Houston, we have leakage

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnFettered_Soul

Exalted Grand High Poobah
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Which I KNOW is user error.
The Ody is my first rebuildable of any sort.
The first one I made, I tested with my digital multimeter set to ohms, but never got a steady reading.
I did sorta "cheat" and screwed it on my ProVari, which told me it was 2.5.
Not a huge concern, it was more of a practice anyway, and I was running the GG with 2 16340s.
6v according to the notes I keep on my desk. (yes I really do)
It was actually vaping just fine, until I went to refill the tank part.
I must have knocked something loose, because juice just ran out the bottom.

So, since I had to clean up anyway, took a second shot at building the coil.
Still using the vids as reference, since the hubby claims his "fingers are too big to mess with it",
I did a second. Didn't fire at all.
Did a third, didn't fire at all.
Haven't tested for leakage again, as I didn't think it was worth filling for tank for a coil that isn't firing.

Now, you guys can't see what I'm doing, but any tips you can throw my way are greatly appreciated.
I loved it for the few hours I had it working, and I don't want to waste any more material that came with it.
Thanks!!

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
If your second and third coils were the same resistance or lower, it's possible the coil just got too hot and popped the connection between the res wire and silver wire, particularly if you fired them dry at that voltage.

As for the leakage, maybe you didn't have the rebuildable part tight enough and unscrewed it a little when adjusting the mouthpiece . . . actually, I just had a thought, did you close the juice control (tighten the mouthpiece) before refilling? If not, this could be why the juice ran right through it

UnFettered_Soul

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
If your second and third coils were the same resistance or lower, it's possible the coil just got too hot and popped the connection between the res wire and silver wire, particularly if you fired them dry at that voltage.

As for the leakage, maybe you didn't have the rebuildable part tight enough and unscrewed it a little when adjusting the mouthpiece . . . actually, I just had a thought, did you close the juice control (tighten the mouthpiece) before refilling? If not, this could be why the juice ran right through it

Thanks.....
Actually, the second was later that evening, after cooking dinner.
The third was this afternoon. I think I just did something wrong.

I agree with you on the leakage. The first fill, everything was together except the very top piece.
The second fill, I had taken off the mouthpiece to fill and very possibly didn't get it tight enough or loosened the ceramic piece when I took off the mouthpiece.

So.... I'm back to the videos and hunting pics to compare with what I'm doing.

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
The second fill, I had taken off the mouthpiece to fill and very possibly didn't get it tight enough or loosened the ceramic piece when I took off the mouthpiece.

Ah, there is a problem: don't remove the mouthpiece to fill. Any juice you get in the ceramic cup will go right down the air hole in the connector, the mouthpiece acts as a gate either allowing or preventing fluid from getting into that portion ;-) Screw the mouthpiece down all the way and just remove the top cap (that sits on top of the tank body) and fill alongside the mouthpiece.

And FWIW, my first coil barely lasted long enough for one fill. It's pretty easy to make the wick and coil setup, in general, but does still take some practice to make one that will last. Particularly if you have no prior experience with this sort of thing ;-)

VPDownunder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2010
Tasmania, Australia
I don't have my ody's yet, hopefully end of next week, I do have Iatty's. As long as you take care with the twisting as per Imeo's vids and leave the nr wire a bit longer than needed you can just trim the nr wires after they are in place. If you still can't get a coil to work and they aren't just popping then it sounds like a possible short, if this is the cast completely disassemble the ody and check everything is there and reassemble as per the vids and you should be good to go again.

Zogem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta
Thanks killjoy.
Since the first one, I haven't managed to make one that will even fire, never mind last.
I don't know if my ends aren't long enough to make a connection, and the wire breaks so darn easy.
I'm about to give up.
Took me three to get it right..First simply fell apart... second one blew out at one the connection points, third was the keeper.

Reminds me of the monty python scene about building a castle on a swamp ;)

Things I learned...

Twist the connection points and twist them well, well enough that you can trim them down. A stray wire is your worst enemy here...

Make sure the lower attachment is UNDER the wick when you attach to the bottom thread.. Once that's done, check conitinutty between the atty body, and the pin. There should be none.

It's a tricky proposition that gets easier as you get used to it. If you think the wire building is the problem, nhaler.com sells pre-made wires, but hard to say if the wire, or the assembly is the problem.

You'll get there. Post pictures if need be.. We're all rootin' for ya'.

-Z

UnFettered_Soul

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Ok.... it's not pretty, but I believe I have it working again.

Conclusion 1, when I took the mouthpiece off to re-fill, I made something else loose, and juice everywhere.
Don't do that. LOL

Conclusion 2, at least one attempt I didn't leave myself enough of an end to twist around the lower post, use longer wire.
Conclusion 3, at least 2 attempts, I have the R wire as one end and the NR wire as the other end, wouldn't fire, don't do that either.

No clue how long this one will last, but it's working for now.

Where does one buy extra R, NR wire and wick?
Guess I should have looked into that earlier huh?
Thanks for the help guys....

Zogem

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta
Ok.... it's not pretty, but I believe I have it working again.

Conclusion 1, when I took the mouthpiece off to re-fill, I made something else loose, and juice everywhere.
Don't do that. LOL

Conclusion 2, at least one attempt I didn't leave myself enough of an end to twist around the lower post, use longer wire.
Conclusion 3, at least 2 attempts, I have the R wire as one end and the NR wire as the other end, wouldn't fire, don't do that either.

No clue how long this one will last, but it's working for now.

You never take the mouth piece off to refill. Actually you lock it down. you take the tank top and top cap off and fill, separate the two add the tank top, get the O-ring in place, then add the top cap, else flood it, and it will bottom drain.

Edit: take them off separately.. if the top cap is secured twisting the tank top will also twist the mouth piece, flooding the atty.

Glad you got it working.... happy vaping!

-Z

Last edited:

dspin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
USA
Last edited by a moderator:

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US

ebay is a good source for large quantities. I have a 75' spool of kanthal I got dirt cheap there, though so far on Ody I've only been using the included supplies. You can always get supplies from CoV, too. Both wires and the wick can be found under "iatty parts and accessories"
iAtty - Parts and Accessories - USA Only

womblebat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2008
UK
I was having some major leaking problems with the odysseus, i did however track it down

The metal surround that holds the ceramic has an o-ring at it's base, this wasn't fitted correctly and was squashed out at one side, i took it apart, lubricated the o-ring with food grade silicone and screwed it backtogether making sure it sat correctly all the way round, zero problems ever since, if anyone else has leaking problems check the o-rings, small adjustment but it's made a massive difference

Last edited:

Rick.45cal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2011
Lakeland Florida
Unfettered there are a couple of tricks I have learned... do's and don'ts.

Don't use any tool (other than your fingers) to hold the wires while twisting, if you use forceps or small pliars you will weaken the wires and they will break eventually (sooner than later)

make sure that the twists with the resistance wire are complete, don't leave a lone tag end of res wire, it can get hot enough to melt the silver wire, thus breaking your connection. So if there is a little left over trim back to where the silver and res. wire are well twisted. Then twist that connection back onto the NR wire :)

Odysseus most likely dumped out of the bottom, because the ceramic didn't get screwed all the way in, past the point of the oring at the bottom causing the initial resistance. Get that sucker down in there good, then screw the knurled ring down tight once the "guts" are tight. When this is secure, you don't have to worry about the cone unscrewing the guts and your juice leaking out

when you remove the cap, you have to screw the mouthpiece closed, otherwise when you screw the cap back in, the airpressure will push juice into the atomizer, and you will gurgle for a bit (still vapes, but you have to close the cone so it doesn't flood)

It takes some practice, and having some extra resistance wire, and NR wire in the beginning is helpful. As your supplies get smaller you try to save as much as possible which makes the process more stressful, much more difficult, and certainly more frustrating! I recommend until you get good, once you get a coil going good, make another so when you have to change it, there is no stress, just pop it in and go. Then you can build coils while you happily vape on Odysseus, and take your time and be methodical in the beginning. Once you get the hang of it, you will be making them in no time! I'm pretty sure I could make one in the dark if I had to LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread