How can you even use the smallest switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

raidy

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Germany
Everyone knows the problem. They want to use small switches, but could not withstand the current. This little circuit for much the same as $ 2 solves the problem. It is so sensitive that even a not too dry enough fingers to turn the atty. Or any small switch. The current on the switch is now less then 1/1000 mA.

Last edited:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
!!You need EXACTLY the IRL3103, other FETs wont't work with 3.6V!!
And why is that? It seems if it can handle the current we need, and the Gate Threshold Voltage is equal to or less the 2.5V the mosfet should work.

How about.

http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/669943IR.pdf

or

http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/irlr3114zpbf.pdf

or

http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/irf8736pbf.pdf

And folks should realize that shorting the contacts will fire the switch. So some cauution is required. Also note playing with the resistor value where Raidy shows 2-4M will determine the sensitivity (and dry hand response).

I made a working one but didn't really like it. I tend to leave my thumb/finger on the switch, push then let off a bit, with the TS you gotta remember to pull off completely, I prefer the tactile feel of a large, real switch. Preferably one with a click.

YMMV.

raidy

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Germany
because that one ist tested. And because german users has no success with other ones which sould work by datasheet. But you're right, expert can find 100 other types of FET's which work. But i give no support on questions with other configurations.
That's why.

EDIT: First one looks good, last one is SMD. Who can solder SMD?

Last edited:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
.... can find 100 other types of FET's which work. But i give no support on questions with other configurations.
That's why.

EDIT: First one looks good, last one is SMD. Who can solder SMD?
This guy.

Who surprisingly has been absent from all these atty posts. :confused:

raidy

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Germany
This guy.

Who surprisingly has been absent from all these atty posts. :confused:

So take a look to the german forum. There a complete pulse electronic with mp an programm which controls fast heatup and temperature of atty. its available in normal DIP and in SMD technologie. But its only made for experts. You seems to be one.

Last edited:

Gummy Bear

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2010
orlando fl
agummybear.deviantart.com
I made a working one but didn't really like it. I tend to leave my thumb/finger on the switch, push then let off a bit, with the TS you gotta remember to pull off completely, I prefer the tactile feel of a large, real switch. Preferably one with a click.

YMMV.

I have a nice small flat tac switch that would be great for this. So just for simple on/off, what would the resistor specks be? I won't need the sensitivity for dry fingers.

Last edited:

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
I have a nice small flat tac switch that would be great for this. So just for simple on/off, what would the resistor specks be? I won't need the sensitivity for dry fingers.
With a switch it's even simpler. And you only need one resister and the value is not that critical. In Raidy's diagram just delete the first 1K resistor and just wire direct to 'G' (GND) on the mosfet. Nuck uses a 10k on his 5V Fistpack, bigblue is showing a 47k.

Mosfet_n-ch_circuit2.jpg

Just use one of the mosfets that need 2.5V or lower to fire. And note you are switching the negative. If you are using it in a pipe or flashlight mod just flip the battery around (making it a positive ground).

Also note a mosfet is no excuse to use a cheap switch. Many vapers 'press' 900+ times a day. folks like roadrash probably double that. :laugh:

stouchon

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2010
Kyle, TX
@raidy

I received the mosfet's and wired up the same as your diagram with led. I am using small steel nails cut off at 1/8 inch for sensors. Sometimes it works great, most times I have to push very hard and move my finger around to get it to fire. It won't fire in my pocket but the inconsistency is tiresome. Should I raise the resistance or lower the resistance or use something besides steel for the sensors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread