How do I tell my parents about vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StealthVape96

Sep 22, 2015
Ok so I've been vaping for a long while now, just over a year and I still don't think my parents know that I vape. I used to smoke for a little while socially and then just an average smoker for a little while. After two or three months of smoking I finally decided to try and tame my addiction and got onto vaping. My mother found my first electronic cigarette and opted not to tell my dad as he told us he never wanted me and my sister to smoke and told us we would be in deep trouble if he found us smoking when we were in our early teens. Although my dad was a smoker till he realised it was seriously affecting his health I am petrified of telling him because of what his reaction would be. I don't want to disappoint him but I feel I cannot hide the truth for much longer as I'm pretty sure my dads friend(s) have seen me vaping outside of work. Any advice would be great but please be constructive, not looking for someone to tell me that I am too young to be vaping.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
hi @StealthVape96 and welcome to the forum. I doubt there is an easy way to do this. But.... (there's always a but)... Why not just try the truth, like you just told us? You made a wise decision getting off the cigs. The second part will be in educating them, as some people are rather uninformed. There is a very large health and safety section to the forum, and it's very freely submitted, good and bad. It might be a good place to start.
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/forums/health-safety-and-vaping.24/

There is also a nice Media section with some great articles:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...armful-than-tobacco-estimates-landmark-review

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/forums/media-and-general-news.629/

Good luck.

Reactions: Susan~S

StealthVape96

Sep 22, 2015
hi @StealthVape96 and welcome to the forum. I doubt there is an easy way to do this. But.... (there's always a but)... Why not just try the truth, like you just told us? You made a wise decision getting off the cigs. The second part will be in educating them, as some people are rather uninformed. There is a very large health and safety section to the forum, and it's very freely submitted, good and bad. It might be a good place to start.
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/forums/health-safety-and-vaping.24/

There is also a nice Media section with some great articles:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...armful-than-tobacco-estimates-landmark-review

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/forums/media-and-general-news.629/

Good luck.
Thanks for the help I think soon I might as well swallow it and tell him, it'll be tough at the time but I'll be better off not hiding it from him

StealthVape96

Sep 22, 2015
Hello and welcome to the forum @StealthVape96. Glad to have you here!:)

Since your Mother knows, why not ask her for some advise on how to approach your Dad?

Check out these videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe6NqlIhyk3J6MiElkLb7rA/videos
Yeah that is a good idea, I'll have to catch her when my dad isn't around and ask what her thoughts are on telling him, for all I know he could already understand that I vape and not be bothered about it, we'll have to wait and see, thanks for posting.

Reactions: Susan~S

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
Just smash the TV. While they're yelling at you for smashing the television, go right ahead and chuck a cloud in their faces. They'll be so mad about the TV they probably won't even care about the vape thing.

No, realistically, be honest and come prepared with some facts. Like @Susan~S said, ask your mom for advice on talking to your dad about it. She might be able to open the floor or put the topic in his head so that it doesn't have to be you solo-confessing to your dad as though what you're doing is wrong. If you lay it out honestly and maturely I'm sure they'll realize that they'd rather you vape than smoke.

StealthVape96

Sep 22, 2015
Just smash the TV. While they're yelling at you for smashing the television, go right ahead and chuck a cloud in their faces. They'll be so mad about the TV they probably won't even care about the vape thing.

No, realistically, be honest and come prepared with some facts. Like @Susan~S said, ask your mom for advice on talking to your dad about it. She might be able to open the floor or put the topic in his head so that it doesn't have to be you solo-confessing to your dad as though what you're doing is wrong. If you lay it out honestly and maturely I'm sure they'll realize that they'd rather you vape than smoke.
It does sound like a good way of easing him into it, another possibility thank you :)

StealthVape96

Sep 22, 2015
Just tell the truth. That's always the easiest. "Dad, I know you never wanted me to smoke, but unfortunately I did. And now I'm using vaping to quit."

At age 16 I told my parents I smoked. The world did not end.
I know its not the end of the world, I'm just looking for a way to come out with the truth, I'd rather be honest about it then him find out, I think my dad would be way more hurt if he caught me doing it.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I know its not the end of the world, I'm just looking for a way to come out with the truth, I'd rather be honest about it then him find out, I think my dad would be way more hurt if he caught me doing it.

I think in our minds its harder to tell our parents something than what the reality of doing so actually is :). Quite honestly, it was a relief to tell them I smoked. No more hiding. That was 31 years ago for me :)

Now, no matter how old you are, they may still express disapproval, but that's when you need to remind them you can think for yourself and make decisions. I'm getting close to 50. I left home at age 17 for college. And trust me, my mom still let's me know when she doesn't like what I'm doing, lol! You will always be their child :)

Reactions: Jman8

DealFinder

Unresolved Status
Apr 7, 2015
Niagara, Ontario, Canada.
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Ok so I've been vaping for a long while now, just over a year and I still don't think my parents know that I vape. I used to smoke for a little while socially and then just an average smoker for a little while. After two or three months of smoking I finally decided to try and tame my addiction and got onto vaping.

How did this work out for you? Were you able to tame the addiction to smoking?

My mother found my first electronic cigarette and opted not to tell my dad as he told us he never wanted me and my sister to smoke and told us we would be in deep trouble if he found us smoking when we were in our early teens. Although my dad was a smoker till he realised it was seriously affecting his health I am petrified of telling him because of what his reaction would be. I don't want to disappoint him but I feel I cannot hide the truth for much longer as I'm pretty sure my dads friend(s) have seen me vaping outside of work. Any advice would be great but please be constructive, not looking for someone to tell me that I am too young to be vaping.

Depending how you respond to question above would affect my advice. If you were able to tame the addiction to smoking by either cutting out smoking or cutting it down to place where you are no longer addicted to smoking, then you would have huge feather in your cap in how you approach dad. Come armed to that discussion with the other information that people are supplying in this thread. Tell dad that you have something you think he may be petrified to hear, but that you firmly believe has a positive spin to it. IOW, tell him that for awhile you were addicted to smoking, like he was at one time, and that you sought to overcome that via vaping. Then you can tell him how much that worked out for you (or didn't, depends on answer to the question above) and then how the discussion goes from there is anyone's guess. But you'll know better than us, and you can anticipate certain things he may say and also speculate on how you might respond.

In essence, I would approach dad and let him know you too were able to triumph over addiction to smoking (if that is the case), that vaping is determined by many scientific types to be far safer than smoking and that in your personal experience it is (I'm assuming that's true for you). I'd also play the card of, "I was reluctant to tell you this out of fear of how you'd respond, but I really don't wish to disappoint you. I'm not sure if I can emphasize that enough dad. But I really do believe I have overcome my addiction to smoking and that vaping is what got me here. Had I not taken up vaping, I would have probably not brought this to your attention because of (however you wish to state this) my fear of disappointing you."

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Ok so I've been vaping for a long while now, just over a year and I still don't think my parents know that I vape. I used to smoke for a little while socially and then just an average smoker for a little while. After two or three months of smoking I finally decided to try and tame my addiction and got onto vaping. My mother found my first electronic cigarette and opted not to tell my dad as he told us he never wanted me and my sister to smoke and told us we would be in deep trouble if he found us smoking when we were in our early teens. Although my dad was a smoker till he realised it was seriously affecting his health I am petrified of telling him because of what his reaction would be. I don't want to disappoint him but I feel I cannot hide the truth for much longer as I'm pretty sure my dads friend(s) have seen me vaping outside of work. Any advice would be great but please be constructive, not looking for someone to tell me that I am too young to be vaping.

First off, how old are you?

That has a direct bearing on how to approach this with your Dad.

Reactions: stevegmu

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Lots of great advice has already been given, so I'll just take the opportunity to say...
It's great that you are so worried about disappointing your parents.

You were obviously raised in a good environment.
And you seem to have turned out well.
:)

Disappointment can be a much more effective and powerful tool than threat of punishment.
But only if everybody truly cares about each other as individuals.

If a son or daughter doesn't really care what their parents think...
Threat of punishment is the only option left.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
I converted my parents to vaping, so I may not be much help.

Be an adult (vaping is an adult activity). I assume you're over 18. Most states require proof of voting age to purchase e-cigarettes.

So, let's say you ARE an adult (by age). ACT LIKE IT! If you feel compelled to tell your parents of your choice, then do it. Arm yourself with some good information regarding the beneficial properties of nicotine and vaping, and get to it. Talking about it to a bunch of strangers on t3h interwebz is like slowly removing a bandage. It's just prolonging the discomfort. Go do it like the grown-up we're assuming you are.

If you are underage, you need to seek better parenting, because they have failed to prevent you from doing something that is illegal.

Sorry if I seem antgonistic, but your post is petty. My apologies if you are offended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread