Hospital gives cig-addicted stroke patient nic patches

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
This may not be real news, but this is in a ferocious no-smoking city.

I went to the hospital yesterday to visit an old friend that had a stroke. It was sad because he was a great guitar player, and likely won't play again. He was a seriously addicted cig smoker for probably 40 years.

What was interesting, was that the hospital issued him nicotine patches as soon as he was admitted. If that is not a silent nod to nicotine at least being sort of acceptable, I don't know what is. It at least shows that they consider 'just nicotine' not to be a major health risk, at a time when his health was very bad. I demonstrated a PV to him in the room, he is very interested in vaping, I'll set him up with something.

--cross-posting a few places--

Jammin

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Washington DC
This may not be real news, but this is in a ferocious no-smoking city.

I went to the hospital yesterday to visit an old friend that had a stroke. It was sad because he was a great guitar player, and likely won't play again. He was a seriously addicted cig smoker for probably 40 years.

What was interesting, was that the hospital issued him nicotine patches as soon as he was admitted. If that is not a silent nod to nicotine at least being sort of acceptable, I don't know what is. It at least shows that they consider 'just nicotine' not to be a major health risk, at a time when his health was very bad. I demonstrated a PV to him in the room, he is very interested in vaping, I'll set him up with something.

--cross-posting a few places--

I just posted on another thread about a family member who was hospitalized off and on for at least the past decade for a mental disorder. He was ALWAYS given nic patches when admitted. It seemed commonplace there, as those patients who did not have outdoor priveledges yet (which I think was standard with new patients) were not able to smoke, so they provided the patch to help with withdrawals.

I don't think the medical community looks down on the patch, to the contrary, they find them very beneficial to patients who smoke.

Deblym

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2012
Sask
When someone is admitted where I work they are given the option of a patch, plus gum or an inhaler.... Or just gum or just an inhaler. Most patients choose the inhaler by itself. I think because it is closer to the real thing than the other two. they fo not have the option of going outside to smoke because the entire hospital grounds is smoke free and off property is rather far away.

Jammin

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Washington DC
When someone is admitted where I work they are given the option of a patch, plus gum or an inhaler.... Or just gum or just an inhaler. Most patients choose the inhaler by itself. I think because it is closer to the real thing than the other two. they fo not have the option of going outside to smoke because the entire hospital grounds is smoke free and off property is rather far away.

Seeing that the relative I mentioned was hospitalized several years ago since the last time, yea I imagine that would be true at the hospital he was in now as well. They probably also have a no smoking policy at this time even outside.

I know our local regular hospital also has adopted that practice.

katann23

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2011
Greensboro, NC
When I was in the hospital a few years ago, they gave me the patch and some ativan (I think so I wouldn't kill anyone since nicotine patches are *not* the same as smoking). Seemed like a pretty standard practice there. Of course, I was the dumb one who the moment I was released went and bought a pack of smokes. :p

Jammin

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Washington DC
When I was in the hospital a few years ago, they gave me the patch and some ativan (I think so I wouldn't kill anyone since nicotine patches are *not* the same as smoking). Seemed like a pretty standard practice there. Of course, I was the dumb one who the moment I was released went and bought a pack of smokes. :p

BUT, you have been smoke free 85.84 days...sounds like you are a SMART one. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread