The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

How do I get rid of the taste of my previous e liquid

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by GrantReardon94, Sep 26, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. GrantReardon94

GrantReardon94 New Member

Sep 24, 2018
    I'm new to vaping and only recently made the switch from smoking, I decided to try caramel from my usual menthol. It sounded appealing but oh my god it's like inhaling sickly Ketones and vomit of a caramac bar. I've emptied the tank three times and replaced with menthol but the taste is still there!!?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. EIHYPI

EIHYPI Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2017
    NY & LA
    Try taking out the coil and prime it with the menthol and this should give you more of the menthol taste/flavor. If you still taste the caramel flavor you may need to raplace the coil if it's a drop in coil tank. Caramel e-liquid usually has strong and bold sweeteners that make it hard to change from one flavor to the next. If you are using a rebuildable atomizer you would just need to replace the cotton.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Eskie

Eskie ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 6, 2016
    NY
    Advantage to rebuildables. Bad juice, clean and rewick. Drop in coils sometimes not so easy and you just have to bite the bullet and toss it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Menthol, mint, and cinnamon are about the strongest flavors that I know of. Be wary of those if you ever decide to change the flavor.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  5. United States

United States Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 17, 2018
    RVA
    Man, carmel is a toughy. Anything vanilla-ee is tough.

If you have a spare coil go ahead and install that. Meanwhile you can try soaking it but folks here have reccomended vodka for the worst cases.

I use hot water in say, a pill bottle. Shake it around, dump the water, repeat a few times then place it in a small ziplock with some uncooked rice in a window with sun for a day.

Folks say "awe man just change wicks". Yeah that's easy unless the flavor is in the o'rings and airflow too. I've had that happen with cocoa puff flavor and with that I just tossed the drop in. Nothing worked. Soaking the entire tank and parts seperately was required.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Coyote628

Coyote628 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 16, 2017
    Some flavors just dont go away. Raspberry watermelon candy. That one hung around for a while.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Vaperer

Vaperer Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 10, 2017
    Get an extra tank and change your coil.
    Changing flavors can be difficult with this type of tank. I don't know if that made sense?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. odieX

odieX Full Member

Sep 20, 2018
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Many people also use ultrasonic cleaners for their equip, I didn't get one myself yet, because warm water did the job, but in your case you might think about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Budgie

Budgie Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 6, 2018
    Scotland
    I use Menthol and Mint flavours a lot, if I want to change flavours, I re-wick or change my coil, I find it is the quickest and easiest way.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ryedan

Ryedan ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Yup, some juices are really hard to get rid of without rebuilding your atomizer.

So, what atomizer are you using?

If it has heads, you can wash out the atomizer and put in a new head and new juice.

If it is rebuildable you can wash it out, rebuild it and switch the juice.

Either way, if you do this right you should be back to a new atomizer which will vape whatever juice you put into it now as if that was the first juice it ever saw. Or you could just keep vaping the new juice until the old flavor is gone, but depending on the old juice, that could take a while.

Best of luck with it @GrantReardon94 :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Plumes.91

Plumes.91 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 30, 2012
    United States
    step1: wash the tank with agua
    step2: put the nasty coil head in a box/junk drawer and swear to yourself that you'll get around to washing it out with alcohol, but then never do that.
    step3: install new coilhead
    step4: vape & be merry
    step5: find that old coil 2yrs from now leaking all over your junk drawer

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Don't forget to change your O-rings if you have something particularly foul. And yes, coil changes and dawn scrubbing and soaking and etc. If it's not a glass tank (IDK) you may actually need to replace the whatever plastic tank you have (glass should wash clear) but sometimes plastics get permeated.
    Good luck,
    Anna

13. NicotineRush

NicotineRush Linux Mint/Mate Verified Member ECF Veteran

I just soak mine in high octane vodka or Everclear for a few days or so. (in some places, Everclear is no longer available so high octane vodka works just as well.)
    Never had flavor carryover using this method.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.