How can I get rid of room smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Spectacular

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2013
Philadelphia
So HRH is very very supportive of my vaping, and loves that I no longer use the analogs, but she simply can't stand the room smell of any of the flavors I vape. She's still supportive, and is not breaking my stones about it at all, but I know that it makes her miserable. I do my best to only vape in 'my' room when I know she's going to be in the house within the next hour, and leaving the window open solves the problem. However, it's getting colder, and the window is becoming less and less of an option. I've seen several products on Amazon that seem like they might work for me, but I'm wondering if any of my kindred here have tried any of these products (I'm thinking some kind of fan/filter system, sprays will just exacerbate the problem) and found them to work well.

Thanks!

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
DH had a flavor that just drove me crazy! I simply asked him to please find another flavor that we can both tolerate and when that flavor was gone he did. Some smells just affect us differently.

You don't have to vape flavored. Get some unflavored and see if that helps. If it doesn't, it isn't the smell at all and nothing is going to help her get over it.

Then you will need to get an air filter, and the above mention of a HEPA is a good bet. HEPA's kept my place from smelling too badly of cigarettes (or so I was told when I smoked, and now that I don't there isn't any lingering cigarette smell)

Last edited:

Tony Spectacular

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2013
Philadelphia
For her I'd vape unflavored, but I'd really rather try another way first, as I really love the flavors. I'd probably stop vaping fairly soon after I started vaping unflavored. I'm working my way down to 0 nic, and currently plan on continuing to vape well after that move. Thanks, though.

I do know about HEPA filters, I'm just wondering if anyone has tried a particular (hopefully inexpensive) model that they've found to be effective.

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
There is a product called Odo-Ban. It works really well to eliminate smells. It has a lot of uses too! I know you said sprays make it worse, but the Odo-Ban should not.

I also think the unflavored might be a viable solution. Just for when she is around of course!

That is a good point also, I didn't notice that the smell lingered, it was only when he was vaping that I got the smell.

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
Well...what are some of her favorite...uh...smells? I like lighter colored juices so I vape a lot of strawberry, blueberry, etc. (mostly of the menthol variety). Wife, kids, and co-workers love the smells (especially the strawberry).

I tried a potpourri vape once but it tasted like...well...potpourri.

Wes F.

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2013
Guam
My wife doesn't mind the smell of any of mine, thankfully. I always have her smell the vapor after I make a new flavor and ask her opinion of what it smells like. For my straight menthol / koolada one she says there is ZERO smell. Tastes great too and gives a lot of throat hit for those moments when I used to still crave an analog. You should try it.

1.5% TFA Menthol
.75% TFA Koolada
60/40 PG/VG

Nice cold vape!

Big Hitter

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2010
Binghamton, NY
Yes what flavors are you vaping ..... I can't believe she doesn't like any of them.

My wife loves the smell of 99% of what I vape. And she is very sensitive to smells. She won't use perfume and goes out of her way to find hair products and deodorant that is mild to zero smell.

Does your wife like the smell of food in the house? It just seems to me that if she says she cant stand any of them that there might me something else going on. Maybe instead of trying different flavors you should sit down and have an honest talk with her. Just maybe she is not as supportive as you think she is.

Tony Spectacular

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2013
Philadelphia
I can totally understand why you would feel that way, Big Hitter, but trust me, it's not the issue. She is just very sensitive to smell. For example, the smell of ANY yankee candle makes her feel ill. It's just something about artificial scents. She gets headaches and nausea. Some people are sensitive, I guess. The only scents she can bear are essential oils. It's weird, I know, but I can most certainly live with it. And like I said in the beginning, she doesn't give me a hard time about it. I just know that it's bothering her, but she doesn't want to complain because she doesn't want to see me go back to analogs. I'm trying to look out for her, not end some kind of nagging.

So, yeah, room deodorizer device recommendations, anyone? If not, I think i'm going to try this : Amazon.com - Hamilton Beach TrueAir Room Odor Eliminator

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
Would your wife be averse to wearing one of these?
gas-mask-solo-web.jpg

Vapolith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I can totally understand why you would feel that way, Big Hitter, but trust me, it's not the issue. She is just very sensitive to smell. For example, the smell of ANY yankee candle makes her feel ill. It's just something about artificial scents. She gets headaches and nausea. Some people are sensitive, I guess. The only scents she can bear are essential oils. It's weird, I know, but I can most certainly live with it. And like I said in the beginning, she doesn't give me a hard time about it. I just know that it's bothering her, but she doesn't want to complain because she doesn't want to see me go back to analogs. I'm trying to look out for her, not end some kind of nagging.

So, yeah, room deodorizer device recommendations, anyone? If not, I think i'm going to try this : Amazon.com - Hamilton Beach TrueAir Room Odor Eliminator

Maybe try some natural, organic liquids?

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
Many odors, fragrances, oils, etc, used to set my migraines off. I was on preventive meds for decades, terrible side effects, yet better than 3-5 debilitating migraines a week. Although I had a few migraines a year the virtually chronic, continuous migraines didn't start up till my late 30's. That being said, one of my most favorite foods, all my life has been onions, almost any kind. When the frequent migraines abruptly started one major trigger was onion oils. So the reaction was "in my head" yet not in the sense of the labels people use frivolously.

I'm still sensitive to many odors but most usually they set off my migraine vertigo. Now that I don't get the painful migraines two months ago I got really brave and prepped up 20 lbs of onions for precooking a bit and freezing. Throughout I had to stop and sit down because of migraine vertigo and was unable to drive for over a day. After that I lost the ability to smell and taste several of my favorite things and still can't smell or taste them.

That's neurological and not my imagination. Saying all of this because your dear wife may have something real going on.

That being said, I can only vape a very few flavors without getting dizzy, nauseated, stuffy, etc. The only flavors I can really tolerate are butterscotch based with a few hints of vanilla, cinnamon, and a few others thrown in lightly for variation.

I'm also sensitive to flavorants, food coloring, and oils by getting skin rashes, even from airborn, and/or lips, tongue, throat swelling, and lung congestion. (Yeah, most of the time I need to be in a bubble.)

You might be highly surprised by how good non flavored nic juice does taste and feel.

That being said, lots of air movement around the house helps a lot. Ceiling fans all over. Just don't ever let the air stop moving. When I did a vaping video I had to turn off 8 fans in the downstairs part of house to the vapor wouldn't immediately blow off. Yet I can't stand much air blowing directly on me so movement facilitators are strategically placed.

We use sonic air cleaners near where we sit for TV and sitting work and near beds, and air filtration around the house. Our central AC/furnace has three layers of filters.

Keep the air moving is best bet.

I might add that although I'm extremely sensitive to many, many things, and have been since birth, most animal hair and dander doesn't bother me much; only a little itching and rashes at worst. Pollen, dirt, dust, barnyard, etc., are little problem. In fact I've lived with 6-12 Large and GIANT country housedogs, for over 30 years but we only have five now. They let us live in their kennel. I'm frequently around new world monkeys with no issues but I once had anaphylaxis from Rhesus Moneky dander so I avoid enclosed spaces with old world monkeys. (AnaKit is my constant companion.)

A small air filter won't do a lot if you are vaping close to the Mrs. Get some air movement going and try some of the suggestions others have given.

I'm so on your side here and feel for ya.

The Feisty

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
There is a product called Odo-Ban. It works really well to eliminate smells. It has a lot of uses too! I know you said sprays make it worse, but the Odo-Ban should not.

I also think the unflavored might be a viable solution. Just for when she is around of course!

Odoban is one of the few products I can use that didn't set off my odor migraines or current migraine vertigo. Although the original formula has eucalyptus on label, and decorative eucalyptus set off my migraines, Odoban never did. I use it in my Scooba floor washing Robots, an army of them, all running downstairs at once, and the smell never triggered migraines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread