Not open for further replies.

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
Hello All,
So, I have a question for you Hornet users.
I might be getting too .... but i have found a slight difference in vapor and flavor when I have the airhole over the coil facing the inside of my REO ( button on bottom using thumb) vs on top ( button on outside using my index finger)! I'm thinking it's because the coil build on a Hornet is on the side vs. the middle like a Chalize or REOmizer. With the coil on the side the juice comes out on that side so with gravity taking over it flows DOWN ! If it's facing down it seems different then when facing up. I have experimented with my coils trying the coil with the feeder hole post on the right side then trying with the feeder post on the left side so when I thread it back into the REO the air hole is facing up on the outside so the jiuce feed will flow down and across the surface of the atty as you tip the REO to vape. It seems to produce more flavor and vapor than if the airhole/coil is on the inside thus not flowing across the surface and entire wick when tipped. None of this is an issue with the feeder hole and coil/wick in the middle like a Chalice or Reomizer.
Is this question too confusing to follow? Does anyone relate to what I'm talking about or am I being too .... retentive????
:unsure:

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Hello All,
So, I have a question for you Hornet users.
I might be getting too .... but i have found a slight difference in vapor and flavor when I have the airhole over the coil facing the inside of my REO ( button on bottom using thumb) vs on top ( button on outside using my index finger)! I'm thinking it's because the coil build on a Hornet is on the side vs. the middle like a Chalize or REOmizer. With the coil on the side the juice comes out on that side so with gravity taking over it flows DOWN ! If it's facing down it seems different then when facing up. I have experimented with my coils trying the coil with the feeder hole post on the right side then trying with the feeder post on the left side so when I thread it back into the REO the air hole is facing up on the outside so the jiuce feed will flow down and across the surface of the atty as you tip the REO to vape. It seems to produce more flavor and vapor than if the airhole/coil is on the inside thus not flowing across the surface and entire wick when tipped. None of this is an issue with the feeder hole and coil/wick in the middle like a Chalice or Reomizer.
Is this question too confusing to follow? Does anyone relate to what I'm talking about or am I being too .... retentive????
:unsure:

Rudy, in my experience with the hornet, if the airhole pointed down, the draw was tightened by the juice flowing up and obstructing the hole when ya tip it.

I built it with the juice post on the right when looking straight at the RBA. I put the coil on the side facing me. When I threaded it on my mini, the coil would be on the opposite side of my button. So I had to learn to vape from it button pointing down and air hole point up.

It seemed to vape very well. The differences you point out are little subtleties that can have a huge impact on the way the RBA vapes. I also noticed that juice came out of both sides of the juice post. That is a good thing because juice hits more of the wick.

Shot thru cyberspace with my iGun

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
Rudy, in my experience with the hornet, if the airhole pointed down, the draw was tightened by the juice flowing up and obstructing the hole when ya tip it.

I built it with the juice post on the right when looking straight at the RBA. I put the coil on the side facing me. When I threaded it on my mini, the coil would be on the opposite side of my button. So I had to learn to vape from it button pointing down and air hole point up.

It seemed to vape very well. The differences you point out are little subtleties that can have a huge impact on the way the RBA vapes. I also noticed that juice came out of both sides of the juice post. That is a good thing because juice hits more of the wick.

Okay so I know now that I'm not losing my mind and there is a difference! :)
The way you mentioned is exactly the way I have mine now with the air hole facing up and button down. Great minds think alike!:toast:
Thanks for your input.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Okay so I know now that I'm not losing my mind and there is a difference! :)
The way you mentioned is exactly the way I have mine now with the air hole facing up and button down. Great minds think alike!:toast:
Thanks for your input.

Any time boss. I also notice if a cotton wick is too long, it can possibly obstruct the airport. I have observed my oversize wicks floating up in liquid. Something else to keep in mind.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Air hole position does make a big difference in my experience/opinion. I am kind of bummed as my new to me Chalice does not line up properly. The air hole lines up with a side post so i can not get the proper air flow on it. Still vapes ok but not like it should. :(

I can't tell where mine lines up. I never even thought about that! I will say that my V1 had the airhole enlarged. I hated it at first cause it was loose as hell, then I came to really dig it. My V2 does not and after using the loose one, its like sucking a Wendy's frosty thru a straw. I contemplated using the V1 cap on the new base but have started to get used to it being tight.

What I deduce is that draw tightness is something you acclimate to very quickly, however, you can compensate for an loose draw by hitting the fire button a second before you hit it to give the vapor a chance to accumulate in the chamber and then draw really slow.

Ratman is dead nuts on - air plays a major role in vape satisfaction, and as we learn to adjust it or adapt to it, we increase vape quality. Patience is key. Don't get your drill / file out until you experiment or give time to adapt.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
After reading Ratmans post, I checked mine when I got home. The airhole on mine is pointing up when the REO button side is oriented down. That would put it close to the post, but as you can see in the pic, it lets the air flow unobstructed over the diagonal plane of the coil. If it were to line up between the posts, the air would probably be disturbed by the wick and sort of "jump" the coil (that would be ok if it busted a sic no no footed backflip or something) so i think that the fact that the airhole is close to the post is a good thing.

If I wanted to adjust the position, i would painstakingly remove an oring from an era/hornet (assuming they would fit) and slide it down over the threads then tighten the cap as much or as little as neccy to position the hole where wanted?

aa coilair.jpg

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
With all this Hornet talk I can't wait till I get one from sweetheart Jan.:wub: I was about to buy one one but wasn't sure it would fit on my Teak Woodvil. Not the A7 or reomizer did so Im real excited to to find out and try it.

"You gonna love it" is the first thing that comes to mind.

lazyymatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2012
Las Vegas
Very interesting.... so it seems people use their Reos differently in that they hold it differently and use either their thumbs (button faced same side as the person) vs. using your index finger (button faced on opposite side of person)

I use my Reo with the button away from me so I press with my index finger to fire it up. I remember getting my Hornet and completely ran into that problem on the first day where my air hole ended up on side that faces towards me so that every time I tilted it to vape the airflow would be messed up. So when I opened it up I had to remember which side to put my coil... Kind of hard to explain without pictures but... I'm sure the posts for all Hornets are off to one side of the base I determined that from the edge of the base with the posts lined up straight up it was the RIGHT side that would make sure my coils would face upwards. Hopefully that makes sense...

Ratman: That SUCKSS in fact that makes me real worried about even getting a Chalice. I mean with the Reomizer I never lined up the hole with the coil (didn't really know I had to do that) but it always seemed to vape perfectly, With the Hornet that is a MUST otherwise it just sucks.

CATastrophe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2011
Purradise (NETN)
I've played with placement for the draw hole on the hornet, too. I usually vape with my left hand and use my thumb to hit the button. So for orientation, I am looking at the hornet as 6 o'clock position being where the firing button on the REO is. I like the airhole right across from the coil. When the hornet is screwed down, the coil posts make a line to about 4-5 o'clock. Then I have the airhole at a right angle to that so it roughly points to 2 o'clock. What I like about the hornet, is you can change where the airhole goes.

I never gave it much thought with the reomizer, either. It always vapes great. However, my airhole on it is at a right angle to the coil.

Ratman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2012
Tulsa OK
Been working a lot since I got my Chalice so I have not got to play with it as much as I would like. I started with a center z coil and the vape was very good. I did not pay attention to where it lined up since the coil was in the center anyway. I then tried a side mounted coil like I would with my ERA, Hornet or REOmizer and that is when I noticed the problem. As mentioned it makes a big difference on an ERA/Hornet. This still vaped good even with it off the side but seemed like it should be better. I put a small o-ring on it so I could line it up and the difference was immediately noticeable. Definitely more flavor and vapor with the air hole lined up with the coil.

Works great this way but should not have to use an o-ring to make a $160 atty perform right IMO. I may not even wind up using side coil as my go to setup on it, I am still experimenting, but it definitely irked me. I may be mistaken but I thought I had read that the perfect side alignment with the threads was one of the 'superior design' features of the Chalice.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
On my Chalice, picture the tall post at 3 o'clock and the shorter post at 9 o'clock.....the air hole on mine falls at 7 o'clock. Every time. It's near the short post, but slightly in front of it. It works great for me. When these first came out, Mark Bugs (maker) said that they were made to use the diagonal coil....crossing the middle hole. That configuration (for me) was a little more difficult/time consuming than just using a side coil (like on the ERA/Hornet) and I didn't really notice any (or much) difference, so that's how I install mine.

I think the Chalices are all the same (I don't think Mark left anything to chance) and are meant to be the way they are.... I think for sure (I read an email he sent to somebody back when in answer to the very question about optimal coil placement) that he intended coil to be crossing the center hole.

If your Chalices have the air hole at 7 o'clock (when the posts are at 3 and 9), I think that's totally the way it's supposed to be.

Jan

EDIT: We all started wrapping side coils when the ERA and A7s came available. Then the Hornet. I think any rebuildable with a center hole juice feed is optimal with the diagonal (crossing the center hole)
coil installation. If you'll notice on Rob's video of how to install a coil on the Reomizer, he uses the diagonal/across the juice hole installation. The side coil is just easier/faster so some of us (me, at least) just use that configuration on all our rbas in general.

Last edited:

Ratman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2012
Tulsa OK
Mine is more like 8 o'clock. Close enough to the post that I can't really just scootch the coil over to that side and get it to line up. I do not mean to criticize the maker but it does work noticeably better lined up at 6 o'clock. Doesn't seem like it would have taken much research to figure that out in R&D. Perhaps that 6 o'clock alignment compromises the vape with center coil setup tho. At least it is fixable and on a black and polished grand doesn't really look bad either. Sorry for the cruddy picture. Lighting sucks at my desk.

20130309_095541_zpsc7388299.jpg

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
After reading Ratmans post, I checked mine when I got home. The airhole on mine is pointing up when the REO button side is oriented down. That would put it close to the post, but as you can see in the pic, it lets the air flow unobstructed over the diagonal plane of the coil. If it were to line up between the posts, the air would probably be disturbed by the wick and sort of "jump" the coil (that would be ok if it busted a sic no no footed backflip or something) so i think that the fact that the airhole is close to the post is a good thing.

If I wanted to adjust the position, i would painstakingly remove an oring from an era/hornet (assuming they would fit) and slide it down over the threads then tighten the cap as much or as little as neccy to position the hole where wanted?

View attachment 185425

Both of my Chalice caps line up exactly the same. They are close to one of the posts but not right on it. I find it perfect if you build your coil diagonally instead of straight across. When the wick and coil are in the "Z" pattern the air hole is lined up right on the coil if you put the coil the right direction. If you put it the wrong direction but still in a Z it puts the end of the wick right up against the hole .... no air :(

I don't know if many have noticed but even the wire holes are drilled at an angle for the diagonal wick. Thats how I tell which way to angle it. The right way the wire slips right in .... the wrong way kinks the wire a bunch.

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
On my Chalice, picture the tall post at 3 o'clock and the shorter post at 9 o'clock.....the air hole on mine falls at 7 o'clock. Every time. It's near the short post, but slightly in front of it. It works great for me. When these first came out, Mark Bugs (maker) said that they were made to use the diagonal coil....crossing the middle hole. That configuration (for me) was a little more difficult/time consuming than just using a side coil (like on the ERA/Hornet) and I didn't really notice any (or much) difference, so that's how I install mine.

I think the Chalices are all the same (I don't think Mark left anything to chance) and are meant to be the way they are.... I think for sure (I read an email he sent to somebody back when in answer to the very question about optimal coil placement) that he intended coil to be crossing the center hole.

If your Chalices have the air hole at 7 o'clock (when the posts are at 3 and 9), I think that's totally the way it's supposed to be.

Jan

EDIT: We all started wrapping side coils when the ERA and A7s came available. Then the Hornet. I think any rebuildable with a center hole juice feed is optimal with the diagonal (crossing the center hole)
coil installation. If you'll notice on Rob's video of how to install a coil on the Reomizer, he uses the diagonal/across the juice hole installation. The side coil is just easier/faster so some of us (me, at least) just use that configuration on all our rbas in general.

Yep both of mine are exactly the same ... about 7:30 or 8 oclock with the the posts at 3&9
Its actually the perfect placement for it when you use a diagonal coil .... I like my coil right over the juice hole.

I don't find it more difficult .... unless your going 180 degrees opposite (the wrong way). Like I said above the wire holes are actually drilled at an angle and the will show you which wire should be going over or under which post.

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
and then there's me and my Chalice II. I actually don't pay attention to which way the hole is lined up. I pick up my mod and use it...sometimes with my right hand, sometimes my left. Sometimes I use my thumb to fire the button and sometimes my forefinger. For me it works the same regardless of how I hold my mod and where the hole is pointed. That is the biggest difference I have found in performance between the Chalice and the other RBAs. I simply just can't deny it... I am the epitome of lazy.

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
and then there's me and my Chalice II. I actually don't pay attention to which way the hole is lined up. I pick up my mod and use it...sometimes with my right hand, sometimes my left. Sometimes I use my thumb to fire the button and sometimes my forefinger. For me it works the same regardless of how I hold my mod and where the hole is pointed. That is the biggest difference I have found in performance between the Chalice and the other RBAs. I simply just can't deny it... I am the epitome of lazy.

A position we commonly share. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread