The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

How do I unstick a PAPS X 1.5 switch?

Discussion in 'VapourArt' started by house mouse, Jul 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. house mouse

house mouse Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 24, 2010
    BFE
    My PAPS X switch is stuck and won't turn to lock /unlock. Luckily it's stuck in the unlocked position so that I can still use the mod, I thought it might just be dirty and need a cleaning. When I took it apart there was a little bit of gunk in it. Figuring that was the issue, I cleaned it up and put it back together. Still stuck. Any ideas on what I need to do to get the locking mechanism working again?

2. jpcwon

jpcwon Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 14, 2014
    North Easton, MA
    When you took it apart, did you remove the big nut with the square cutout in it? This is what causes the switch to lock/unlock. It travels up & down when the switch is turned clockwise/counterclockwise and locks the mod.

I would try freeing up this nut if you can, as this is likely the part that is stuck.....I could be wrong, but I believe if this nut was stuck in one position then it would cause the switch not to lock....

Give it a try and let us know how you make out! :)

3. house mouse

Oct 24, 2010
    BFE
    No, I didn't do that. Ang that's probably the culprit because it will turn just a hair and then feel like it's hitting up against something metal. Not having much luck with getting it to budge though.

4. house mouse

Oct 24, 2010
    BFE
    Ha! I got something bumped loose. Now it's working. Thanks for the suggestion!

5. jpcwon

jpcwon Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 14, 2014
    North Easton, MA
    Sweet!! glad to hear it!! No problem at all! :)

6. perseas

perseas Registered Supplier ECF Veteran

Dec 11, 2011
    Athens, Hellas
    After some use, take apart the switch and clean it thoroughly with a toothbrush, soap and water, dry very well all the parts and during assembling DON'T screw the locking nut all the way down into the switch base, leave 1-2 threads be visible. Then put the button with the spring attached, secure the switch with the negative post and you'll be fine.

7. MattyB1503

MattyB1503 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 13, 2012
    OC, CA
    Happens to both my Paps X's. But yeah a good cleaning get's it back up and running. Can be pretty annoying when stuck in the locked position.. I want to take a drag but don't have a flathead handy.

@ perseas, I will try try what you're suggesting, not fully seating the locking nut. Great tip.

8. perseas

perseas Registered Supplier ECF Veteran

Dec 11, 2011
    Athens, Hellas
    As long as the internals of the switch are clean, it shan't happen, we recommend a weekly maintenance, even for just wiping the parts to remove sweat and dust particles before they turn into grime. The tolerance of the moving parts is only 0,02 mm, so keeping them clean is a priority.

9. Calve

Calve Fat Bob Squadron Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 27, 2014
    Sweet Home Alabama
    An amazing difference this makes. Cleaned mine last night after a weeks use and the difference was stellar. Thanks for being so hands on perseas.

10. Pathology

Pathology Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 1, 2013
    Vienna, IL
    I clean my button weekly using the method Perseas mentioned...soap, water, toothbrush.

It -will- work for longer...but I have grown accustomed to the very smooth throw/locking of the switch, and to keep this at all times, you must clean it regularly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.