The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

How do I choose the best e-liquids for me?

Discussion in 'General E-Liquid Discussion' started by Clutchkman, Jan 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Clutchkman

Clutchkman Full Member

Feb 6, 2017
    North Carolina
    I'm sorry, the question is so broad, and sounds dumb (even to me,) but I'm not a complete noob. I've been vaping for over 2 years now, and I've only found a couple of juices, that I can stick with. I smoked cigarettes for 25 years so I obviously like tobacco flavor and I also like a basic, natural strawberry flavor that I mix into my tobacco flavor. That's what I vape 95% of the time. I'd like to find something else that I like just as much, so that I can switch up every now and then, because too much of anything gets old.

I've tried many different brands, and flavors, and had a "sample box" subscription for many months, but there are so many juices that are good, and maybe great for someone else, but nothing that I wanted to continue to buy. So, I feel like I'm wasting money by not being able to narrow it down.

What I like about my tobacco strawberry mix:
    The tobacco alone is good, 70/30 vg/pg, 6mgs of nic. It has a rich flavor, good throat hit, and a hint of sweetness, that reminds me of cigarettes. It's also an inexpensive brand. The only downside is that it only tastes amazing with a fresh coil, after only a day or so the flavor gets more faint. So in goes the strawberry flavor. Its 80/20 with 6mgs of nic as well and I mix it about half and half. It has a very strong, natural kind of flavor, that seems to fill in the gaps, and add a pleasant new dimension, but it seems incomplete on its own. This combination gives me a throat hit comparable to cigarettes, with flavor that is equally bold. I vape it at around 43 watts on a Smok AL85, with a FreeMax Fireluke Mesh tank.

I've tried different fruit flavors and tobaccos, but none have been as satisfying. I don't want to be always stuck with tobacco flavors. I guess what I'm asking is: Are there any other flavors that are more likely to give me a strong throat hit with flavor that is bold, but sweet, and satisfying? Is there a group (like bakery, or tropical fruit) that would be more likely to provide a similar vaping experience? It seems like that somewhere on the net, there should be a chart that says: If you like these flavors, then here are some flavors that you may also like, based on the preferences of others with similar tastes.

I'm grateful to anyone who has read this far and could provide some thoughts and/or guidance on my very selfish question. Thank you and Happy New Year!

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. classwife

classwife Admin
    Asst Classifieds Mgr
    Ask The Vets Mgr
    Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Moved you from Ask the Veterans to General E-Liquid Discussion - you are going to need to participate in your thread :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Brewdawg1181

Brewdawg1181 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    What's the tobacco juice you like? I really only do tobacco, but like you, a while back I wanted to add a flavor, and tried a couple of strawberry types to mix in. It never really did it for me.

You might try RY4 variants - that's probably the most common tobacco with added flavor juice since vaping was invented. It typically includes vanilla and caramel. A RY1 is the least sweet, and the higher the number, the more sweetener. With the explosion of flavors available out there, they're not as popular as they once were. Various nutty tobaccos are still popular.

If you're not already doing it, it can help to have multiple tanks with different flavors, and even unflavored. Switching them up can re-set your taste buds, so you'll enjoy your tobacco & strawberry more after some time with another juice.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    You seem so pretty kind of specific with what you want (the right tobacco with the right strawberry) I kind of might suggest some of the other vapes you enjoyed, maybe trying them for longer periods? It could be you just have a palate that takes some time adjusting to something before you decide if you really like it or not?

Well, that's about all I've got. Good luck with it.

Anna

• Like Like x 1
  5. bombastinator

bombastinator ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    The easiest way I have found to find a new flavor you like is to go to a vape shop with a tasting bar. At a place like that you can try and compare 20 or 30 juices to each other.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Clutchkman

Clutchkman Full Member

Feb 6, 2017
    North Carolina
    Excellent suggestions by all of you, and thanks! The tobacco I use is 555 from Northland vapor. I like it very much, but like I said, the flavor could be a bit more bold, and long lasting, but maybe it's vape tongue? I wasn't sure if someone thought my set-up was part of the problem? But, I think you're right BrewDawg, I only really use one mod all the time, I should have a couple more around to mix things up with. I have been to a vape shop that has a pretty big tasting bar, several aisles of juices to try. It was a good thing that I went there, because a lot of them had great names and cool labels, but just wasn't for me. I would have totally bought them just seeing them online. I found one that I liked, Charlie's Chalk Dust, Wonder Worm, I think it was. The only downside was it was a little pricey. $25 bucks for 30 mil, I'm sure it's cheaper online though. Thanks for reminding me.

Sorry, for the slow reply, I was checking my email for a notification, but I guess they don't come to your email. Thanks again for the advice guys, this is a cool community.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Clutchkman

Clutchkman Full Member

Feb 6, 2017
    North Carolina
    555 tobacco from Northland Vapor. It has the nutty flavor you mentioned. If you're familiar with it, do you know if the brand you mentioned is similar/better? Thanks for the advice. The strawberry flavor I get from a local Vape shop in N.C. called MadVapes, it's just called Strawberry Maxx. It's not a like a candy flavor, it's pretty natural tasting, and doesn't have any cream, or vanilla, or cheesecake that you normally get coupled with strawberry. So, I'm pretty good with those two. I'm just trying to find other flavors (of any kind) that I can switch it up with, that I like that much. It may just come down to more trial and error. Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
  8. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I like a good RY4 flavor. Virginia is also a great tobacco flavor. You'll find that descriptions don't always match the actual flavor you sense from vaping it. For that reason, try lots of brands and flavors and decide for yourself what ticks all the boxes for your preference.

DIY is the best way to develop a sense for what combines best to your taste. Flavors are cheap and you get to mix in just the right amount of flavor to create something that hits the spot for you.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Clutchkman

Clutchkman Full Member

Feb 6, 2017
    North Carolina
    I was just looking up that juice, thanks for the recommendation. I'm gonna give it a try. I like your guitar as well, I'm a guitar player too. Do you have a band I can look up?

10. Brewdawg1181

Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    I can't help much with retail juices, since I diy. When I was buying juice, I liked Halo's Tribeca and Turkish, then moved over to Indigo's Duke and Eastwood. Indigo's a little bolder, but also a little sweeter.

11. chellie

chellie Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oct 24, 2014
    USA
    I agree with the RY4 formulations - usually a nice blend of tobacco with notes of vanilla and caramel. I smoked for many years as well and started with tobacco flavors and I stuck with it until the company went out of business (Johnson Creek). I then branched out a bit -- not much --and I vape flavors that are in the vanilla, coffee, caramel, toffee, tobacco family. When I smoked cigs I never switched brands and am only slightly more adventurous with vaping.

I had tried some cereal flavors and berry flavors and strongly disliked them so I stick with the above.

Right now I buy my liquids with max VG formulation and will sometimes add additional flavoring or mix 2 together.

Eventually, I'd like to try my hand at DIY

• Like Like x 2
  12. DaveP

DaveP PV Master & Musician ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I've played in bands off and on since I was in junior high and the last gig was a Christian Contemporary Band at church. I've gotten too old to hang out until 3am anymore! I've always had a full time job. Music was a hobby I loved and playing was generally on the weekends outside of the Christmas party season.

Here's a thread I started in 2011. It's full of forum members who play. it's been around a while and finally got closed down by admin for infrequent posts, but it's still open for read only.
    Musicians check in here. If you play, tell us about it!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Clutchkman

Clutchkman Full Member

Feb 6, 2017
    North Carolina
    I think we're similar people! I buy max VG too, but I'm not really sure why. The only difference that I know of is that VG is a thicker and less likely to leak, sacrificing some flavor. Is that correct?

• Like Like x 1
  14. englishmick

englishmick Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    When I started vaping a lot of the hardware had trouble handling higher amounts of VG. Now that's not so much of a problem.

I use a lot of VG because it seems to give a smoother vape. I don't like much throat hit. I did try increasing the PG to enhance the taste but it didn't seem to make much difference. It's often said that PG is a better flavor carrier, but a lot of folks say there isn't much difference. That's been my experience. The tank seems to be a more important factor in the amount of flavor.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Clutchkman

Clutchkman Full Member

Feb 6, 2017
    North Carolina
    That's great man, there's nothing like it!!

16. Clutchkman

Clutchkman Full Member

Feb 6, 2017
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the reply. I've been having the opposite issue. A lot of juices I try seem to be too smooth with no throat hit. Maybe I should try slowly stepping up the PG.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. chellie

Oct 24, 2014
    USA
    Yes, pretty much.

I buy max VG and, at first, I wasn't really sure why either- I do not say 100% VG because nearly all flavorings have PG.

Many have differing opinions - basically, VG is thicker gives more vapor and, in my opinion, is "smoother". I am not a huge cloud chaser or anything but I do like some vapor and I find it very satisfying. Also, I noticed early on that mainly PG seemed to irritate me so I've just used high or max VG. It is thicker, has a slightly sweet taste and there are even folks that just vape it straight (not me).

I do think that max VG can make things a little less flavorful so you have to experiment and find something you really like. If something is not tasting that great to me, I will add in another flavor to liven it up.

I mentioned I am not really into flavors. A tip I'll share is that I keep a bottle of like an apple pie flavored juice and if I seem to be in a slump not tasting anything (some call it vapers tongue) I will rinse my mouth with straight up lemon juice and then vape the apple pie for a tank or two.

Some say PG gives a better throat hit --I smoked for decades and I am totally happy with VG. I get a great smooth, throat hit with a nice amount of vapor.

I vape on coils in the .5 to .8 range and use wattage in the 20 to 25 range mostly

As time has gone on (almost 7 years) - I now use rebuildable tanks :) and I do notice that the coils gunk up faster - no biggie because I usually buy pre-coiled coils and it is so easy to change out. If you are using the drop in coils - the kind that you do not rebuild - you will probably notice that you have to change them out faster because they get gunked up. When I used the drop in coils I did not really notice there was gunk and just changed them out when the taste lessened. Now that I rebuild, I can tell when they get gunked up because the taste is not as good and I cough and when I go to change it I see all that gunk.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. chellie

Oct 24, 2014
    USA
    What wattage do you use? What kind of setup? I will go back up and reread your post to see if that is answered.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Brewdawg1181

Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Well, that was interesting, Dave! Seems most of my best friends growing up were musicians, but the only thing I play well is the stereo.

I scanned thru the thread, and saw clips of bands I hadn't though of in decades - Gentle Giant, Brand X, King Crimson, old ELP, some really good clips of Bruford & Buddy Rich. I'll have to revisit when I get a minute.

• Like Like x 1
  20. chellie

Oct 24, 2014
    USA
    OK I reread - you are satisfied but the taste is not good after a few days and you are using a tank with drop in coils. My next question would be - "Do you vape a lot?" like with high frequency. That may very well be the cause of taste decreasing after a few days - the coils might be getting gunked up.

I used the drop in coils for many many years. For about the past year and a half, I exclusively use rebuildable tanks. So, as I mentioned I do it the easy way --I buy the spiral coils and I change them out myself. You just have to wick it with cotton and make sure the resistance is correct. I do change mine fairly frequently. Also, it is much less expensive to rebuild.

You could consider that or try a few PG high formulations to see if the flavor lasts longer.

VG definitely gives a smoother throat hit -- too smooth for your liking and you might need PG. If it is is good and satisfying for a few days and then not --then it is the coils getting buildup. VG does that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.