How did you choose your SECOND everyday vape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokeroo

Nov 16, 2018
Toronto
Did you replicate your primary setup, sort of like a cold backup?
Did you buy the unit that was runner-up the first time around?
Did you go in a completely different direction (sub to MTL, mech to TC)?
Did you just give in to sheer shinyitis and go crazy? Must... not... add... to... cart...

The reason I'm asking is that I think I've found my first really great vape, good enough that I think it's going to help me quit cigarettes completely. Now I'm terrified at the thought of it dying, not to mention that I have only one mod. So I'm curious at everyone's thought process when they were at this point in their vaping careers.

Ken

Vandal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2009
NE Ohio
Always have a back up! That's a popular saying in these parts. I finally found a tank I like well enough and have a second on its way. I chain vape pretty much, so I plan on switching back and forth so less stress on the gear.

Another popular saying around here: always have a back up for the back up! :)

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
My first vape setup was a bag full of hand me down parts and a pen style battery. The parts included everything from 510 cartos, carto tanks, and a few cutting edge lol vivi nova tanks which have the long silica wicks. They were a little outdated when I got them but I learned how to make them work.
Cartos were messy and burned out to quick. The novas did not wick well enough. Got a cheap plastic smok tank that took kanger bvc coils because they were loved quite a bit back then and it was an improvement. Got tired of quickly draining my pen batts and wanted more vapor so I got a large Vision Spinner clone. But mouth to lung was quickly to restrictive to me...
My wife was given an Istick 20w and I liked that, started looking at them and saw the Istick 30w, stylish and still small, and happened to see an ad for the new and original Kanger Subtank at the same time and thought it was something I wanted to try. 20 watts on a .5 coil blew me away with the ease of draw, vapor production and flavor. Been going up from there since. Now I rebuild low resistance and run at medium high wattage. We'll see what's next.

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Always have a back up, smart decision. I started out with a single battery mod and knew my next one had to have 2, if you chain vape that might be something to look into. Just be sure to read up on here about battery safety, keeping them married - discharging and charging at the same rate, etc. Battery hygiene - keeping them in good shape and addressing any tears before use. It's actually not as complicated as it sounds. Feel free to ask questions, there's a lot of knowledge on here.

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
The reason I'm asking is that I think I've found my first really great vape, good enough that I think it's going to help me quit cigarettes completely. Now I'm terrified at the thought of it dying, not to mention that I have only one mod. So I'm curious at everyone's thought process when they were at this point in their vaping careers.

If you've found The One, then make it The Two --- (or even The Three) --- once you're solidly backed up, you'll have all the time in the world to explore alternate vaping options (and you'll find plenty of help here to assist you in spending your money)

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I just found something better than my first, relegating my original tank to backup status. Back then, I'd started with a Zelos setup with the Nautilus 2 tank. Tried the Kayfun Mini V3, liked it a lot - got several more of them as backups. The N2 became backup to backup to backup. Used them all on my Zelos mod. That's the tanks, but my 2nd mod was The Wismec P80, just because I liked it and knew I needed a backup. Plus, it used external battery, and by that time, I figured I was gonna vape beyond just getting over the hump on quitting cigs, so that seemed like a good idea.

So find something you thing is better than your original, and progress until you feel satisfied. Or never feel satisfied, and join the Shinyitis Support thread. ;)

edit: After posting, I realized that I'd done what Cornflakes, Vandal, and Asbestos recommended. I'd immediately bought a 2nd N2 after my first few days.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
When I found what "worked" for me to first get off the smokes (which is old school gear now), I bought a bunch more so I'd have plenty of back-ups. Each time since then, when I've found new favorite mods, tanks, coils, etc....I've bought multiples of them, too. As a result, I have a large stash of brand new stuff that I know I still like...even if it's not my all-time most favorite ones that I'm using now and have really stocked up on bigtime. It's more than enough to see me through for the rest of my life and probably a couple friends and a niece, too. :thumbs:

Pokeroo

Nov 16, 2018
Toronto
I only have time to skim through responses this morning but as I'm reading, I'm realizing that you guys are 100% right. I need to think of this as a tool to stop smoking first, then a shiny toy later. First order of business is business, which is to have a backup. Then I can play.

Thanks everyone for making so much sense. Maybe once my backups arrive we can talk about how everyone chose their third EDV :)

TGIF ECF.

Ken

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
My first setup was a stick with a Nautilus, hated it. MTL just frustrated me and while the stick was adjustable and a lovely engraved wood I was constantly knocking it over. Second set up was a istick 30w and a kanger sub tank mini, fell in love with vaping overnight. DL saved vaping for me. Finding what works is a beautiful thing. As @Asbestos4004 recommended buy a second setup of what's working. This leaves you worry free and the time to explore what next shiny thing might work as well for you.

Vaperer

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2017
How did I choose my second all day Vape. ? My wife makes her own pina colada with pineapple coconut and menthol. I Vape the coconut. It's all I vape and all I have Vape in about 8 months. I do like Halo Tribeca. I need to order some Tribeca for a change as far as vaping gear I have one extra mod in case one of ours break. I'm currently using a wesmac she uses a smok al85. A backup mod is a vaporesso swag. It just sits in a draw waiting. You got to have a backup

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I began vaping over six years ago, so the choices in gear were pretty slim compared to today. I started out with a cigalike starter kit because I mistakingly thought my gear should "look like a cigarette". Although I was able to quit smoking with the cigalikes, their weak batteries and tiny liquid capacities made me frustrated. Within a months time I was vaping with my first 18650 battery mod and cartotank. Can you say GAMECHANGER? Battery and tank lasted me the better part of the day instead of maybe just 3 - 4 hours if I was lucky.

About a month after that setup I bought my first variable voltage/wattage mod. Another GAMECHANGER! I could now change my vaping experience "on the fly" depending upon my "mood".

Over the years, I've changed from a MTL (mouth-to-lung) vaper to a DTL (direct to lung) vaper, which basically means my choice in tanks has changed. From using standard resistance coils (over 1.0 ohm) to sub-ohm coils (under 1.0 ohm). I've used mechanical mods, regulated mods, and "squonkers" (bottom feeder mods). Single, dual, and triple battery mods. I've built my own coils/wicks and used factory-made drop in coils.

I have "settled" on what I prefer to use. I loved the JAC Vapor series B DNA75W so much that I bought a second one to serve as my next in line backup. I love the comfortable feel in my hand: its not really a box or tube shape, but a sort of hybrid between the two form factors. The single battery lasts me the better part of a day. It is extremely pocket-friendly.

I grew tired of "rebuilding" my own coils (for RBA's, RDA's, RTA's). I prefer the convenience of using the drop in coil clearomizer tanks, so I use the Original Uwell Crown Clearomizer Tank.

I've written several blogs aimed towards new vapers that you may find to be useful:

Last edited:

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
After buying my first vape I came to this forum to learn what I had gotten into. One of the first things that I learned was that there were better adaptable coils available for my first vape. So I purchased my first backup based on that fact so that I could use the same superior coils for both devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread