• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

How can the regular folks help? - Treats for troops!

Status
Not open for further replies.

capecodjim

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2010
Cape Cod
There's a thread asking how the vendors can help....

How can us regular people help? We all appreciate what you're doing for us and I'm sure there are plenty who would like to help out in some way.

If you're stationed in some remote location (or even local) and need anything that you can't get or find, you can post here and anyone who wants to volunteer to help can PM you for the details of what you need and where to send it.

Whether it's vaping supplies, personal items, stuff to eat, books, DVD's, things you miss and can't find...whatever.... Let us know and chances are someone here will be happy to send you what you need!

Thanks for keeping us safe!

oldsoldier

Retired ECF Forum Manager
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
Lurking in the shadows
www.reboot-n.com
Though you would probably need to get more direct input from the guys downrange I can give you my insights from lots of years spent deployed.

When a deployment first happens the guys have totally different needs than after we have had troops there for a period of time. Once the bases get set and AAFES shows up, there isn't the huge shortage of basic creature comfort items like in the beginning. IE: In the first months of deployment things like AA batteries are hugely appreciated, but with time the guys can get them readily.

Things that the guys can't get easily are the simple things we all take for granted. A friend that is non judgmental and not too nosy (in the morbid rubbernecking at the crash style) and not in the military really makes for a "better" day at mail call. Be aware that even though we all love homemade cookies and stuff like that ,there are sick people out there that would do harm to the troops. Many of us would never consider consuming something sent in the mail from someone that isn't family. (unless it was a safety sealed commercially available item). Something from home is also good, like local newspapers if mom isn't alreasy sending them :)

So if I was going to send a care package to a deployed vaper I would consider things like extra attys/empty cartos batteries and other expendable items. I wouldn't send em an unmarked 3 ml sample of my favorite juice, but I might consider tossing in a 10 ml bottle that has the suppliers label and seal if the guy knew me and was comfortable with it.

These are just my thoughts as a vet that has been deployed many times over the course of my career, take it for what you will.

cobaltblue

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2010
A cabin in the woods and loving it
Wish I knew too. I figured by this time we'd have many pages filled with possible suggestions on what to send, and our PM boxes would be filled with names/addys to ship them to. I was hoping to send off stuff like snacks, DVDs, etc. the first time, then just ask them which things they'd like most before the next box went out.

Iluvthearmy

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
The Desert
Tell you guys what, when I go into work tomorrow I will gather all the info I can on how to get packages sent. I know there are several organizations that collect packages from awesome folks like yourselves that are willing to part with a box of cheezits for us. But there may be a way to circumvent that. I deploy again in a couple months, but untill then feel free to hit me up with any questions and I will answer (as much as I legally can cause the army loves it's secrets).if someone knows a way to set up a steady stream of liquids for DIY stuff without me having to contact them for every order like recurring payments or something. that would be great-not asking for free stuff, just a way to keep me and my 10 fellow vapers in my plt going without access to the internet.

Last edited:

cskent

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Ohio
I was just wondering if you've tried setting something up with a supplier? Just go right to the source and see if they can set up something for you to receive regular shipments.

You might also be able to talk one of them into putting a donate page on their website so people can just tack on an extra bottle of juice, an atty, or whatever, to their order and have it sent to people on a list of deployed vapers. Not only would it benefit those in need, the vendor would make extra sales, get some word of mouth advertising, and probably some new customers. Just thinkin out loud.

capecodjim

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2010
Cape Cod
-not asking for free stuff, just a way to keep me and my 10 fellow vapers in my plt going without access to the internet.

That's exactly the spirit this thread was started with. With all you folks have going on, extras like vape supplies prolly get lost in the shuffle. There are plenty who'll help keep people supplied if they know what to send and where to send it and they may throw in some other goodies or sweets also. It's not (only) about sending stuff for free, it's about getting you what you need when you need it. It's just a small way we can show our appreciation for keeping us safe. Anyone who needs anything please don't hesitate to post here or PM anyone who posts offering. It doesn't even have to relate to vaping, if there's anything you need and don't have or can't find let us know. Take us up on it! We wouldn't offer if we didn't want to help out. A lot of people have extra vaping supplies on hand or have the time and resources to send what you need.

Iluvthearmy

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
The Desert
I found that the only way to send actual sanctioned care packages (by a name and adress list) is to actually donate goods or time to the many organizations that put together those cool little goody boxes. Other than that the army doesn't like giving out deployed addresses (tight @$$e$). cskent, that is a very very good idea about the vendors. Trouble is that I am completely inept as far as business offers or proffesional transactions are concerned..guess I've done the army thing too long.
capecodjim, I think I might just go ahead and take you guys up on that, because we had a briefing today informing us that we will not have ANY access to internet untill atleast 8 months in...sorry this is so long, but thank you guys. You really don't know how friggin cool it is to come back to post after 3 days out and get a little goody box from a stranger even if the candy is melted it's the best part of the week.

GummiBear

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2010
USA
I found that the only way to send actual sanctioned care packages (by a name and adress list) is to actually donate goods or time to the many organizations that put together those cool little goody boxes. Other than that the army doesn't like giving out deployed addresses (tight @$$e$).

Which organizations? I bet the organizations will not allow eliquid.
Does that mean families send their military family things via organizations instead of direct? I am confused.

Iluvthearmy

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
The Desert
I mean if you were to just want to lend a hand with things like socks and such, the only way to send out packages without knowing the soldiers or their families would be to make donations to org's such as opgratitude or operation first response. But if you want to send personalized stuff (like e-juice) you have to know the soldiers APO address wich can only be gotten from the soldier or someone who knows the soldier. I know it's kindof confusing, but feel free to ask anything pm or just on this thread. I'll do anything I can to help the guys and girls over there now.

ImJustAvg

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
Having retired from the military, with many deployments under my belt, I think this is a great idea. However, you have to understand that military personnel will be a little leary of giving out their APO and FPO addresses to people they don't know. Plus what they need will depend on the time of the year, where they are deployed to and how long people have been deployed there will determine what they need. For example: Desert deploymnet - wet ones for cleaning up since showers aren't readily available. And sunblock is always in short supply. And if you plan on sending something to eat - make sure it doesn't melt in the heat.

What I would suggest if anyone of us has good contacts with a supplier, talk to them and see if they could set up an automatic resupply of ejuice/attys/carts for deployed personnel AND set up a donation page for the rest of us to help pay for their supplies. Then we could do our best to get the word out to the deploying personnel on where to go to get on the automatic resupply. Maybe, the supplier would put a little card or note into their package with the person that had paid for it. Then when the guy writes to thank them - they could also tell us what else they need. THEN that person becomes the point of contact for that military person. If the POC doesn't have the means to supply his/her contact, they could come back on here and ask for help from the rest of us.

Iluvthearmy

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2011
The Desert
justavg is right on all counts..except the showers..thank god they finally have showers in most FOBs.And I allways liked getting melted kitkats myself, but hey to each his own lol. Also, if anyone knows a supplier willing to do an automatic bill and ship situation (doesn't even have to be donations I'll pay for juice and atty's happily) I would greatly appreciate if you could set me up with a name. I did contact TW, and being that the GM was royal navy he is willing to work with me, but I have yet to hear a definate response from him.

As a military spouse, I would liek to say thank you guys as well. This is an awesome idea, especially since service members who often get depressed out there are kind of "encouraged" to smoke because of the nicotine. Sending e-cigg stuff really would be a great way for those who have managed to quit and are being sent over.
One way to get some information on what you can and cannot send would be to contact a family support center from your local base (or closest base). They can sometimes get you in touch with an organization sending out care packages and some more recommended items or even explain how you can send it out.
Also as far as juices and stuff goes, if the retailer can seal the bottle or being in direct contact with a servicemember's spouse or parents can really go a long way on that as well and probably be more successful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread