How Confident Are You In Kanthal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
Like the title says, how confident are you that vaping using kanthal as a heating element is safe? Theoretically it should be (we heat it way below the vaporization temperature), but are you concerned that trace amounts of metals are inhaled by vaping using an RDA that has a kanthal coil?
@Alien Traveler took some really neat close ups of kanthal wire before and after use with a SEM, and I don't remember them losing any metal from the before and after pics. I'm pretty darn confident we aren't inhaling much of anything. Decide for yourself; he's got more in this thread.
Coil under electron microscope | E-Cigarette Forum

Reactions: GoBlue88

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I'm more confident about a kanthal coil that I wrap myself than I am with a factory fused nr/r/nr coil. As for the kanthal itself, theoretically, if you're not vaping it dry, it shouldn't be emitting anything. Even if you vaped it dry, it would take a lot to get it to temperatures where it would be a problem.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Id rather do Kanthal than welding or a welders helper... imagine all the stuff they breathe...

That's for sure. I was a welder for nearly 40 years. Breathed a lot of nasty stuff. I'm not worried about a little kanthal.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I remember many years back a 'scientific study' revealing that burnt toast was carcinogenic was plastered all over the news. Six months or so later this another study revealed that this was not the case. My consumption of toast did not change.

Fantazmagoricl

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2015
Chesterfield
Id rather do Kanthal than welding or a welders helper... imagine all the stuff they breathe...

I'm a plater/welder and your right the stuff we breath in is terrible so I'm not bothered about a bit of kanthal. My employer has even had air purity tests done in the workshop and apparently there's not enough exposure to warrant them supplying air fed welding screens but I doubt this.

IXIShogunR1

ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2014
VA

That's for sure. I was a welder for nearly 40 years. Breathed a lot of nasty stuff. I'm not worried about a little kanthal.

21 years of smoking, 2.5 years of welding in school, 8+ years as a professional welder, i even still do it at home for personal projects (i don't weld as a career anymore)
im pretty sure in the last 22 years of my life i've put more harmful stuff in my lungs then this

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
To me such arguments do not warrant my attention. If my tiny little 26 kanthal coil has anything even minutely toxic about it then it's way too small a thing to worry about. I smoked Marlboros, 2 packs a day, for many years, and I'm pretty sure just one of them had a LOT more toxicity than vaping for years on my kanthal coils could ever have. Moreover, I'm pretty sure that if there were anything significant to the idea of toxic kanthal BT and BP would be all over it like scales on fish. These nit-picking minutia issues are just more BS from the anti-vaping crowd, and can be safely ignored.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Like the title says, how confident are you that vaping using kanthal as a heating element is safe? Theoretically it should be (we heat it way below the vaporization temperature), but are you concerned that trace amounts of metals are inhaled by vaping using an RDA that has a kanthal coil?

I'm not at all confident vaping is SAFE. I am ONLY confident it is SAFER than smoking. I pretty confident it's safer than the smug that flows into my valley from the San Francisco area. (smog produced in the Bay area is called smug, see Southpark).

Reactions: tj99959

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Yes I believe there are trace amounts of metal inhaled.

Now, let's define "trace".

Only an assumption on my part, but as we use a coil, the resistance of the coil will slowly increase. The resistance increases because the wire becomes thinner. (higher # gauge)
    The coil in the carto I'm using this morning started life at 2.2 ohms, 3.5 weeks later it reads 2.9 ohms. So roughly 1/2 a ohms worth of metal is gone from that coil.

Last edited:
    Reactions: YoursTruli

mattiem

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Yes I believe there are trace amounts of metal inhaled.

Now, let's define "trace".

Only an assumption on my part, but as we use a coil, the resistance of the coil will slowly increase. The resistance increases because the wire becomes thinner. (higher # gauge)
    The coil in the carto I'm using this morning started life at 2.2 ohms, 3.5 weeks later it reads 2.9 ohms. So roughly 1/2 a ohms worth of metal is gone from that coil.
    I am curious. I have noticed that as I use my coils and they get gunked up, the resistance does go higher. Once I clean and dry burn, the resistance goes back to the original number.

That is telling me that it is actually the build up of material on the coil that is causing the resistance rise and not the wire getting thinner due to sloughing off the outer surface of the wire.

Not exactly a scientific method and doesn't prove anything. Just musing this morning.

I trust what I am doing now is much safer than what I was doing for 45+ years and am not gonna nit-pic every little thing about it apart. :D

93gc40

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 5, 2014
    California
    I am curious. I have noticed that as I use my coils and they get gunked up, the resistance does go higher. Once I clean and dry burn, the resistance goes back to the original number.

That is telling me that it is actually the build up of material on the coil that is causing the resistance rise and not the wire getting thinner due to sloughing off the outer surface of the wire.

Not exactly a scientific method and doesn't prove anything. Just musing this morning.

I trust what I am doing now is much safer than what I was doing for 45+ years and am not gonna nit-pic every little thing about it apart. :D

That gunk is burnt juice, (carbon) which is resistant. Hence the rise in resistance. This is seperate from the rise you get from aging wire itself.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread