The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

How can you tell if there's Diacetyl in your juice

Discussion in 'Media and General News' started by Vic Vape, Dec 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Vic Vape

Vic Vape Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 1, 2015
    I read today that scientists at Boston University found the stuff in 75% of the juices they tested. This is scary to me. How do you know if it's in your juice? Hope someone can answer this, thanks!!

2. AzPlumber

AzPlumber Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2011
    Arizona
  3. Vic Vape

Oct 1, 2015
    Hey thanks AZplumber, it figures it's the same fear tactic they always use. I once vape liquid with it and it was harsh and weird tasting too, when I read the label it was actually listed there.

4. DC2

DC2 Tootie Puffer Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    • Like Like x 5
  5. skoony

skoony Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 31, 2013
    saint paul,mn,usa
    The general rule of thumb is, if you like it it has the bad stuff.
    regards
    mike

• Like Like x 9
  6. DC2

DC2 Tootie Puffer Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Vic Vape

Oct 1, 2015
    This forum works! Thanks, I thought I was gonna cough up some popcorn, now I feel safe again. Mike you are right, few things we like are good for us. Sex is the only exception lol!

8. Kurt

Kurt Quantum Vapyre ECF Veteran

Sep 16, 2009
    Philadelphia
    This is not true at all. But I will agree that these compounds do make juices quite delicious.

If on the exhale you detect a lingering creaminess in the mouth, especially if the name has "cream" or "custard" or "caramel" in the name, then there is a better chance they are present at concerning levels. I used to love creamy flavors too, but since I have been involved in the science of this (co-author of the original Farsalinos paper), my tastes have changed. I make my own liquids DIY, I use minimal flavors in general, but I only use flavors verified to be free of these, as in lab tests, NOT just a website claiming this with words, but no test analysis published.

I am very glad indeed that someone has compiled this list of current vendors trying to do the right thing. They need the support of vaping customers, since it is expensive and arduous to get a good line of verified DA/AP-free eliquids.

• Like Like x 11
  9. Kent C

Kent C ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 12, 2009
    NW Ohio US
    "a better chance" but not all.

"I mentioned elsewhere that FlavourArt's Custard Cream (both flavors under suspect) have no Diacetyl or acetyl proprionyl. Even their butterscotch is 'Not detectable' on both.

http://flavourartnaflavourreports.com/assets/0715-502-58.pdf

Check out any flavor here:
    http://flavourartnaflavourreports.com/"

"It only takes ONE bad chemical"

• Like Like x 4
  10. DC2
    This message by DC2 has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Dec 26, 2015, Reason: Keep it on topic please.
    Dec 10, 2015
  11. roxynoodle
    This message by roxynoodle has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Dec 26, 2015, Reason: Keep it on topic please.
    Dec 11, 2015
  12. Kent C
    This message by Kent C has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Dec 26, 2015, Reason: Keep it on topic please.
    Dec 11, 2015
  13. DC2
    This message by DC2 has been removed from public view. Deleted by a moderator, Dec 26, 2015, Reason: Keep it on topic please.
    Dec 11, 2015
  14. cigarbabe

cigarbabe Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 20, 2010
    Boston,MA.
    Frankly if diacetyl hasn't killed me in the 5+ I've been vaping it isn't likely to in the near future.
    I will continue to vape all my favorite creamy jooz's!
    I hear vaping can cause blindness too!

C.B.[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  15. Jman8

Jman8 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    Wisconsin
    That's not entirely accurate. It's only the unflavored that does this. Of course we don't for sure know this, but in 30 years we will know (that it for sure does, and it is impossible to disagree with this supposition).

That's why I'm starting a thread called "the unflavored-free thread" so that I can save all the other vapers from walking down the path of (political) blindness.

• Like Like x 3
  16. EBates

EBates Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Nov 4, 2013
    Texas
    I just Love a good Witch Hunt, don't you. The ANTZ put a flag on our tail (DA/AP) and we all run in circles like the Dogs we become.
    The Rats are definitely winning.:facepalm:

17. coilburner

coilburner Account closed on request ECF Veteran

Jul 3, 2015
  18. LoveVanilla

LoveVanilla Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Nov 23, 2013
    Texas
    Don't accept the BS from apologists -- this crap should NOT be in our juice. Fine if some insist on their right to destroy their lungs -- but the naive and uninformed should not be subjected. And we have some vendors who have directly LIED for YEARS (e.g. "All Flavoring Diacetyl Free!") .

Make sure you know who you are dealing with, DIY using fully tested flavors, or vape unflavored. Sad it has come to this but greed and capitalism no longer have any fears or boundaries.

19. skoony

Jul 31, 2013
    saint paul,mn,usa
    I do not know where you are coming up with this so called right to destroy ones lung's. I can assure
    that is nowhere near the truth. Others and I that have weighed in on the side of rational thinking
    realize that some may be concerned about diacetyl. That's perfectly fine. If one chooses diketone free
    juice is the way to go,no doubt about it.
    On the other hand I for one am offended and tired of the rude thoughtless comments directed at others
    including myself because we do not believe the diacetyl/diketone issue is probably going to be the
    issue it is in industrial settings. As of today right now there is no evidence that diketones are even causing
    minor issues when used in e-juice. There are very good reasons for this. Calling us naive and uninformed
    leads me to believe that perhaps you do not know as much about "popcorn lung" as perhaps you should.
    In the mean time i hope you have observed that those of us on the other side have never ridiculed those
    that choose to go diketone free.(unless insulted first) We respect your choice. Please show some respect for
    ours.
    As for the vendors it is well known they are no more knowledgeable than your average vaper. These so called
    LIES are more of a result of slick email and phoning campaigns by zealios anti-diketone crusaders than any
    deliberate attempt to deceive or harm customers. Diketones were not listed as a separate ingredient on
    the flavors. Some flavor makers were unaware of what diketones were. It took a few years to figure out
    what the heck people were so darned fired about. A very small but righteously vocal group of people I
    might add.
    In conclusion let me point out that whatever choice you make is your choice. However do not expect
    the whole world to beat a path to your door to thank you for saving them.

Happy Holidays and Regards
    Mike

• Like Like x 13
  20. Rossum

Rossum Surly Curmudgeon Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SW VA
    Countered by zealous pro-diketone apologists.

• Like Like x 1
  21. skoony

Jul 31, 2013
    saint paul,mn,usa
    And I apologized when?
    Regards
    Mike

• Like Like x 2
  22. retired1

retired1 Administrator Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 5, 2013
    Texas
    Keep it on topic and knock off the bickering.

• Like Like x 1
  23. LaraC

LaraC Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 6, 2013
    Tennessee
    Definition of "apologist"
    noun
    1. a person who makes a defense in speech or writing of a belief, idea,etc.

• Like Like x 2
  24. JJOOHHNN

JJOOHHNN Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 19, 2013
    USA
    I like diacetyl, more please.

• Like Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.