Home Made 510 Battery connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoogie76

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I'm cheap and haven't had a 510 battery die yet so I've been making my own connectors to make mods with and thought I'd share how.

3 Parts needed:
View attachment 4661
1/4" ID Bronze shoulder bushing, 3/8" long 3/8" diameter 1/2" flange diameter. 1/4" OD diameter nylon spacer, .091" ID, 3/8" long. Brass nail.

This was the smallest ID spacer I could find so it's what I used.

View attachment 4662
I have a piece of 3/4" particle board that I've predrilled some holes in.

I use a two part liquid epoxy made by LocTite.

View attachment 4663
Using a toothpick, take some epoxy and put it in the hole of the spacer.

View attachment 4664
Put a nail through it.

View attachment 4665
Put in a hole to dry.

Don't worry about the epoxy on the nail it'll peel right off. I use a rounded head nail but a flat one would work just as well, but it was what I had. They won't stand up on their own so the hole idea was born. Make sure that whatever nail you get that you can get solder to stick to it.

Continued---

Last edited:

hoogie76

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Now it's time to work on the bushing:

View attachment 4667
I run a 1/4" drill through them to make sure they're not too tight and then open up the end a little bit with the drill. Some day I'll buy a 6.5mm drill to make creating the threads a little easier.

View attachment 4668
Use a 7mm x .50 thread tap, you create threads.

View attachment 4669
Make sure you're nice and straight with the tap or it'll be screwy. Use some pressure to get it started then just make sure you stay straight.

View attachment 4670
The end of the tap is flared so don't go in too deep but just a little bit to open up the start of the hole a little bit.

View attachment 4671
Nice fit for a 510 atty

Continued:

Last edited:

hoogie76

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Now it's time to assemble it all:

View attachment 4672
Take your now mostly dried spacers with the nails in them and run a bead of epoxy around the end of the spacer near the nail using a toothpick. Try and keep epoxy away from the top part of the spacer so it doesn't get into the atty or threads near the atty when you push it into the bushing.

View attachment 4673
Screw an atomizer into the bushing. I like to leave the air holes uncovered so I only screw it in that far. Stuff the spacer with epoxy into the other end of the bushing and give it a spin or two. Make sure you push it in far enough so the nail head contacts the center of the atty. Push on the spacer though, not the nail in case it's not totally dry yet.

View attachment 4674
Unscrew the atomizer and let the connectors dry. You can trim off the excess nail part after they dry.

View attachment 4675
These end up being totally sealed so they're good for dripping :)

View attachment 4676
I was gonna go through building a nico stick with one but there are plenty of examples of that, so here's just a picture of one in a nico stick that I just built and was waiting for the epoxy to dry on.

3 posts makes them seem complex(5 picture limit) but they're real simple to make.

The tap and holder costs about $15 shipped.

They cost less than $1 each to make depending on where you get the parts. First one I did was with parts from lowes, much more expensive.

Don't screw the atty's in too tight, the rounded head of the nail can push in the center of the atomizer. I haven't had it happen yet but it's possible.

The connectors end up being solid and hold solder well, other than the room they require, they may not be useful in some of the smaller mods but they're useful for pretty much anything else:)

Last edited:

hoogie76

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I am wonder as I prefer to have my atomizers screwed all the way in (OCD) could you use fine file to create the notches on a normal connector or would it still allow air to flow without bothering?

I have some that screw in all the way and they still work okay but the draw is a little harder.

Filing notches works okay too but I've never gotten them to look good after doing them.

Once you screw the atty all the way in, the space is really minimal.

Lazarus

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2009
Treasure Coast, FL
I have some that screw in all the way and they still work okay but the draw is a little harder.

Filing notches works okay too but I've never gotten them to look good after doing them.

Once you screw the atty all the way in, the space is really minimal.

I bet you could cut a couple of slots with a dremel cutting wheel ;).

Very nice. :D

BTW, is that an oilite bushing, impregnated with oil ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread