Status
Not open for further replies.

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
With the explosion of pod users doing DIY, I think its time for an added category in this section. Since the mixture, strength, and most of the time the type of nicotine is different, I think it would be confusing without a separate category to keep them apart form other DIY. Maybe if there is enough interest the admins can make that happen.

• Creative
Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
It would still be about the same as any MTL recipie though. There just isn’t much functional difference between the average pod mod and say, an old ego carto device. Such recipes are generally nicotine strength independent anyway. Protonated nicotine mixes the same as non protonated nicotine. The only difference is protonated nicotine may or may not (kinda curious about this bit) be affected the same way by steeping. In any event, one can put protonated juice in a regular device as easily as a pod.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I personally don't alter my DIY recipes for use in my pods. I use the same eliquids in any of my set-ups.
I don’t either. There may (or may not be) some argument to do so though.
lower volume MTL and higher volume (hotter which is seeming to have become an overly vague term) DL as well as warmer and cooler vapes do seem to behave differently with a different juice. I suspect this is why there are often umteen different versions of similar flavors. That and flat out personal taste of course. Deciding it into pod or not pod has almost nothing to do with the actual qualities that might affect a vape.

Reactions: stols001

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I would agree, the only difference would be the base, really. If for whatever reason someone needs to, they can specify pods only. I don’t see a need to have a sub forum to a sub forum for every device, or where would you draw the line?

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
I don't use a pod, but do diy for a few who only vape pods. They all prefer a high nic salt around 50mg with a flavor punch. Quoting my friend "I just want a discrete hit and not think about for an hour or so, and 6mg of freebase is not doing it". She brought me some juice made for a pod it really surprised they were selling 55mg flavored eliquid. The big interest has came because most sweet flavored juul pods have disappeared from convenience stores in my area. I get what you are saying about using what you normally use in your other devices, cause that is what you are addicted to, me too. I can hit a high nicsalts juul and still want my freebase mix.

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Quoting my friend "I just want a discrete hit and not think about for an hour or so, and 6mg of freebase is not doing it". She brought me some juice made for a pod it really surprised they were selling 55mg flavored eliquid. The big interest has came because most sweet flavored juul pods have disappeared from convenience stores in my area. I get what you are saying about using what you normally use in your other devices, cause that is what you are addicted to, me too.

Regarding the parts I made bold above - Maybe I'm misunderstanding something. Because you don't need "pod specific" recipes to make eliquids for her, at whatever nic mg level she's used to buying and still wants. You just use nic salts, instead of regular freebase nic, in any recipe. Just fill in the required info in the eliquid calculator (making sure to input her higher desired resulting nic mg) and follow the generated recipe (as usual).

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Regarding the parts I made bold above - Maybe I'm misunderstanding something. Because you don't need "pod specific" recipes to make eliquids for her, at whatever nic mg level she's used to buying and still wants. You just use nic salts, instead of regular freebase nic, in any recipe. Just fill in the required info in the eliquid calculator (making sure to input her higher desired resulting nic mg) and follow the generated recipe (as usual).

I was just mixing yesterday, and made up some high salts juice from recipes I’d used for RTAs.

Granted they need a steep. However, although the viscosity is different of course, they smell and, so far anyway, taste the same.

My RTA juice is 25/75 6 mg/ml freebase, and I made the pod juice @ 40 pg/60vg 25 mg/ml. Same percentage on the flavors.

I would say, if I used a higher nic on the freebase, it would probably taste more peppery than the salts. But @6 I can’t taste a difference.

I only did a couple recipes so far, so I’ll let you guys know my results when I do others. I expect most flavors to work the same though.

Anyone else try it yet?

Another thing I want to try is mixing freebase with salts. Because I too find that salts have a different affect on me than freebase. Salts are great for those craving hard moments, but don’t seem to last long. Freebase holds me over for a long time.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The only thing I can think of that would prompt this um, idea, I will call it would be the absolutely ridiculous and rather sinister, unholy alliance between salt juice manufacturers and pod systems saying they stuff is "Spshul."

Guess what it is not special, it's not hard to DIY and GUESS WHAT? They are using the exact same flavorings as the rest of us, perhaps a higher IPG ratio than SOME juices (but not all.)

If you can't figure out how to make a "pod" recipe in the current forum, you need some DIY help. Because it is simply a higher strength salt nicotine and maybe a slightly different PG/VG ratio... MAYBE.

You can take any recipe and salt it. I have been using nic salts since I started DIY (my throat was torn up since I got here) and I have never had to change a single recipe.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread