Not open for further replies.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I've been wanting to pick one of these up

A pin vise is about the most perfect device for winding coils. And it's been used by line engineers in the telecom industries for decades. An inexpensive example if you want to try one (available also on eBay and elsewhere)…

Professional Swivel Head Pin Vise 2 Reversible Chucks

It allows you to wind with tension directly from the spool which negates the need to torch or compress. You can simply pulse the wire on your device until it fuses. I've written about this process quite a bit on ECF. To use it can't be simpler…you insert your wire and bit in the the chuck and tighten it. Proceed to wind. Less than 30 seconds later you have a perfect contact micro coil, if you used tension. As tight as mother nature will allow. Can't get there any other way.

Cheap and it just works.

313893d1394460029-protank-cotton-rebuild-way-i-do-img_0535a.jpg

The above happened to be done on a standard instrument screwdriver with wire affixed to the handle with tape. An inexpensive pin vise is better for obvious reasons.

Also mike you can get Dremel drill bits in kit form at Home Despot. Most of the sizes you'd want for a tank or RBA. They're perfect for winding. Also when you get around to drilling out your devices take it with you. Most of the B&M's don't use drill bits with such high-speed precision. You'll appreciate my advice when they don't scratch up your new dripper.

Good luck mike.

:)

Last edited:

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
here.. i'll plonk this in here... might be handy for some of you or give you something to play around with

I've used this guys vid a few times now.. i'm grateful.. :)

you can wrap a coil onto a precision screwdriver loose.. add an extra 4 wraps or so for peeling back the wire/backing off the wire from your screwdriver with pliers to get straight legs

the way ive found that works to get a nice coil is to wrap up on the screwdriver with the handle on the left side then
grab a second precision and insert it under the left leg and force the coil against it so that the second psdriver is jammed tight
between the coil and the handle of the first psdriver...
while you have it all tight grab the handle of the first driver and the left leg with a set of pliers.. holding them both tight
now you work the second driver through the coil in the direction of the wrap
the biggest part of this technique is to keep the handle of the second sdriver tilted to the right a little

thanks for that link MacTechVpr... I could do with a pin vise aswell as some other bitsandbobs they have ;)

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
...thanks for that link MacTechVpr... I could do with a pin vise aswell as some other bitsandbobs they have ;)

You're welcome slip. Always looking for better ways to leverage energy. I like the jig torsion method in the video. But honestly it is forming not tension, specifically torsion. And it is actually winding the coil twice. It's difficult to ensure even precision of force with so much minute rotation. I've used it throughout the last nine months in comparison wick tests. Hard for me to work it with my own motor control issues. That's why I thought tension would help a lot of people including mature folks like me. Easier to muscle a coil with some elbow grease. LOL But I've always liked DZ's jig from way back when I was still lurkin' last spring. It's all good. Hey you know I just want people to get over, first and foremost. If an easy thing like a screwdriver can make it happen, I'm happier than a you know what.

I don't always build precision tension slip. Or lounge in the +Ω territory. I'm an avid tobacco lover and that requires some serious watts. And I've got my own damn penchant for gnarly, knurled builds. I'll have to put one up on the sup's big boys thread when I take a break from playin' with the kiddies.

You take care. Good luck.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
wow, i had no idea there was a better option than a small screwdriver and lots of cursing!

Screwdriver's not the easiest place to start. But it does get folks focused on wind diameter and what that means for the vape. It's about temperature (resistance) and targeting the best wind for the flavor/s we like. And if you really want to get there, maximal electrical efficiency[/I,] it's a hell of a let easier if you let mother nature help with the physics and use tension to optimize alumina oxidation…

332934d1399406830-protank-microcoil-discussion-img_0805a.jpg

Get the skinny on http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/clearomizers/486794-protank-microcoil-discussion.html. Tap us on the shoulder if we can help.

Good luck uncle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread