How can the media do a story and be so uninformed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Dr. Marc Siegel: E-cigarettes pose special danger to teens

They throw the words "may" and "gateway" without any supporting data. It's insane that there is little or no research completed by the main stream media anymore.
I place the blame squarely on the public. Seems people want news to be entertaining rather than informative and unbiased. I do find the the fact that opposing views aren't shown disturbing though. Reporter's just don't do the homework anymore. It's our own fault for not demanding more from them. Too many are content to just read a headline anymore.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
Agree not "uninformed". Not only promoting an agenda, it is click bait for ad revenue too.

That's an accurate statement and I take the bait only because I always feel compelled to leave a comment telling a more accurate story and point out inaccuracies. I know it probably has little impact but it makes me feel better ;) and leaves a little trail of truth behind to screw up their story.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Objective media went away with Nixon. The pols were like, "Oh, this journalism thing has power!" and promptly began conscripting it.

I had to explain all that to my kiddo, starting with "muckraking." OMG, that made me sad, the kiddo had no idea what it was. I guess we don't teach about "real" journalism anymore, because we don't want to interrupt the propaganda.

The words "may" "could" or anything else don't belong in objective journalism. If it is not fact based, it is not journalism any longer.

I find it really upsetting at times, but I also think at some point, I have hopes it may change. Social media worsened the problem, certainly, but I point my finger straight at the political persons who decided to just go ahead and do that. It does at times seem worse every day, but I subject myself to a variety of "journalistic sources" in order to try and figure out what is ACTUALLY going on, by listening to both sides. It's a lot of effort, frankly.

Anna

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
There's more than two, I'm quite sure. I only have so much time and patience. LOL.

If I really want to "know" something, for sure, that's going to take me about 2 weeks of intensive "drilling down" into various areas of the internet, using various search engines, including Encarta.

Some stuff, I just don't want to spend the time. :p For my next book (if I ever freaking get there) I'm writing a novel about a bunch of lobbyists. I already have a ton of book and other material lined up.

I fully expect to be HORRIFIED. But, in a good way, I really enjoy flawed characters, and I think I have found my "cast of characters." I plan to put them in very, very unpleasant situations. LOLZ.

Anna

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

KatlandKat

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2012
Vancouver Island BC Canada
That's an accurate statement and I take the bait only because I always feel compelled to leave a comment telling a more accurate story and point out inaccuracies. I know it probably has little impact but it makes me feel better ;) and leaves a little trail of truth behind to screw up their story.
I used to do those comments trying to set the record straight but it is so stressful reading that crap I just gave up. Time will tell if the true info on them comes out in the future but right now it is all about an agenda not about what is true or not. Once in a while I will tweet something that I feel is important for Canadians to know or at least the vapers to know. I never tweet a link to a negative story as it just puts it up higher on google searches

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Objective media went away with Nixon. The pols were like, "Oh, this journalism thing has power!" and promptly began conscripting it.

I had to explain all that to my kiddo, starting with "muckraking." OMG, that made me sad, the kiddo had no idea what it was. I guess we don't teach about "real" journalism anymore, because we don't want to interrupt the propaganda.

The words "may" "could" or anything else don't belong in objective journalism. If it is not fact based, it is not journalism any longer.

I find it really upsetting at times, but I also think at some point, I have hopes it may change. Social media worsened the problem, certainly, but I point my finger straight at the political persons who decided to just go ahead and do that. It does at times seem worse every day, but I subject myself to a variety of "journalistic sources" in order to try and figure out what is ACTUALLY going on, by listening to both sides. It's a lot of effort, frankly.

Anna

If a news story says something “may” do something, there is no evidence that it actually does, or else they would just report that it does. Just like if the headline is a question, the answer is always “no.”

It's easy to blame the media, but I think the true problem is that "may" and "could" don't belong in scientific studies/press releases.

I keep thinking how we must all look screaming "TRUTH" against the likes of the FDA, CDC, ALA, ACA, etc.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
It's easy to blame the media, but I think the true problem is that "may" and "could" don't belong in scientific studies/press releases.

I keep thinking how we must all look screaming "TRUTH" against the likes of the FDA, CDC, ALA, ACA, etc.

In this day and age Lessifer I guess your right, looking for truth in government and knowledgeable and factual reporting is a thing of the past.

Damn shame! Ethics, honesty and integrity in our society as it pertains to the government and the press is unfortunately absent.

Last edited:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
In this day and age Lessifer I guess your right, looking for truth in government and knowledgeable and factual reporting is a thing of the past.

Damn shame! Ethics, honesty and integrity in our society as it pertains to the government and the press is unfortunately absent.
I just meant that many journalists would consider fact checking with the FDA, CDC, ACS, etc. as due diligence. John Q. Scientist's snarky blog refuting tobacco control studies would not be considered by most as a credible source, and let's face it, that's what we have unless they happen to look outside of the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread