Hotvapes exceeding amp limit on stock device

Status
Not open for further replies.

strugglinvape

Jun 25, 2015
Long time reader but first post;
I own a Hotvapes 650mah pen that came with a 1.8ohm coil in the package. When fully charged it puts out 3.7 V. If I am correct, at 650mah the amp limit should be 1.3 (650 * 2C = 1300). At 3.7 V and 1.8 ohms, the it is discharging at a rate of 2.06 amps. Is it safe to vape at over 150% of the amp limit? I do not feel safe using this at 1.8 ohms because basically everything I read says DO NOT exceed the amp limit. There are 2 vape stores in my area and I asked both of the owners if it was safe and they have never even heard of an amp limit. They even tried selling me a lower ohm atomizer. I do not think they have ever even used ohms law before. This is very disconcerting as I know they are selling high voltage batteries and low ohm atomizers to amateur vape customers without knowledge of ohms law. I basically had to teach them about ohm's law and how to calculate the amp limit. Am I missing something or possibly overreacting?

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
The ego battery should have protections in place preventing it from firing a build that's too low/will draw too much power.

Can really remember but my brain is telling me that most of the egos could handle about 2.5a draw, again just a fuzzy memory.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
You only need to be concerned about exceeding battery amp limits when using a mechanical mod. There is no protection circuitry in a mechanical mod, so when you press the fire button it will attempt to fire any ohm coil regardless of the amp limit of the battery. Exceeding that amp limit could cause the battery to go into thermal runaway.

The battery device that you are using I suspect is a regulated battery device - an eGo style battery. It has a protective chip inside which will prevent the battery from firing a coil which is not within the safe range of the chip or battery. You have no reason to be worrying about a regulated battery device.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Again, ego type batteries have amp limits that they will not exceed, short circuit protection and over charge & under discharge protection.
Occasionally one, some or all of the protections might malfunction or fail, it is quite rare.

Usually when an ego type malfunction occurs it is due to damage, abuse, tampering, Using the wrong or malfunctioning charger, high heat, poor or no maintanance.

strugglinvape

Jun 25, 2015
Again, ego type batteries have amp limits that they will not exceed, short circuit protection and over charge & under discharge protection.
Occasionally one, some or all of the protections might malfunction or fail, it is quite rare.

Usually when an ego type malfunction occurs it is due to damage, abuse, tampering, Using the wrong or malfunctioning charger, high heat, poor or no maintanance.
I understand that now. I would just prefer not to push my battery to those fail safes. I trust my math more than what a manufacturer tells me and more than fail safes that work say 99.9% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread