was the first time I had the whole family over, we had the biggest dining room, I forgot to take the turkey out of the freezer the night before, so I tried thawing it out with running hot water over it for about an hour and thought that it was all thawed out, so I stuck it in the oven, thinking it was just in time to cook it before everyone arrive. Well 3hrs later I discovered that I didn't turn the oven on I had a wet soggy raw turkey in the oven and my familly all started laughing at me, luckily my mom and dad had brought a ham. Guess they new me pretty well, since then I let sombody else deal with the turkey!

Lady J

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2011
Ohio
My first (of only two) kosher Thanksgiving...

6 weeks after moving halfway across the country, to my hole in the wall apartment in Queens. You know, the one with a counter so small you probably can't put a loaf of bread on it without it getting in the way. There were only 2 of us, and the price of kosher meat meant that our tiny hunk of turkey breast likely cost more than the turkeys bought for a family of 15. :p

So it's time to make the sides. Let's go traditional, shall we?
  • Mashed potatoes... wait, no dairy allowed with the meat. I rig something up with a dairy free "margarine" and some chicken stock. Edible, but since it had been the first time I'd made them that way, no experience for tweaking them.

Gravy: the breast did not give off a lot of fat, so my (now ex) boyfriend used salami. In our turkey gravy. I thought "oh dear, that's going to be disgusting."

Corn: I traditionally cook it in a skillet full of butter. Yay for that above mentioned "margarine."

Rolls: finding dairy free -and- kosher rolls was difficult in my neighborhood. We just bought extra challah and used that.

Pie: First, I am allergic to pumpkin, and even though I make pumpkin pies for my dad every year, no way was I attempting to dairy-free my recipe for something I can't even eat. We ended up with store-bought cookies.

There were only two of us, and we had no space to store tons of leftovers, so we had a very pared down Turkey day. The turkey breast was a bit dry, the potatoes were just wrong, but that gravy? Holy moly I wish I could remember how he made it. It was so darn good. The corn was best described as "meh." So I guess the disaster was "we spent way too much money on a meal that nobody really enjoyed. Plus we got upset stomachs from too much gravy."

Prettycat191

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Plano, TX
Here's what I posted about my Thanksgiving yesterday:

It's amazing how crazy a day can turn.

I woke up an hour late because my alarm didn't go off for some reason, only got 3 hours of sleep, but I was only supposed to get 2! What woke me up was hubby sitting on the bed to wait for me, and instead he got his ... chewed out for not waking me up! He'd been up since 5 apparently! So we ended up leaving an hour late, but I made up for it by driving like a bat out of hell lol! (Not on purpose, I've been driving a car that feels like it's going faster than it is, so I kept driving the van at what felt like the right speed, but every time I checked my speed it was 80-85!) There was some REALLY THICK fog this morning too, when we first got on the road you could only see MAYBE 20 feet. Once we got on the highway it cleared some, but it was foggy the entire 4 hour drive!

While we're driving, I start notice that the van is sputtering when we're going up hills. Oh crap, what now??? We talked some about it and hubbs called a mechanic friend, who said it's probably the fuel filter (which is getting replaced tomorrow for sure!). So we spent the whole drive just HOPING that it won't break down.

Everything was good while we were there, and we all cracked up when my dad was setting up the entire family photo, took 3 tries! First he accidentally only had the timer set at 2 seconds, and when he sat down his chair sank a little in the slightly muddy ground; and the picture had him running. Then on the second shot, my brother went to help him change it to a longer delay time, then they both ran back at once, my brother knocking the chair over while trying to get to his spot, and the camera shows my dad halfway through trying to squat in place of the chair! We're all starting to crack up now, so we get the chair righted and he starts it all over again; and when he comes back almost falls over backwards in his chair that is once again sinking in the mud! Most of the pictures are us laughing with dad looking funny, haha! I had the best view of the whole thing too, since I was right behind him!

Coolest part of my day, finding out that my dad is now a vaper and has been since January! I was following my 3 year old around at the side of the house and vaping along, when I saw him walking towards to me with what resembled a cigar, but I quickly realized was a brown Ego-T PV! He started at 24mg and is down to 5mg! I told him about DIY and how that's the only way I get juice now, and talked to him about the different PV's. He ended up with the same kind of PV that I have; guess we truly are alike lol! So I tried some of his juice and he got a kick out of my dripping lol. I was hoping to convince dad to become a vaper, and here he was one even before I was lol. Then I found out that my brother's girlfriend is a vaper too, turns out I'm surrounded by them and I didn't even know it!

So then we all get ready to leave, and we're heading home, once again just HOPING that the van will make it home. The trip was pretty uneventful other than the sputtering getting worse; the real fun came when we got home. Hubbs took the girls in while I was got all of the stuff in the van together and ready to take in, then came back to get some as I was walking to the apartment. I get to the door, unlock it only to find that it's already unlocked, but it won't open! My 3 year old locked the non-key lock! She couldn't figure out how to get it open either! So here we are locked outside the house, and I'm seriously contemplating breaking a window, while my husband tries to decide if he can ninja-scale the wall to get in one of the upstairs windows. As a last ditch effort I ask him to check the tiny kitchen window, because we forget to lock it sometimes, and I thought I might be able to squeeze through. Thank goodness it was unlocked! So I had to climb on the a/c unit, stick my upper body through, turn around and sit on the sill, and try to get my legs in without falling to the floor headfirst. Right under the window is a toaster oven with bags of flour on top, and I'm trying REALLY HARD not to cover the entire kitchen with flour and destroy my toaster oven lol. I finally managed to get in and get the door open (the lock jams sometimes, it was jammed bad, no wonder she couldn't get it open!); then called my mom to tell her the story.

After hanging up with my mom, I started emptying my pockets, and couldn't find my pv! I spent at least 30 minutes looking everywhere for it, searching the van, searching the ground where I walked with the flashlight, searching the kitchen, and checking anywhere I might have put it down. I was about to cry I swear! Noooooooooooo! Anything but the PV!!! Finally gave up and ate my cold food, then took the flashlight in the kitchen and started looking under everything! Finally I found it UNDER the toaster oven, I hadn't seen it before because it rolled almost all of the way to the front! YAY!!!!!!!! Saved!

So that was my uber crazy, eventful day! Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!

Wow, that turned into a book! Lol, sorry :blush:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread