Honest question. is vaping bad for you/ your lungs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoe m

Jul 15, 2016
CT
im going to be a college athlete. I really enjoy vaping, its a fun hobby i have. however do you think it affects my stamina and ability to run long distances? smoking obviously does have a rather negative affect. But does vaping? I mean i am still putting something deep into my lungs thats not really supposed to be there. weve all heard that news story where someone got a hole in their lung bc of vaping. i just want to hear your opinion on the matter. futher my knowledge on the health aspects bc i really dont know.

Reactions: Eskie

mountaingal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Tennessee and ports on the East Coast
I believe it to be much healthier than smoking. And when I read up about PG I was surprised to find that maternity wards vaporize it to cut down on airborne pathogens.
I saw a FB post and the lady was talking about the "OIL" used in e-cigs causing a friend some vague lung problem. I make my own 20mg/ml juice and there is no OIL in mine. Keep reading up about it.
I work 12-14 hour days sometimes and I have more energy now then when I was smoking my 12-15 cigs a day.
Good luck.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
im going to be a college athlete. I really enjoy vaping, its a fun hobby i have. however do you think it affects my stamina and ability to run long distances? smoking obviously does have a rather negative affect. But does vaping? I mean i am still putting something deep into my lungs thats not really supposed to be there. weve all heard that news story where someone got a hole in their lung bc of vaping. i just want to hear your opinion on the matter. futher my knowledge on the health aspects bc i really dont know.
The effect of vaping on lungs is a smalll fraction of smoking but it's not zero. I vape 7 ml per day and notice some lung irritation, very little compared to smoking but again, not zero. If I were vaping 2 ml's per day may be the effect would not be noticable. If you have a choice may be it's because you never smoked? Why go there? If you have a choice may be it's a social thing so may only do it when you're trying to impress the girls and that won't be many ml's. If you are elite, top drawer, or plan to be there you won't be partying much, you be home sleeping. It's tempting to say go for it. The more vapers there are the better protected us hardcore former smokers will be but I'm too good hearted for that. Vaping might not hurt your lungs but it won't make them stronger or more efficient.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
My own experience has been that xrays of my lungs taken over the almost 6 years I've been vaping and compared to ones taken before I started vaping, when I'd been a 35+ yr smoker, is that my lungs have improved immensely.

As far as the negative news stories go, most are a bunch of bull whose purpose is to scare people away from vaping and have nothing to do with actual fact. As an adult you have to decide what's best for you. If I were you and your athletic endeavors are important to you and vaping is merely a hobby and not a way to refrain from smoking, I'd refrain from vaping while enjoying my years being the best athlete I could be. :)

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
What makes an exceptional athlete? Genetics, physical well being, diet, strength, stamina, sacrifice, dedication and hard work.

many of us here are all to ready to tell of our breathing improvement, and health benefits we have discovered coming off of, for many of us, a whole bunch of years of destructive physical impact from smoking. Yeah, vaping is great, I can breath so much better now! But what is not common and a totally unknown variable, is what if any, negative consequences might arise from inhaling vapor products to a never smokers lungs. Sure bet it is a boatload safer than smoking, but 100% non impact upon physical lung health? Nobody can answer that. We vapers are the guinea pigs in the experiment...

Thinking more on this, what is really needed are numbers of never smokers to take up vaping, and have their health monitored for many years, to prove or disprove any concerns.

Last edited:

Stinkytofus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
New York City
is it better than smoking? i think so
is it better to not pick it up? i think so

nothing but fresh oxygen is good for your lungs, if you're an athlete, i'd say stay away from smoking and vaping, unless you only want to vape very little/for fun ( i vape every few minutes, lol )

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I think most of the people here are former smokers that like the support and camaraderie that many...addicts? find helpful. For me, the success stories really helped. The public, as a whole, seems to see vaping as just another form of smoking. People can be rather closed minded.

I was teaching college for a while and there was definitely a dim view of vaping on campus; not just legally, but socially too. I guess their are things I am open-minded on and things that I am not. I just thought the faculty was a little openly opinionated, all-in-all.

Anyway, my two brothers have been teaching college long-term and they don't seem to question rules. But, then again, they probably don't want to have to get "real" jobs, either.

Sadly, I strongly suspect that your vaping will affect your wearing a school athletic uniform.

Leahholmes

Aug 19, 2013
Skegness
vapeing for me has ment I can run after yrs of not being able to but if you don't have a nicotine addiction and ur a athlete I personally wouldn't risk vapeing, however I don't think a occasional vape would hurt you just be very carefully what eliquid ur useing look for Diacetyl, Acetyl Propionyl, and Acetoin Free eliquid as there is a connection between these chemicals and popcorn lung. As for the news report your talking about its a load of rubbish!! I've had red hot eliquid spit in my eye of all places (don't ask lol) i washed it out and no ill affect came from it. Plus there's no way eliquid could spit in ur mouth and burn a hole in ur lung without burning your mouth or throat witch is what the man claimed happened! as a fellow vapour I'm sure you yourself have had ur ecig spit in your mouth it's not even hot enough to burn your tongue, the whole story was just laughable!!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Eh? Air is 80% Nitrogen. Plus the humidity. So you inhale water with every breath. Our lungs can handle small droplets just fine. I don't see people panic when there is fog out there.

Granted, air is only about 21% Oxygen but fog is NOT a vapor of PG/VG/flavoring/nicotine.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Unfortunately, as of today, nobody can answer your question. Might it prove to be a detriment to an athlete, especially long distance runners? It's possible. But we know that no more then if it actually turned out to be beneficial, especially to long distance runners. Wouldn't that be a kick were it to be banned one day as a performance enhancing system?

So best I have is to say it's your decision. Vape, stop, or experiment. Train for a month or two while vaping, then stop for a comparable period, and judge for yourself. Then again, you may have a coach who will gladly make the decision for you.

Good luck and report back should you come to a discernible conclusion.

Reactions: DC2 and ENAUD

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Eh? Air is 80% Nitrogen. Plus the humidity. So you inhale water with every breath. Our lungs can handle small droplets just fine. I don't see people panic when there is fog out there.
You do not inhale water droplets unless you are in a fog. And vaper's vapor is not water.

Reactions: Ed_C

Stinkytofus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2014
New York City
Well numbers aside, easily googled, the point is it is better to not inhale smoke or vapor if u are an athelete or care about ur health as these two arent something that benefits the body in any way besides for ur own enjoyment

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The "correct" and "safest" way to vape is to not inhale. Nic is absorbed through mucous membranes anyway. I try to draw into my mouth and inhale just far enough into the throat to blow out through the nose or back out through the mouth.

We all inhale here and there without thinking. There's an EPA limit on the number of hours in a day that entertainers, musicians, actors, and other people exposed to PG/VG fog can be around fog machines in a typical work period because PG and VG fog is a mild respiratory irritant.

Personally, I think that vaping is magnitudes safer than smoking. Plain old air is what our lungs were designed to work with, but they tolerate all the other contaminants in the air we breathe from cars, burning wood, cooking odors, and other chemicals.

Last edited:
Reactions: mattiem

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
The "correct" and "safest" way to vape is to not inhale. Nic is absorbed through mucous membranes anyway. I try to draw into my mouth and inhale just far enough into the throat to blow out through the nose or back out through the mouth.

We all inhale here and there without thinking. There's an EPA limit on the number of hours in a day that entertainers, musicians, actors, and other people exposed to PG fog can be around fog machines in a typical work period because PG and VG fog is an irritant.

Personally, I think that vaping is magnitudes safer than smoking. Plain old air is what our lungs were designed to work with, but they tolerate all the other contaminants in the air we breathe from cars, burning wood, cooking odors, and other chemicals.

"Correct"? Correct to who exactly?

*Citation Needed*

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread