How can I minimize dry burn hits on AGA-t2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckone180

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Try using 3/32 SS cable with a Nextel silica topper about 3/8" over the SS cable. Then wrap your coil on the silica top. This will get you a nice set up that can last a while, and no hot spots or dry burns until you run out of liquid.

If you are using SS mesh alone, I find it best to roll an almost solid wick of 400 or 500 and pre torched. I often tilt, so I do not get dry burns.

Ginopr82

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2013
Pompano Beach, FL, USA
Try using 3/32 SS cable with a Nextel silica topper about 3/8" over the SS cable. Then wrap your coil on the silica top. This will get you a nice set up that can last a while, and no hot spots or dry burns until you run out of liquid.

If you are using SS mesh alone, I find it best to roll an almost solid wick of 400 or 500 and pre torched. I often tilt, so I do not get dry burns.
Do you have any picture of the setup? What a Nextel silica topper?

Ginopr82

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2013
Pompano Beach, FL, USA

I am using an SS mesh alone right now

Ginopr82

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2013
Pompano Beach, FL, USA
AKA wicking issue. it wicks but can't keep up...

I read your blog in part 1 in Wrap Coil I don't follow the process of cleaning up tension. "hold both ends of coil and wick and twist to tighten up a little, applying inward pressure like you were trying to make the coiled portion shorter." I can't picture it. Is there a video or can you better explain please

eHuman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
San Diego
Push the coil together and twist the ends to tension it, then let go. It will "bounce back" a bit. It can help if you have one or more loops that are bigger than the others.

In the end the main goal it that your coil have uniform light contact with the wick. You don't want coil to wick gaps, and you don't want the coil biting into the wick. Tightening the nut on the positive post causes this and is responsible for hot spots more times than not. That is why I gently pull back on the wick and coil prior to tightening the top nut ( I pre-allow for the extra pulling the nut causes).

Last edited:

Ginopr82

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2013
Pompano Beach, FL, USA
Push the coil together and twist the ends to tension it, then let go. It will "bounce back" a bit. It can help if you have one or more loops that are bigger than the others.

In the end the main goal it that your coil have uniform light contact with the wick. You don't want coil to wick gaps, and you don't want the coil biting into the wick. Tightening the nut on the positive post causes this and is responsible for hot spots more times than not. That is why I gently pull back on the wick and coil prior to tightening the top nut ( I pre-allow for the extra pulling the nut causes).
Sorry to be a pain just want fully understand this. When you say twist the ends do you mean pull each end in opposite directions to tighten coil or do you literally mean twist the end and by doing so it will tighten it. If so won't the the ends snap if I start twisting on them? Thanks for your help

eHuman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
San Diego
First push the coils together, then pull each end lightly to tighten them up. Many times this is not even necessary, it's just a fix for a whompy coil. The reverse is true too: if your coil is a little too tight on the wick press coils together and turn in the opposite direction a little to ease the pressure on the wick.

Ginopr82

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2013
Pompano Beach, FL, USA
First push the coils together, then pull each end lightly to tighten them up. Many times this is not even necessary, it's just a fix for a whompy coil. The reverse is true too: if your coil is a little too tight on the wick press coils together and turn in the opposite direction a little to ease the pressure on the wick.
Thanks a million. This info has been amizingly helpful. I can't wait to try it. I had a moment of clarity this morning and was able to picture what you meant by twist the coil. Thanks a bunch. I wish there was a way to blog this thread. I would do it.

eHuman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
San Diego
There are many things that accumulate to building a well performing quality wick and coil. You can do them all correctly and still get hot spots if you let the top coil leg bite into the mesh when you tighten down the positive nut. That is why I pull my wick away from vertical, opposite from the post by about 1/8", then tighten the top nut and you can actually see the wick get pulled towards the center post. Doing it this way ensures that your wick ends up vertical, not leaning towards the post (a sure sign that there is excess stress on the coil/wick and a recipe for hot spot disaster).

For reference:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread